Wedge recommendations and set up

shewythemuss

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the market for some new wedges,I currently game the Ping Eye 2 wedges 51 and 58 with a Cleveland Niblick 56 in a supporting role. My current Ping Rapture V2 PW is 45 degrees. So do I go 52/58 or 50/54/58 (not interested in a 60) or some other combo (e.g 49/53/57)? What do you guys use and what do you find is a versatile set up? Also what flex shaft is good for wedges as I play reg shafts at the moment.
I'm happy with my long game set up.

So make your case for your favourite wedge,

If you could find that 49-53-57 set up, that sounds great. Personally I own a vokey and a CG15, and although I like my Vokey, the CG15 is my favorite wedge I've ever hit.

I've tried so many different wedges (eidolon, cg 14s/15s, xFT, scratch, Jaws) and can't discern a huge difference in any of them... Not sure why, maybe haven't developed that feel yet.

With that aside, I vote also for that 49-53-57 setup if you can get it. If not, that 50-54-58 will probably be good enough spacing as well.

As for the shafts, I would recommend similar weight and flex to your irons. The closer you can get the better.

With your pw at 45*, I would go 50-54-58 from your options. My pw was also 45*, but my wedge setup was 50-55-60 just to keep the gaps consistent. As far as flex, wedges come in wedge flex, so you don't have to worry about reg or stiff flexes. My favorite wedge was my CG15 with DG spinner shaft. The head weight just felt perfect and it got great bite from a combination of the shaft and, grooves, and lazer milled face.

Try to keep the gaps between wedges at 4 degrees for even gaping. I have a 52 56 60 degree wedges. The gaping is perfect for me to keep the right distances.

the 49/53/57 is the Cleveland 588 series, I can get the 49 and 53 new the 57 I'm struggling with but could go 56 or 58 bent to 57.

i find wedge setup very personal and individual. i have a 45 50 56 and 60 wedge and use them all for different things but thats what works for me

I agree wedges are very personal. My PW is 46* so I go 51*/56*/61* to keep 5* between each club. I use the 51* for full swing approach shots. The 61* rarely if I need to get over a bunker or something. I use the 56* for most shots around the green and from the sand. It has 10* of bounce vs. the 51* and 61* which only have 6* of bounce. I would highly recommend the DG spinners!

I am a big fan of the cg15's. I play the 50/54/60 setup. I love that setup. I definitely recommend looking into the cg15's.

My Wedge is 47* so I play a 52 and 56. Don't bother with a 60 myself as I just open the face of the 56 if needed

When I replace my wedges I may change the gapping slightly

My pw is 45, gw is 50, then have 54-58. Had no problems

I now tap while I talk

Im switching to a 46 cg16 pw- and I have a new set of cg16's coming in with spinners- 50-54-58.

I think they have a touch more forgiveness than the cg15's. I love the feel of my cg15- but I lose alot of distance if I miss the sweetspot.

I liked the jaws and Mixunos. And I actually prefer a heavier wedge shaft.

Biggest thing to remember. You need to gap your wedges correctly so you don't have a big gap in yardages. Last thing you want is a 20 - 30 yard gap between 2 short clubs. The clubs will tell you the best which loft you need to fill the gaps.

I'm in the market for some new wedges,I currently game the Ping Eye 2 wedges 51 and 58 with a Cleveland Niblick 56 in a supporting role. My current Ping Rapture V2 PW is 45 degrees. So do I go 52/58 or 50/54/58 (not interested in a 60) or some other combo (e.g 49/53/57)? What do you guys use and what do you find is a versatile set up? Also what flex shaft is good for wedges as I play reg shafts at the moment.
I'm happy with my long game set up.

So make your case for your favourite wedge,

I like the 46 & 50 degree wedges that match my irons, and I just bought 54 & 58 degree Jaws wedges. I have had the 4 degree gaps in my wedges for years and it works well for me.

A 50 54 58 setup would work. Can bend them if you wish. 1* to 49 53 57 will probably be unnoticeable in distance I bet. Could notice a difference in playability as the bounce would change, only 1* there as well. My issue is I love Niblicks and they are wreaking havoc on my wedge setup. In a good way mind you.

Everyone covered a lot . Only thing I can Add is that I put DG Spinners Shafts in my CG 15's, and it was the best thing I ever did for wedge play.

Everyone covered a lot . Only thing I can Add is that I put DG Spinners Shafts in my CG 15's, and it was the best thing I ever did for wedge play.

Stop spending my money.

well after hitting a ton of wedges tonight I think I have it sussed! My PW although 45 deg goes roughly 110 yards as it has a very high flight,I tried a 50 and it was too close so I tried 52 deg and bang on 90-95 every time, so then I tried 54/56/58/60 and the 58 came up best at around 70 yards full on.
And the winner was______________Taylormade RAC wedge, I just connected with it,hit full shots knock downs little chips high lobs the lot and it felt just right,an admiral second to the Cleveland CG16 and Titleist Vokeys though, So ITS 52/58 for me this season.

Back