Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

I hit this driver and liked it a lot. Reminds me a lot of the K15 in terms of forgiveness. Was hitting some nice long bombs with it on the monitor, but for comparison's sake, was hitting the Razr Hawk a little bit longer than the G20. I think there was more forgiveness in the G20 though. A very solid stick.

Look forward to your review.

Very nice!!! As a K15 owner and fan, this driver is definitely on my radar. I love the general idea of combining the G15 with the K15 so I'll be really interested to see what the initial results and feedback are. I wish PING went with a better stock shaft but I'm intrigued by the 'high balance point' graphics on the shaft. PING's version of backweighting>?

Saw this one at Golfsmith last night and immediately thought a smaller version of the K15. Which was a beast of a driver. I just didn't get along with the stock shaft. Really intrigued by this one and hoping it sounds like the K15 at impact.

His this yesterday. I was recommended for the tour shaft but as the guy said the price is significantly less than a titleist driver. Although I did hit it straighter on the monitor I didn't like the feeling of the ball coming off the club itself. There were four shafts I believe that were offered(tour, stiff, xstiff and reg) just my two cents. But I can bet a ton of people are going to love this driver but I love a driver that is fit to me and my swing not just the clubhead/shaft.

His this yesterday. I was recommended for the tour shaft but as the guy said the price is significantly less than a titleist driver. Although I did hit it straighter on the monitor I didn't like the feeling of the ball coming off the club itself. There were four shafts I believe that were offered(tour, stiff, xstiff and reg) just my two cents. But I can bet a ton of people are going to love this driver but I love a driver that is fit to me and my swing not just the clubhead/shaft.

Straigher than your supertri? Was it longer by chance? Tour Shaft, is that a different flex? Sorry I'm just really curious about this driver.

Straigher than your supertri? Was it longer by chance? Tour Shaft, is that a different flex? Sorry I'm just really curious about this driver.

I actually tend to hit my supertri pretty straight and the G20 was right on par with it. Cause I was hitting an Xstiff it was actually a 73g shaft so I lost alittle distance(5-7 yards) but the launch angle stayed the same throughout each swing(between 13* and 15*) He tole me the tour shaft is much stiffer and the head(towards the head) because of their recoil on the shaft.

I'm not generally a fan of the Ping "look," but I rather like this driver! Can't wait to hear more about it!

I've have never been a fan of Ping either but I thought I would give it a shot and fell in love. I'm still going to get fitted for a driver but sure hope it's this one because it was long and straight

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

but I love a driver that is fit to me and my swing not just the clubhead/shaft.

Can you elaborate on this? Im a bit confused here.

Can you elaborate on this? Im a bit confused here.

I was hitting the Titleist D2 against the G20. I like having a driver that can have different lofts/diffterent face angles that is fitted to me. No changes can be made on the head itself but only a shaft can be messed with. To add a bit about my day yesterday...I found out yesterday that a shaft can make all the difference from distance to accuracy. I had the 73g in the G20 and a 60g in the 910. Although being able to hit the G20 more accurately but less distance and vice versa on the 910. I had more confidence in the 910 because of the thought of having it for my swing.

I was hitting the Titleist D2 against the G20. I like having a driver that can have different lofts/diffterent face angles that is fitted to me. No changes can be made on the head itself but only a shaft can be messed with. To add a bit about my day yesterday...I found out yesterday that a shaft can make all the difference from distance to accuracy. I had the 73g in the G20 and a 60g in the 910. Although being able to hit the G20 more accurately but less distance and vice versa on the 910. I had more confidence in the 910 because of the thought of having it for my swing.

But isnt that what the fitting is for? You get fit to find out what loft works best and get proper launch angles. Titleist says themselves that once you get fit, you should not mess with the adjustment side of their drivers. Fitting eliminates all of that and is far more than just a shaft that matches a swing.

But isnt that what the fitting is for? You get fit to find out what loft works best and get proper launch angles. Titleist says themselves that once you get fit, you should not mess with the adjustment side of their drivers. Fitting eliminates all of that and is far more than just a shaft that matches a swing.

That's exactly why I was there. I wasn't fit for my supertri and I really don't think it is built to my swing(I haven't changed it since winter-when I was battling a slice/fade). Yesterday was really an eye opener for shafts. I honestly used to think as long as you had the right flex nothing else mattered. But the weight of the shaft and the flex and then the head itself-if all of those are in sync you get so much more out of the club and I think that's why I was hitting the 910 so much better.

Thanks for the video. I had a couple of G5s one with an Aldila and one with a UST shaft from their WRX program, you aren't limited to stock Ping shafts. They were solid drivers as I expect this one will be.

