2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was so easy to just go right under the ball. I left so many pitches short.

I did that at Windermere three times in a row. I was too lazy to go back and get a different wedge, so I took a 60° and slid under the ball until I wanted to break things.

I did that at Windermere three times in a row. I was too lazy to go back and get a different wedge, so I took a 60° and slid under the ball until I wanted to break things.

Yah JB finally told me how to deal with it after watching me try to go up a cliff three times and laughing at me.

Mean guy.

It's much different than we have around here though. Our sand is no where near as fine/powdery if that makes sense. I liked the challenge of the different rough and sand, but there was a learning curve. I found I needed to hit a little further behind the ball with more swing speed to fluff the ball into the air. It's really kind of cool to see all that sand toss the ball out.

I guess I just dont see it as fine and powdery. On some of the "lesser" courses, where they dont water it down, yes, its like playbox sand. On the nicer courses it is hard and compact similar to the nicer courses around the country. At least in my opinion. PGA National was definitely not powdery at this outing that just passed and Grand Cypress has not been like that at all.

This was by far the hardest adjustment for me going down to the MC. Bermuda rough on short pitches plays so much different than bentgrass.

those short shots out of the rough are where I struggled too down at reunion

I struggled with that as well, until TC gave me a little tip during the afternoon match on Saturday. That grass is so different from the grass up here. I did like that the greens seemed stickier to me, it was a little easier for the greens to hold, but you had to get the ball to the hole on chips and pitches.

I guess I just dont see it as fine and powdery. On some of the "lesser" courses, where they dont water it down, yes, its like playbox sand. On the nicer courses it is hard and compact similar to the nicer courses around the country. At least in my opinion. PGA National was definitely not powdery at this outing that just passed and Grand Cypress has not been like that at all.

You may have touched on the real factor, in nice course's. I don't really get to play the better courses very often, so it could be I would find those similar. The few course's I play here that has sand takes very poor care of the sand. Many times its hard as a rock and almost clumpy.

Another thing to know on the New Course: know which color flag denotes the front nine vs. the back nine! There are a bunch of double greens out there, hitting at the wrong flag is not fun at all.

I played both of the courses back in February and had a great time down there. The pot bunkers are somewhat intimidating on the New Course, but the fairways are wide and you can use that to your advantage to figure out different ways to approach the greens. The North/South is more of a traditional layout and is much more demanding in my mind than the New Course. You can shoot a good score, but like JB said, you have to be smart about it.

Shh you are not supposed to tell people that. I have a bet with JB on how many people will hit to the wrong flag.

Shh you are not supposed to tell people that. I have a bet with JB on how many people will hit to the wrong flag.

I did that on the north/south course on the par 3 with shared green but it wasn't intentional, it was just that bad of a shot hehe.

I did that on the north/south course on the par 3 with shared green but it wasn't intentional, it was just that bad of a shot hehe.

That will be me. Aim at the right one, but get close the the wrong one.

LOL, I know all too well how that goes. There is nothing funnier, and sad, about watching someone hit a shot on the new course and stick it 5 feet from the pin and then realize it was the wrong pin and they now have a 400ft putt.

LOL, I know all too well how that goes. There is nothing funnier, and sad, about watching someone hit a shot on the new course and stick it 5 feet from the pin and then realize it was the wrong pin and they now have a 400ft putt.

Yah needless to say I did in fact 3 jack from about 100 feet.

Ha, I would be happy with a 3 jack from 100 feet. I can do that from 5 feet so doing from 100 seems like an accomplishment. :smile:

I just can't wait to play these greens in primo condition. Slow greens just ruin me.

I did that on the Old Course in Scotland while headed through "The loop". I aimed at the proper pin though, i just sliced it into a slice wind! Woops!

I always love to see people who are not used to Bermuda come and play it. The stuff can get very interesting when the rough is thick or a ball is sitting on top of it. I have never played a course that was more north than North Carolina. I bet the different types of grasses would probably freak me out.

Good practice for the putting contest ( if there is one this year)

But when I take a photo that says I hit my 3W 5 feet from the pin no one back home will know that it was the wrong flag or that I then 4 putted for a triple bogey from 400 feet away! :D

Sorry! Like others have mentioned, I'm sure there will be more than a few people that aim at the correct flag, but have their shots end up closer to the wrong flag. I was guilty of that myself when I played the New Course a couple of times, but in my defense, it was my first round in 2 months after the clubs had been in the closet for most of the winter!

Sorry! Like others have mentioned, I'm sure there will be more than a few people that aim at the correct flag, but have their shots end up closer to the wrong flag. I was guilty of that myself when I played the New Course a couple of times, but in my defense, it was my first round in 2 months after the clubs had been in the closet for most of the winter!

I'm a bit worried about going through winter and then trying to bring it for the outing, but keep reminding myself how beautiful it is to play courses like this. The fairways here will likely be more like our greens here in Nebraska, lol.

I can't wait to make JB cry. I'll make sure I can hit an iron this time rofl. God that was awful.

Team THP is gonna be my bi....well you know. Afterwards they will be begging me to take some position that means nothing so next year I will be on their team.

my bi? take some position? sounds like someone want a Team THP spanking....and not Spank818

I can't wait to make JB cry. I'll make sure I can hit an iron this time rofl. God that was awful.

Team THP is gonna be my bi....well you know. Afterwards they will be begging me to take some position that means nothing so next year I will be on their team.

The silent ninja is like a boy all grownz up.
Be good my child, you learned from the best.
I shall lay granola and lettuce leaves along the fairways, so you can follow in my footsteps around the course.

The silent ninja is like a boy all grownz up.
Be good my child, you learned from the best.
I shall lay granola and lettuce leaves along the fairways, so you can follow in my footsteps around the course.

Awesome. Don't worry afterwards I will give credit where credit is due my friend.

Looking forward to it!! I was just on their site seeing if I could afford a pre-outing trip myself. Not sure about that one. :sad:

yeah there was no way I could go down there and not play it

Quick question. With demo day allowing us to try all sorts of clubs, are we allowed to borrow a club or set to take for a demo round?

Yeah I'm probably skimming...

Quick question. With demo day allowing us to try all sorts of clubs, are we allowed to borrow a club or set to take for a demo round?

Yeah I'm probably skimming...

You can typically check items out and take to the course. Prerelease items can't go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back