Did You Every Meet Someone Who Just Gets It?

Last November I met a new member at our club who was new to the game. He's my age, 56 and we've become good friends. At the time, he really struggled to hit a golf ball, he couldn't chip, putt, or hit a bunker shot either.

A year later he's a 7.3 HI, and shot a 73 today. He hits a PW 140 yards, his average drive is close to 300 yards (though I've seen him hit it further). I've also seen him hit his 5-iron more than 200 yards.

I've never seen anything like it. I've never seen anyone pick up the game so quickly and play so well, especially at the tender age of 56.

Did you ever meet someone who just gets it? Or maybe you're one of those golfers who do? I don't happen to be one of those. Shucks.

I knew a kid in high school like that. No matter what sport he played, he excelled in it. All-State QB, all-world baseball player (he was an All-American in college as a pitcher, seemingly every year, but just didn't throw hard enough to make it to the majors -- long, long AAA career). He also "occasionally" played golf and had about a 3 hdcp. He was hitting 300 yard drives when basically John Daly was the only one doing it. Incredibly talented kid -- and a really nice guy too.

I'm a pretty good athlete and excelled in most sports (minus baseball..sucked at it) but I certainly didn't just 'get' golf. I practice and play a fair amount but I'm a very average golfer. I still love every minute of it though.

I knew a kid in high school like that. No matter what sport he played, he excelled in it. All-State QB, all-world baseball player (he was an All-American in college as a pitcher, seemingly every year, but just didn't throw hard enough to make it to the majors -- long, long AAA career). He also "occasionally" played golf and had about a 3 hdcp. He was hitting 300 yard drives when basically John Daly was the only one doing it. Incredibly talented kid -- and a really nice guy too.

I'm a pretty good athlete and excelled in most sports (minus baseball..sucked at it) but I certainly didn't just 'get' golf. I practice and play a fair amount but I'm a very average golfer. I still love every minute of it though.
Good stuff. I enjoy seeing good athletes excel at their sports.

Yes, I do.

The SOB beat me with my own clubs last week while his were getting new grips.

The last time I encountered someone who was a "natural" was about 20 years. This was not a good day for me. I was seriously irked that this guy was able to play better than me after just a few holes, while I was still struggling after 5 years of playing. I was so pissed off after 18 holes that I tried to throw my golf bag into a pond off the 18th green. And it fell about a yard short, lol. The guys were all stunned - I had kept my behavior quite upbeat and civil up to that point. Then we all just laughed all the way to the parking lot.

I never let on that the source of my frustration was more than just playing a bad round. There's nothing wrong with having talent - the new guy deserved some congrats for a great first round and that's what I gave him after we stopped laughing long enough to breath normally. I've been able to keep that green envy monster in check ever since.

The last time I encountered someone who was a "natural" was about 20 years. This was not a good day for me. I was seriously irked that this guy was able to play better than me after just a few holes, while I was still struggling after 5 years of playing. I was so pissed off after 18 holes that I tried to throw my golf bag into a pond off the 18th green. And it fell about a yard short, lol. The guys were all stunned - I had kept my behavior quite upbeat and civil up to that point. Then we all just laughed all the way to the parking lot.

I never let on that the source of my frustration was more than just playing a bad round. There's nothing wrong with having talent - the new guy deserved some congrats for a great first round and that's what I gave him after we stopped laughing long enough to breath normally. I've been able to keep that green envy monster in check ever since.
Well, I'm glad to hear you clubs didn't make it to the pond. I understand what you must have been feeling. I play with a lot of very good golfers. It just makes me work that much harder. Will I ever "get it"? I don't know.

I have yet to play with anyone like that, but I did go to a get together with JT and I only really saw his first drive. He was under parallel with his driver which shows incredible discipline for a young squirt. As I remember, he played pretty well with Ole Gray.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I have yet to play with anyone like that, but I did go to a get together with JT and I only really saw his first drive. He was under parallel with his driver which shows incredible discipline for a young squirt. As I remember, he played pretty well with Ole Gray.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Yep the young man has a really good golf game and he is going to kick some butt in his 2012 HS golf season :deadhorse:

I played a few rounds over the years at an annual Kiwanis outing. Long story short, the guy I play with is 63 years old, coaches soccer for fun. only plays 1 or 2 rounds a year, plays with an origional set of Haig Ultra's that he bought when he was in college and breaks 80 every time I play with him ! He just knows how to kick it around and score. I totally hate the guy, but also love him to death ! I'm just jealous ! I would love to have his calm demeaner and golf game !

I played a few rounds over the years at an annual Kiwanis outing. Long story short, the guy I play with is 63 years old, coaches soccer for fun. only plays 1 or 2 rounds a year, plays with an origional set of Haig Ultra's that he bought when he was in college and breaks 80 every time I play with him ! He just knows how to kick it around and score. I totally hate the guy, but also love him to death ! I'm just jealous ! I would love to have his calm demeaner and golf game !
Great post! :)

Back