Hit this one for a brief period today and my initial feelings are "okay". I liked the G15 quite a bit and did not care for the K15 as much. This is more K15 to me than G15, but still solid. Distance was good, ball flight was high and the forgiveness was there. It started raining on me, so I did not get to give it a thorough workout, that will come on Friday. I can tell you that after playing shafts fitted for me for the better part of 3 years, I still feel as though this is an area that Ping could still improve.

Nothing wrong with this standard shaft mind you, if it fits your game. For me however it was average at best in terms of working with my swing rather than my swing working for the shaft. It will get a thorough testing on Friday and then on the course on Friday as well.

It sounds like the shaft isn't any better than last year;s offering which begs the question, why would PING tweak the club head but not the shaft? I know PING is a big believer in their own fitting system but this seems like it may be another weak spot for them

Hit this one for a brief period today and my initial feelings are "okay". I liked the G15 quite a bit and did not care for the K15 as much. This is more K15 to me than G15, but still solid. Distance was good, ball flight was high and the forgiveness was there. It started raining on me, so I did not get to give it a thorough workout, that will come on Friday. I can tell you that after playing shafts fitted for me for the better part of 3 years, I still feel as though this is an area that Ping could still improve.

Nothing wrong with this standard shaft mind you, if it fits your game. For me however it was average at best in terms of working with my swing rather than my swing working for the shaft. It will get a thorough testing on Friday and then on the course on Friday as well.

I don't understand why they went with something similar to the K15. I actually like the looks, but the performance seems too close to the K15.

That's what I was feeling when I hit it. Thanks for your thoughts JB.

Taking this one out with the R11, 910D2 and Z-Star today in a surprise range session and will get some more feedback for everybody.

Taking this one out with the R11, 910D2 and Z-Star today in a surprise range session and will get some more feedback for everybody.

Awesome - look forward to hearing more. Will this be on your LM or a bit more subjective?

Can't wait to hear the results. Hoping the Zstar wins so I don't start pondering.

Awesome - look forward to hearing more. Will this be on your LM or a bit more subjective?

Launch monitor. Its packed up and juiced up and ready to go for the morning.
I did one recently with the RAZR Hawk with 3 other drivers as well in the RAZR Hawk Morgan Cup promo thread.

Are you able to put a shaft in there that might fit you better? I thought the K15 was one of the best sounding/feeling drivers I hit. Just couldn't mesh with the stock shaft to ever really give it a good run.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing the results. I really liked the K15 personally, the G20 is an interesting driver.

that's what I did dude, really unleashed the potential of the club

Are you able to put a shaft in there that might fit you better? I thought the K15 was one of the best sounding/feeling drivers I hit. Just couldn't mesh with the stock shaft to ever really give it a good run.

excellent, looking forward to your thoughts on this

Spent some time this morning on the range (practice hole par 5 at Grand Cypress) with G20 and a couple of other drivers. Had the R11, 910D2, Srixon Z-Star and Callaway RAZR Hawk. To be fair, all of these above had a Miyazaki Kusala Silver shaft in them and the Ping has its standard TFC shaft in it. However the results are quite intriguing.

Distance - 10 balls with each driver and kicked out the best and worst to get averages. All drivers were with in 4 yards of each other distance wise. Longest being RAZR Hawk and shortest being R11.

Spin - The Ping G20 (3760) was the highest spinning driver and the lowest was the 910D2 (2640).

Dispersion - Not a scientific test here, but marked each 10 balls with a different color dot for the driver. Z-Star had the best shot dispersion of closest to middle line. Followed very closely by G20 and Razr Hawk. 910D2 and R11 were behind these by a good 4-7 yards away from middle on average.

Forgiveness - This is where the G20 shined as it was definitely the most forgiving out of the bunch. Forgiveness was measured by distance loss + yards from middle. Here is a breakdown.

High on the club face - Surprisingly the R11 showed the most forgiveness high on the club face, followed by the Z-Star and Ping G20 then Titleist 910D2 and RAZR Hawk.

Miss on the Toe (approximately 1 inch away from center) - Razr Hawk was the most forgiving followed by Ping G20 and Z-Star. 910D2 and R11, absolutely punished this miss upwards of 30 yards in some cases.

Miss on Heel (approximately 1 inch away from center) - Ping G20 offered the most forgiveness here, followed very closely by Razr Hawk and Z-Star. Again, the 910D2 and R11 were pretty far behind in his area as far as distance goes.

I want to thank my new friend at Grand Cypress Jonathan that helped me with all of this and collected data from the fairway to write down. It seems like a small amount of data, but it takes some time gathering it.

None of this is scientific, but it was hard data and I hope it helps some people. There is a lot more information coming soon on this driver for testing.

Back