Tearjerker Alert: Former Lab Beagles See the Sun for the First Time

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Tearjerker Alert: Former Lab Beagles See the Sun for the First Time

Dog videos never fail to conjure up some sort of emotion. And this one really brings the waterworks. The above footage shows male beagles that were rescued from a California university animal testing lab seeing sunlight and stepping on grass for the first time.

The rescue mission, which happened in June, was recently followed by a much larger one from a lab in Spain. The group that undertook the cause, Animal Rescue Media Education (ARME), rescued a total of 72 dogs in the most recent effort, 32 of them having already been adopted in Europe, according to NBC Los Angeles.

[video=youtube;fXcL_gt7L-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcL_gt7L-A[/video]

ARME’s Beagle Freedom Project spokesman Gary Smith told the station that the beagles, all between ages 4 and 7, had lived in cages their entire lives.

Unfortunately, beagles’ notoriously obedient dispositions makes them ideal for experimentation. According to the Beagle Freedom Project’s website, they are the breed of choice for lab testing of pharmaceutical, household, and cosmetic products due to their ability to adapt to life in a cage and the fact that they are relatively inexpensive to feed.

When the beagles are no longer needed for research, some labs contact organizations such as ARME, who then work to find good homes for the dogs.

This heartbreaking (that soundtrack!) video was filmed back in June, when the organization brought nine beagles to Los Angeles to get a second chance at life. We dare you not to be moved by that first beagle’s initial tentative steps and soulful eyes.

ARME is a non-profit advocacy group and 501(c)(3) organization funded by tax-deductible contributions. Information on how to make a donation or adopt a beagle is available on the organization’s website.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/29...the-sun-for-the-first-time/?hpt=hp_c2&mid=541

God animal testing sucks! this is an incredible organization.

Last edited:
Well you convinced me to get a beagle. That was very cool seeing how quickly they started running around. Great work they are doing.

Saw this on Friday. Great ending to a tragic story.

Many more like them, but love seeing these get a chance at a normal life.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Curious here, if this research saved just one child from a cancer drug with bad side effects, or anything similar, would the testing be acceptable? No advocation here, just a question.

It is definitely saddening to see such a thing but we didn't get this far in medical treatments without animal lab testing. I think people forget that lab animals mean more than just testing on mice and rats.

I'm glad there are organizations out there to see that these dogs are saved.

It is definitely saddening to see such a thing but we didn't get this far in medical treatments without animal lab testing. I think people forget that lab animals mean more than just testing on mice and rats.

I'm glad there are organizations out there to see that these dogs are saved.

I agree, still sad though. I view lab animals as heroes. Sounds silly, but it really is true.

Unfortunately medical testing on animals is necessary. I am happy that there is an organization that will work to find good homes for those animals once their services are no longer needed.

This one lab I worked at we did testing on the blood samples that were sent over by the research labs. We would have specimens on, sheep, pig, rabbit, dogs and mice. I definitely understand the need but I'm not sure if I could work in an animal facility like that.

Wow those really are tear-jerkers. I am an animal love and have always thought it would be awesome to work for an animal rescue organization. While I'm not really sure where my accounting skills will come in handy when I finish school...I would love to volunteer for an organization like that to do what I can. While both of those videos are great stories, it is sad that there are so many more animals out there that are still being held captive in testing labs or in dog farms.

I turned this off 2:24 seconds into the first video. I can't watch as they pull these dogs out and go through what ever they have to go through, it's got to be sickening. Why does the research have to mean these animals are treated in this manner? Can they not be walked, or loved, or treated to the least amount of respect for the jobs they are performing. I should not be typing here right now as I am just mad as hell.

I've seen first hand what happen's to a dog after spending its life in a puppy mill and while it's horrible and wrong, it didn't hold a candle to this. My ex has that dog now and when that little female came home for the first time at 6 years old you could see her want of love, yet no idea what love really meant, let along trust. To this day she cannot walk in a straight line! (Several years later). Have you ever seen a dog walk in circles on its way to you? Her entire life was in a small cage, she learned to walk only in circles, but she learned to walk. If you reach down to pick her up she still turns her back to you, its the only way to pick her up as that's the only way it was ever done.

This BS has got to stop! I am all for research, but can anyone explain why it has to be inhumane? I am just sick

So, is that all there is? Do we just go back to our regularly scheduled show's and forget about it? This is a huge website, someone here has to have some idea who to contact to say stop this sh#@ now. Anyone?

I am a HUGE dog lover. This is sad, I thought it was great for these two dogs but couldnt help but think about the others being tested on

Animal testing for cosmetics is wrong.

What "sh#@"? Medical animal testing?

No, I think I was pretty clear in the inhumane treatment, not the testing. Sorry if I'm coming off pissed but I am. (Not at you BG). These animals can surely be taken care of in a much better way while in the "Care" of the facilities??

No, I think I was pretty clear in the inhumane treatment, not the testing. Sorry if I'm coming off pissed but I am. (Not at you BG). These animals can surely be taken care of in a much better way while in the "Care" of the facilities??

Animal cruelty pisses me off to Duey. Pupy mills are awful, I agree. I just wanted to be clear.

I also deleted that post because of how I came off in it.

Animal cruelty pisses me off to Duey. Pupy mills are awful, I agree. I just wanted to be clear.

I also deleted that post because of how I came off in it.

No, you were fine and just asking. I just feel kind of stupid just sitting here and not doing a fricking thing about it. We can put people on the moon, but can't find a better way to... not even sure what to say. just seems stupid and bad.

I've seen recently a video of monkeys being released from a lab ans seeing the sun for the first time. They were actually hugging each other.

Back