Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

I agree with what you guys are saying about the sound difference between one that is center cut and one slightly off center. Having said that the distance loss on off center hits is not as penal as with other drivers. I am finding that this club really goes where I'm aiming it. Some of that is the continuing work I'm doing on my swing but the more I hit this club the more I really like it. I've also found that to keep from having shots come off too high and to get that nice low, boring trajectory, I have to tee this thing low. I've actually gone back to using the more traditional shorter length tees and have maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of the ball only above the face of the club. The club just flies straight and long. Having now played the Nicklaus driver for a half dozen rounds and spent some serious driving range time with it comparing it to my R11, I can say that I am going sell my R11 driver. I am very surpised by this decision, but the results cannot be ignored, unless I just want to care more about what my clubs look like as to how they perform. As to that cheesy Nicklaus sticker on the bottom of the club, I just peeled that off. Now the bottom of the club looks very traditional.

Don't want a tone to think I've vanished here, just been sick as a dog and busy with some very important family stuff. That said, I HAVE been out with the ML4 and will be getting a round in tomorrow. 3 round update tomorrow but I can safely say I still love it to death. More tomorrow, I promise my fellow THP'ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want a tone to think I've vanished here, just been sick as a dog and busy with some very important family stuff. That said, I HAVE been out with the ML4 and will be getting a round in tomorrow. 3 round update tomorrow but I can safely say I still love it to death. More tomorrow, I promise my fellow THP'ers.

I doubt Tone will think you vanished.
adabaddc-bcc9-0ca9.jpg

I didn't even know he was a THPer.

Just from reading all of these reviews, I really want to give this driver some time in my bag. I have a low ball flight with drivers, so the fact that some of you are getting a higher ball flight sounds enticing. I like the fact that you get audible feedback on mis-hits as well. This driver sounds like a winner so far. I'd like to note that prior to joining this site, I was brand devoted to TaylorMade, but THP has shown me that other clubs can be excellent. A few months ago when shopping for a driver, I never even thought about Nicklaus. Great job on the reviews guys, very good reads.

You won't be disappointed, hopefully you get a chance to hit one

I now tap while I talk

Well, today I put the ML4 into the shop for a reshaft. Going with a Graphite Design Pershing 65-S tipped to play about 1/2 flex stiffer and to a finished length of 44.5"

I played my S3 yesterday for the first time since getting the ML4. My lack of consistency off the tee was very similar which confirms to me that it's my swing which is in fact a bit off (already knew it, though, as I'm just not comfortable on the tee lately). Two things I also know, despite my S3 having the Blueboard shaft which I LOVE, I prefer the overall feel of the ML4. And two, although the S3 impresses in the forgiveness department, the ML4 does even a bit moreso. I'd say they're equal on shots toward the toe but the ML4 is a little better at forgiving thin and heeled shots. Particularly with thinned shots, the ball still gets up and gets out there.

I'll pick up the driver on Friday, won't be able to play until Monday at the earliest... can't wait to check out this combo!

Well, today I put the ML4 into the shop for a reshaft. Going with a Graphite Design Pershing 65-S tipped to play about 1/2 flex stiffer and to a finished length of 44.5"

I played my S3 yesterday for the first time since getting the ML4. My lack of consistency off the tee was very similar which confirms to me that it's my swing which is in fact a bit off (already knew it, though, as I'm just not comfortable on the tee lately). Two things I also know, despite my S3 having the Blueboard shaft which I LOVE, I prefer the overall feel of the ML4. And two, although the S3 impresses in the forgiveness department, the ML4 does even a bit moreso. I'd say they're equal on shots toward the toe but the ML4 is a little better at forgiving thin and heeled shots. Particularly with thinned shots, the ball still gets up and gets out there.

I'll pick up the driver on Friday, won't be able to play until Monday at the earliest... can't wait to check out this combo!

cool im looking forward to hearing the results of the reshaft, forgive me if you mentioned this already buy have you played the Pershing before?

cool im looking forward to hearing the results of the reshaft, forgive me if you mentioned this already buy have you played the Pershing before?

Yes, twice. First in a G10 and then most recently in a Macgregor NVG2 Tour. I had the Mac made to the exact same specs and that club was far and away the most consistent and most accurate driver I've ever had. Sadly, I collapsed the face. I had no luck in finding a suitable replacement (cracked another one, next one I picked up had a dead-face).

There are many things about the Nicklaus clubhead which reminds me of the NVG2 Tour. Not the least of which is design as they're both constructed with cup-face technology. I just had a feeling about it so I went with the same set-up... VERY anxious to see the results. :smile:

Yes, twice. First in a G10 and then most recently in a Macgregor NVG2 Tour. I had the Mac made to the exact same specs and that club was far and away the most consistent and most accurate driver I've ever had. Sadly, I collapsed the face. I had no luck in finding a suitable replacement (cracked another one, next one I picked up had a dead-face).

There are many things about the Nicklaus clubhead which reminds me of the NVG2 Tour. Not the least of which is design as they're both constructed with cup-face technology. I just had a feeling about it so I went with the same set-up... VERY anxious to see the results. :smile:

sounds like a good idea to me, hopefully it gives you the same results as the NVG2.

So, three rounds to update...

