Did You Every Meet Someone Who Just Gets It?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Last November I met a new member at our club who was new to the game. He's my age, 56 and we've become good friends. At the time, he really struggled to hit a golf ball, he couldn't chip, putt, or hit a bunker shot either.

A year later he's a 7.3 HI, and shot a 73 today. He hits a PW 140 yards, his average drive is close to 300 yards (though I've seen him hit it further). I've also seen him hit his 5-iron more than 200 yards.

I've never seen anything like it. I've never seen anyone pick up the game so quickly and play so well, especially at the tender age of 56.

Did you ever meet someone who just gets it? Or maybe you're one of those golfers who do? I don't happen to be one of those. Shucks.

There's a kid who is a freshman at my school. He's probably around 5'4" and 95 lbs. he routinely shoots low seveties scores and bombs drives. That's pretty impressive and I can't wait to see what college he ends up going to.

Last November I met a new member at our club who was new to the game. He's my age, 56 and we've become good friends. At the time, he really struggled to hit a golf ball, he couldn't chip, putt, or hit a bunker shot either.

A year later he's a 7.3 HI, and shot a 73 today. He hits a PW 140 yards, his average drive is close to 300 yards (though I've seen him hit it further). I've also seen him hit his 5-iron more than 200 yards.

I've never seen anything like it. I've never seen anyone pick up the game so quickly and play so well, especially at the tender age of 56.

Did you ever meet someone who just gets it? Or maybe you're one of those golfers who do? I don't happen to be one of those. Shucks.
I had a roommate in College that could be the most competitive person I have ever met. He played golf every once in a while, and he would absolutely tear the course up! We always told him that if he played consistently and actually tried he could easily shoot par. He crushed his drives, could knock his irons a mile and had a good short game, but just played every now and then when we had a scramble or something going on.

I have yet to personally see that person up close as they are picking up the game. I imagine it would be fun to observe.

I've never seen anyone pick up golf like that. I did have a friend in high school who could pick up any sport, and almost immediately excel at a very high level.

I just started playing golf this spring, and am regularly shooting in the 90s with a few 80s sprinkled in, making me (unofficially) around a 20 handicap. If I were to go from 20 to 7.3 next year, that would be an enormous feat! And I'm 23, not 56! That is a great story...I'm VERY jealous.

Seems to me as though SethO picked up the game pretty quickly. Not as quick as the guy you mentioned, but I think he is on his way.

There's a kid who is a freshman at my school. He's probably around 5'4" and 95 lbs. he routinely shoots low seveties scores and bombs drives. That's pretty impressive and I can't wait to see what college he ends up going to.

Doubt he's a lefty :act-up: haha

imagine the potential he would have if he picked up a club when he was in his teens. great for him very jealous

My dad is just a natural athlete, 4 year started for 3 sports in HS, played college baseball at Clemson, went on to play minor league ball. I can't drag him to the golf course much, but when I do he amazes me. Just has a natural, athletic swing. Looks like he's barely even trying and he just make such beautiful contact with the ball. Makes me jealous everytime.

I have yet to personally see that person up close as they are picking up the game. I imagine it would be fun to observe.
It is fun to observe DD. We were on one hole and the tees were way up. It was 280 to the green and he takes out driver. I said, "Are you sure you want to do that?" And he hits his drive over the green by a good 30 yard and into the next fairway. On another hole he had 210 to clear a bunker and he did so with a 5-iron. On yet another hole he has 110 to the middle of the green and he asks me if he should hit his 56º or 60º, it's into the wind so I say his 56º. He then proceeds to hit it over the green. Oops. Hi hits these beautiful high draws.

I wish I could have picked it up in a year! I've been playing for 3 years now and have finally gotten into the single digit handicaps(7)!

I wish I could have picked it up in a year! I've been playing for 3 years now and have finally gotten into the single digit handicaps(7)!

That ain't too bad, either.

I have a buddy that plays every once and a while, maybe a couple times a year, but always shoots in the 80s. Its crazy. His dad played pro baseball; I think its just in the genes.

My cousin is like this. He picks up any sport he plays very quickly. A few years ago I took him out golfing and he said he had never hit a golf ball in his life, he was hitting it long and straight with what looked like an almost perfect swing. I have tried to make him take up golf ever since but between football, cricket and tennis he says he has his hands full. He is amazing at those sports too.

Yeah, there is a guy at my club that bought a starter set from Wal-Mart last year and had never hit a shot....he's 38 pretty athletic...about 6'2", I played with him a few times when he first started and he would shoot 110, 120,,,,then 6 months later I played with him and he shoots 86.....about 4 months after that I run into him at the range and he has a brand new set of Titliest clubs...Woods to wedges and a Scotty putter....after our range session we talk for a minute and both decide to play a quick 9....I shoot 41...not shabby....he has 6 pars, 1 birdie and 1 bogey and a double for a 2 over 38:excruciating:

Bastard....I hate him:eyepoke:

I know a guy who's been playing 4 years and creeping up on scratch handicap. He did all this after beating cancer. We have become great friends.

Neb, it sounds like you get it!

My son gets it, he's been playing for 6 years and shot regularly in the low 70's. I had him hooked up with a good teacher for a couple months and he just took off, really long off the tee and a great wedge game. At 22 He now loves to play video games and chase girls lol, I understand the girls but sheesh go play or practice instead of playing the damn games.

my brother the lefty... the only thing he does right handed is golf and he can hit a ball a mile without trying
hardly plays or practices but shoots low 80s high 70s
aggravating lol

I wish I was that good. It took me 15 years to go from a 23 to a 11. Good to see that some people just get it.

I played with my buddy today and if anything he continues to improve. It was in the low 40s and the wind was very brisk. He hit some jaw dropping shots. For example, I watched him hit a 5-iron 220 yards into the wind and onto the green (I hit a 3-wood); a 9-iron 140 yards into a howling wind, which went over the green (I hit a 5-iron); an absolutely ridiculous drive 330 yards into the wind through the fairway and into the pond. He doesn't hit every shot flush, but his consistency is terrific. His short game is getting very good too. It's hard to believe he's 56 and playing for so short a time. One of the mini-tour players, who practices at our facility, says there are some pros who would like to compress the ball the way he does.

*Raises Hand*. I am a 5.6 GHIN and I only started playing and practices for real last August. My drives are around 270-280 range when I get them good. My 7-iron length is 175 and PW length is 145. If I shoot 80 or over, it's a disappointing round.

*Raises Hand*. I am a 5.6 GHIN and I only started playing and practices for real last August. My drives are around 270-280 range when I get them good. My 7-iron length is 175 and PW length is 145. If I shoot 80 or over, it's a disappointing round.
You're a natural too then. :) Good for you! I'm not so lucky. haha

Back