One Lesson, huge change.

Wake

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been taking lessons for a while, and it has made all the difference in the world in my game. But it has certainly been a process. Two weeks ago my dad took a lesson at Golftec. He went to the driving range that afternoon, and hasn't been back since. Since that lesson he has played his best golf in 10 years, if not ever. He was scoring in the low 90's, and occasionally dropping into the 80's. Since the lesson he has broken 90 every round, and he shot an 84 today. He has probably dropped his average score by 5 or 6 strokes, with a single half hour lesson and one range session. It's been really awesome for him, and crazy to see.

Has anyone made such a dramatic change with one lesson?

I actually had the same thing with my dad. For his birthday last year we got him a set of 3 lessons. In 3 lessons he went from shooting 100-110 to shooting high 80s and one 84 earlier this summer. It was an insane change. Couple little tinkers in his swing and upgrading from 1980s driver/woods made all the difference in the world.

i don't think i have dropped my score that much with one lesson but they def have improved my game and there are lessons where im finally getting it and making the changes i need to get better. Just wondering what the change was that your father made to improve so much with one lesson.

Dont be a tease....what did he learn in that one lesson that made such a big difference?

Sometimes it takes a while to click and get the muscle memory down. Once to get it everything comes together at once. Look at tour players it takes them a while after making a big swing change.

Tapaway!

Dont be a tease....what did he learn in that one lesson that made such a big difference?

I can't speak for anyone else but I know with my Dad it wasn't like a swing plane problem or anything. It was more of a grip/stance issue. Was an easy fix and one that cured his slice and helped him hit it straight and far. The next 2 lessons he spent on the chipping green and putting green and helped him immensely. I think actual swing changes or modifications could probably take longer.

I have a lesson tomorrow that I hope will lead me down a better road during the winter. Went to the range Sunday and ended up leaving half the bucket there it was that bad. My game is in shambles and at rock bottom right now. My concern is that I keep taking lessons to take a few steps forward but then its like it all regresses at some point and Im worse off then before. :angry:

I have a lesson tomorrow that I hope will lead me down a better road during the winter. Went to the range Sunday and ended up leaving half the bucket there it was that bad. My game is in shambles and at rock bottom right now. My concern is that I keep taking lessons to take a few steps forward but then its like it all regresses at some point and Im worse off then before. :angry:

Trust me, I was the same way at one point. I was hitting the ball decent before any lesson whatsoever. I was scoring in the high 80s to low 90s. I went to a 3 pack of lesson and I got progressively worse! My swing became mechanical and I was so frustrated that I contemplated quitting the game all together. I couldnt break 110. My short game was good, but my iron play was absolutely atroscious. I had the shanks and everything in between. It was pitiful. I took a few weeks to a month off and went to a different instructor. After one lesson and a nice video analysis, I feel much more comfortable and I am hitting the ball better now than ever before.

Video tape your entire lesson.

good to hear Kev.... glad your finally going. know youve been struggling a little.

Keep your head in there, you'll get there!! Let us know how the lesson goes.

My dad was a very inconsistent ball striker, hit alot of balls fat and never knew if his next shot would go right left or straight. The instructor said the reason for that is his swing was very handsy, and relied on him getting his hands back to square at exactly the right time, a moment late and it went right, and moment early and it went left. He wasn't dropping his hadns into the slot, his swing plane on his downswing was the same as his backswing. He worked on making that change, as well as a few minor setup changes.

This lesson was at Golftec, even before the lesson his numbers were good. He goes back for his 2nd lesson on Thursday.

When I took one lesson, I was hooked on lessons. My changes were dramatic at first and then I started overthinking everything and got worse for a while. I remember having four birdies on the first 9 holes one day and then I had a hat trick (3 birdies in a row) not long afterwards. I haven't done that since but I have been playing longer distances and challenging myself more too.

This is what my handicap looked like last year after I started taking lessons in May 2011. I went back up to a 17 last winter and it's been a long road back down to where I am now but I still take lessons and hope to reach single digits one day. I didn't start until I was in my early 50's and had been playing the wrong way for a LONG time. Don't wait to get lessons!!!

