Cleveland Releases New 588 Wedges

Meh...if you want the originals get the originals. I get where you are coming from but who wants to play a wedge that isnt top of the line technology wise? That is like buying a 10 year old computer in my mind. Other then the stamping this wedge is almost the same design with a better material and the PGA $ making grooves.

But he didnt say anything about it not being top of the line technology wise. Its all about the look. Take the Dodge Challenger. They bring it back packed with technology but still pays homage to the original design while being "new". Same idea here except the Challenger would have been brought back looking like one of its rivals, a Mustang or Camaro.

Meh...if you want the originals get the originals. I get where you are coming from but who wants to play a wedge that isnt top of the line technology wise? That is like buying a 10 year old computer in my mind. Other then the stamping this wedge is almost the same design with a better material and the PGA $ making grooves.

Again, I'm not discounting any technology in the NEW 588. Is what I'm saying really all that hard to understand. If you are going to relaunch something, why not make it LOOK like the original. That is all.

Again, I'm not discounting any technology in the NEW 588. Is what I'm saying really all that hard to understand. If you are going to relaunch something, why not make it LOOK like the original. That is all.

With ya 100% TC. That's why I love what PING did with the Eye2 XG's, same exact wedge as the old Eye2's with new grooves. I do think these are good looking BUT I'm completely picking up what you're putting down.

I can agree with you on that...I would have rather seen the old CG then the entire Cleveland name. Scratch still has the best stamping in my opinion.

Do we have a release date on these yet?

The shaft in these wedges really has me interested. I wonder if it's anything like the spinner as the release talks about a lower trajectory.

I think that is just the current theme in the wedge category these days. I do agree with TC about the looks of the cavity, but, I guess, that is part of life these days. I will be repainting them anyway.

What I am really curious of us how CG designed the club itself. Did they take the mold and update the grooves and milling, it did they design from the ground up with a modern idea of what the 588 would have evolved into?

Honestly, I was hoping it would not be forged.

---
- Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

I think this wedge will perform but I`m not enamoured with the graphics.Even so,no doubt it will look great at address.I`m not sure what technological advances have been made with wedges especially with the introduction and manufacturing of the new/old tour groove.In the case of Cleveland the new micro milled grooves last all of 5 minutes.

I think that is just the current theme in the wedge category these days. I do agree with TC about the looks of the cavity, but, I guess, that is part of life these days. I will be repainting them anyway.

What I am really curious of us how CG designed the club itself. Did they take the mold and update the grooves and milling, it did they design from the ground up with a modern idea of what the 588 would have evolved into?

Honestly, I was hoping it would not be forged.

---
- Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

Interesting to hear you say that. Any reason in particular you are against forged for these wedges?

Re: the aesthetics, I actually hated the :cleveland: on the sole of the old wedges...very difficult to keep clean. Much prefer it on the back.

I myself am really excited by all the moves Cleveland is making. I've been a huge fan of this company for some time and its great to see them as movers and shakers. These look great to me, but as always, performance will tell the tale.

Can't wait till i put these head to head with the cg15's, hopefully the cg15's go down on price!!

Side note whats the golden F for? Forged? Cause it looks like an anvil...

Al
Haha it'll take a lot to get a CG wedge out of my bag
a6cd0b0c-4c3c-cb29.jpg

All of my current wedges are TM but I've been interested in trying out a Cleveland wedge for a while now. This just gives me an excuse to get one.

Al

All of my current wedges are TM but I've been interested in trying out a Cleveland wedge for a while now. This just gives me an excuse to get one.

I love the TM products but this is one thing I didnt switch in my bag. I've played nothing but Cleveland wedges since I started. Amazing wedges and they do last a long time.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I think it's great they brought a new 588 out. I guess I'm just surprised in the direction they went with the looks is all. I'm sure it will be a great wedge none the less. And I still look forward to seeing them in person.

Interesting to hear you say that. Any reason in particular you are against forged for these wedges?

I have no respect for my wedges. I beat the hell out of them and I would worry that the softer metal would be more likely to get scarred and the loft/lie to drift on me. I had to have my cast wedges bent back to their proper loft at the beginning of the season because they had drifted and I imagine that wedges using softer metal would be worse. If I have a rough lie (around rocks and such), I will use my wedges and lay it up because those get replaced every year, but they are also harder and won't get hurt as easily.

I have no respect for my wedges. I beat the hell out of them and I would worry that the softer metal would be more likely to get scarred and the loft/lie to drift on me. I had to have my cast wedges bent back to their proper loft at the beginning of the season because they had drifted and I imagine that wedges using softer metal would be worse. If I have a rough lie (around rocks and such), I will use my wedges and lay it up because those get replaced every year, but they are also harder and won't get hurt as easily.

Gotcha. I tend to agree with you and makes me wonder why they decided to go forged.

is this going to be offered with a DSG option? Got too fool around with a cleveland with the DSG this weekend and really liked how it set up when opening the face a bit.

Ive been pondering getting a new wedge for a while, and I think I might just get a custom 588!!

November release...that should give me plenty of cold/snowy months to create my own and have them for spring

I cannot wait for these to hit the stores. I'm dying to see one in person.

Back