VTS shafts from UST Mamiya

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone tried these shafts? What were your thoughts?

I was able to get my hands on 3 VTS shafts from UST Mamiya to demo.

According to UST, torque has been underrated and overlooked for years and the VTS is designed to change the way torque is perceived. The VTS looks at a players swing “DNA” and pairs it with their “linear torque profile” which according to UST is the relationship between shaft weight, flex, and torque as well as the players individual swing. Basically, they are measuring torque across the entire shaft and fitting it based on your specific swing mechanics. UST believes a player’s swing mechanics (Velocity) transfers energy through the shaft creating rotational forces (Torque) which translates into distance ball (Speed). The only variable among the colors is torque. 2.5, 3.5, and 4.5. The color is the torque, red is high, silver is mid, and black is low.

The VTS shafts are available in weight profiles of 55, 65, 75, 85, 95 grams (actually 56gm-97gm). Flex profiles available are R, S, SX, X, XX.

I got the 65gm SX shafts in each torque profile. I hope to go tomorrow and get some Trackman data using my new R11. I will post the results.

Here are some pics:
PICT0074.jpg

PICT0077.jpg

PICT0076.jpg

Thanks for all the info, OG. I think these are in the new W/S Fybrids coming out.

good info. I'm looking forward to trying these shafts out in the future

Nice, my golftec instructor, who's a long drive guy, asked me if I heard anything about these yet on THP. He's interested because of the XX they offer. I'm interested in the whole torque matching profile thing. Intriguing concept.

How did you manage that? Very neat opportunity there.

I quite like the concept behind the VTS line. So far I've only played around with the hybrid versions where I keep flip flopping between the Black and Silver. Trying them out in woods will be my next winter project

Thanks for all the info, OG. I think these are in the new W/S Fybrids coming out.

I hadn't heard that but it's great news. I hope more OEM's follow CG's lead and offer "premium" shafts as a stock offering. I understand that CG's corporate relationship with Miyazaki lends them an advantage in this area but I think more golfers, (even high cappers), need to think more about the shaft they are playing and less about the name on the clubhead.

I hadn't heard that but it's great news. I hope more OEM's follow CG's lead and offer "premium" shafts as a stock offering. I understand that CG's corporate relationship with Miyazaki lends them an advantage in this area but I think more golfers, (even high cappers), need to think more about the shaft they are playing and less about the name on the clubhead.

It's....it's....it's like I have a long lost twin.

:clapp:

I am really excited for you to try these out! I think I need to make at trip up your way to check these out!

So I went to the range today and had a 5 shaft shoot-out on the Trackman launch monitor. The attendent at the range didn't really know how to download/export the trackman results so unfortunetly I don't have data to show. I may try to go back Friday for round 2 and bring data back w/ me.

Shafts:
TP Fubuki 60gm stiff
Stock Blur
VTS SX black
VTS SX Silver
VTS SX Red

I started out with the Fubuki, then went to the 3 VTS, then the Blur. I quickly found out that the SX (Stiff-Xstiff) VTS is too stiff for me. Perhaps this is because of the notion that stock "made-for" shafts run 1/2-1 flex softer than aftermarket shafts in the same flex profile. My SS was running around 105 which "should" accomidate a SX but in my case it didn't. I got the best results by about 8-10 yards from the Fubuki, followed by the Blur (although it ballooned a few times), followed by the 3 VTS. Of the VTS shafts the lower torque version felt best to me.

Bottom line: this is a long winded post that fails to show much without the Trackman data. I will try to get back Friday for more results.

I think the ultimate moral of the story here is that is it imperitive to get fitted. It very well could be that the VTS shaft could be far superior to the Fubuki or Blur if I was fitted to the correct flex, or combo of flex & tipping of the shaft.

Nice update OG. I'm a little surprised that the XS was too stiff for you at 105 mph. To your point, stock stiff usually is softer than aftermarket, and that certainly seems to be the case here, as 8 yards difference is pretty significant.

i look forward to seeing the results....

i'm currently waiting on some shafts coming in for me to try out for the driver.

soem that have been mentioned were a project x shafts,matrix,ust and grafalloy.

i require a slightly stiffer shaft as the grafalloy blue and the matrix ozik xcon 6 were just a tad soft.

Nice write up, will be interested to see your results as you get to try them out again. Thanks for sharing.

I've been playing my TM 2.0 TP 9.5* with the VTS black 8SX since about mid October (SS around 115). I can't really say it was love at first sight or even first month; but I've finally gotten a feel for both the shaft and club head and I'm really starting to stroke some great drives with this combo. I believe it is tipped 1/2 inch and so far this version is showing me a boring ball flight when hit into the wind; which has been a HUGE plus for me. I'd been playing an Adam's 9032 10.5 with a YSQ X which felt awesome, but the amount of spin I could produce this that combo was unreal and could really balloon some drives. This combo has proven to be much better as far as I can tell spin wise.

I was a little worried with the tipped 2.5 torque shaft and 9.5 head that I wasn't going to be able to get much launch, but as I've grown accustom to it the higher I've been able to launch the ball. The last two weeks have really give me a nice mid launch. I wish I could throw out some numbers but I haven't hit this combo on a monitor yet I'm sad to say.

I can note though that for a low torque shaft I find it to have good feel and not boardy at all; just smooth. I believe with the 2.0 being a light headed driver I'd like to try a 6X or maybe a tipped 7SX so that I could feel the driver a little more. I do however have a VTS 8X RED sitting in the closet uncut; man I wish the burner 2.0 TP had the adapters so I could experiment >.<. O well.

Anyways, I really have enjoyed the shaft lately and I'm getting a nice mid-launch boring ball flight, one that seems to stay at that peak height longer than should be possible and has really increase my carry distance VS my old driver. There are some many versions and combos with this shaft I don't know how anybody could manage to test every option lol.

The new Adams A12's come with the VTS as well. I believe in the silver. I was hitting the A12 for about 2 weeks and loved what the ball flight looked like. No doubt about that. But just didn't like the feel, sound, nor look of the head. Maybe one of these is in order for the 910H???

Back