2339964510027173662S425x425Q85.jpg

I will admit that I have not had lessons but I intend to.
However I will often video my swing and research proper technique. For instance recently I began slicing the ball off my drives so I watched my swing, researched, changed my stance/grip and how I addressed the ball and it all but stopped the slice almost immediately. So I can see how having professional lessons can have an almost immediate effect. However if it is something that requires a complete change in technique then of course your game is going to get worse before it gets better.

That's awesome Kelly, I have taken a look at your lessons thread and seen the progress you've made.

I expected him to take a step backward before improving, but it has all been good so far. His golftec instructor said his swing was overall really good, just needed to make some small adjustments. If he continues to improve after the next couple the way he has after his first, he will shoot his PB in no time at all, he is already close. The crazy thing is his PB came in the days when he was golfing alot and hitting 300 yard drives. After basically a 10 yr layoff, he has been playing for 7 months and has lost 50 yards off of his drives.

Very impressive improvement! How often did you find it best to take lessons and practice? i.e., how much practice per lesson..

When I took one lesson, I was hooked on lessons. My changes were dramatic at first and then I started overthinking everything and got worse for a while. I remember having four birdies on the first 9 holes one day and then I had a hat trick (3 birdies in a row) not long afterwards. I haven't done that since but I have been playing longer distances and challenging myself more too.

This is what my handicap looked like last year after I started taking lessons in May 2011. I went back up to a 17 last winter and it's been a long road back down to where I am now but I still take lessons and hope to reach single digits one day. I didn't start until I was in my early 50's and had been playing the wrong way for a LONG time. Don't wait to get lessons!!!

2339964510027173662S425x425Q85.jpg

Ole Gray and I took 6 lessons together initially. They were about 1 hour together every 2-3 weeks. After that, I took at least one lesson a month by myself. Unfortunately I play more than I practice! I would say I'm on the course at least 4 times a week though. This all happened after I retired and went to work PT at a golf course. Finally have time to learn the game.

I really need to get some lessons if I expect to reach my very, very lofty goal.

Trust me, I was the same way at one point. I was hitting the ball decent before any lesson whatsoever. I was scoring in the high 80s to low 90s. I went to a 3 pack of lesson and I got progressively worse! My swing became mechanical and I was so frustrated that I contemplated quitting the game all together. I couldnt break 110. My short game was good, but my iron play was absolutely atroscious. I had the shanks and everything in between. It was pitiful. I took a few weeks to a month off and went to a different instructor. After one lesson and a nice video analysis, I feel much more comfortable and I am hitting the ball better now than ever before.

It's like you just described exactly where my game is and has been for the last month. Exactly. My iron game was my strength and now it's hosel rockets and fats. Driver is shat once again. I hope this guy speaks my language.

Beast mode from tapatalk

I'm kind of a "dad" in this thread. My first lesson, actually a swing evaluation at GolfTEC, resulted in a recovery of several yards in length and immeasurable improvement in attitude. I began to enjoy the game again and really like the process of improvement.

Thats great for your Dad!

I had something similar with a lesson about Driving. I used to not be able to hit my driver. I would top it, hook it, sky it, slice it, etc. I took a lesson and with one tiny move of my hands and my grip the pro had me hitting solid drives. It was a great feeling!

I think a lot of lessons depends on where you live. Here in the northeast in CT lessons are so expensive and I felt very little was gained. When I went down south for a 3 day golf school that included video and rounds of golf after, I felt my game did improve but not as much as your fathers. It's weird with me, my game starts off good every season and progressively gets worse and then gets kind of better right at the end. This weekend I shot a 43 on the front 9 and all of a sudden had a complete implosion and shout a 56!!!! Talk about frustration!! All my lessons went out the door and I just felt like i had no clue what i was doing, and had no feel for the club what so ever...one of the most frustrating rounds I ever had! I am probably going to back down to Myrtle Beach for more lessons.

Back