Round 1 - 9/14 fairways
Round 2 - 10/14 fairways
Round 3 - 9/14 fairways

As you can see, not bat at all! Plus, in the three rounds only 5 were truly BAD shots, and that was all my swing. The ML4 continues to give me 250-265 carry on average though I did drive a 315 yard par 4 in the second round, talk about just feeling that you crushed it, the ML4 gives me that feel. Super forgiving even on terrible swing days is what is real and truly selling me on it. I love this thing.

Getting out again tomorrow, I'll be back!!!

Good update JMan.
Anymore updates testers?

I would love to hear more about launch, ballflight, distance, forgiveness, hole updates, round updates, etc...
This thread is all about testing and the more thoughts the better we all are. Thanks.

I have a 730 tee time tomorrow, will be my biggest update yet, I'm taking a notebook

I now tap while I talk

So, three rounds to update...

Round 1 - 9/14 fairways
Round 2 - 10/14 fairways
Round 3 - 9/14 fairways

As you can see, not bat at all! Plus, in the three rounds only 5 were truly BAD shots, and that was all my swing. The ML4 continues to give me 250-265 carry on average though I did drive a 315 yard par 4 in the second round, talk about just feeling that you crushed it, the ML4 gives me that feel. Super forgiving even on terrible swing days is what is real and truly selling me on it. I love this thing.

Getting out again tomorrow, I'll be back!!!

great job Jman. sounds like this is working well for you. Can't wait to hear more.

While I'm not a tester, I am playing the Nicklaus driver and can give my recent results. I played in league last night. It was really windy so I only used driver on 4 holes. I'm not the longest driver of the ball but average between 210-250 with my driver depending on the quality of the swing. On the first hole that I used driver I hit it 256 yards. The drive was a nice height with no ballooning and had probably 10 yards of roll after landing. Just that nice slow riser heater kind of drive that I wish I could hit every time. It went right where I aimed it. The next hole the wind was blowing across to the right and I ended up pulling my drive a bit due to subconsciously not wanting to hit it into a bunker that's on the right side of the fairway. It still came out nice and low off the club. And fairly hot. It landed in the rough so I got little or no roll and it still went 230. Next time I hit driver it was on a 434 yard all uphill par 4 dogleg right. I heel cut the tee shot a bit as I was steering the drive in an effort to find the fairway since our league is match play and my opponent had pulled his tee shot into the tree line. Distance was only 214 but it still was a very nice boring type trajectory. Even though I heeled it, the ball only had a subtle fade that tracked the shape of the dogleg and was in the center of the fairway. The last hole is a par 5 and I put a crappy swing on the drive so it ballooned a bit. It still did not fade or slice like I normally get when I swing that crappy. Since the wind was helping it may have held it a little straighter and the drive went 242 but probably 15 of that was roll. Still really like the feel of this driver.

Good update JMan.
Anymore updates testers?

I would love to hear more about launch, ballflight, distance, forgiveness, hole updates, round updates, etc...
This thread is all about testing and the more thoughts the better we all are. Thanks.
Please see my previous posts. More will be forthcoming.

Please see my previous posts. More will be forthcoming.

I saw them. Hoping for continued updates on the same topics hence the reason I said "more".

I saw them. Hoping for continued updates on the same topics hence the reason I said "more".
Since there were no comments I wasn't sure. I've discussed launch, ballflight, forgiveness, and my increase in distance.

Since there were no comments I wasn't sure.

I was not under the impression that that was necessary since it is long term testing.
The goals of the THP long term testing is continued detailed updates on the piece of equipment that is being tested.

I was not under the impression that that was necessary since it is long term testing.
The goals of the THP long term testing is continued detailed updates on the piece of equipment that is being tested.
Please see post #59. I've also discussed launch, ballflight, forgiveness, and increased distance at length. I didn't think my specific distances or fairways hit were pertinent. I don't want the reader to get a number stuck in their head, i.e., my distances or fairways hit, and think that will be their results. Does that make any sense?

What I can say with confidence so far is that this driver hits the ball farther and is more forgiving than any driver I have hit. I will continue to test the ML4 and post my findings. If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

Please see post #59. I've also discussed launch, ballflight, forgiveness, and increased distance at length. I didn't think my specific distances or fairways hit were pertinent. I don't want the reader to get a number stuck in their head, i.e., my distances or fairways hit, and think that will be their results. Does that make any sense?

Again I will say the same thing. The post said "more". Discussing those details at one point is not the idea of long term testing. Im not here to argue with you, nor will I, I am here to ask the testers for more updates and detailed updates. That is what long term testing is about. If that is an issue for one of the testers, they can contact me via PM and we would be happy to discuss finding someone else.

I really like what I'm reading regarding the forgiveness of this driver. I could've used a bit of forgiveness this afternoon. Question to the testers, on your typical misses how does the club react? Meaning does a hit on the turn right on you or does mostly hold its line minus the distance.

--
tapatalk

I really like what I'm reading regarding the forgiveness of this driver. I could've used a bit of forgiveness this afternoon. Question to the testers, on your typical misses how does the club react? Meaning does a hit on the turn right on you or does mostly hold its line minus the distance.

--
tapatalk

I was about to ask this same question.

For me its a slice, but that's my swing. I lose around 20 yards on average. But I'm getting it dialed in and its honestly really hard to mishit this now . By far more forgiving then my sf 2.0

I also find myself pulling my short irons out a lot more these days

I now tap while I talk

Good to hear Matt, short irons are always a nice feeling.

--
tapatalk

Back