3 putts will be the death of me!

hjimzaf

I beat the Razr Challenge
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm playing some good golf right now, minus putting. My last 3 rounds I have hit 11, 10, and 11 greens, and I 3 putted 6, 7, and 4 respectively. I shot an 80 today with 4 3 putts. It's killing me!

Last round I had 4 birdie putts and 3 putted all 4 of them, didn't 3 putt any other hole

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

theres a thread with people trying to average 30 putts a round. its keeping me working on my putting and im getting a lot more consistent. might wanna join

I'm playing some good golf right now, minus putting. My last 3 rounds I have hit 11, 10, and 11 greens, and I 3 putted 6, 7, and 4 respectively. I shot an 80 today with 4 3 putts. It's killing me!

What kind of distances are we looking at? Leaving them short? Blasting them past the hole? Pushing left, pushing right?

What kind of distances are we looking at? Leaving them short? Blasting them past the hole? Pushing left, pushing right?

I'm left handed, I'm pushing all my putts within 5 feet right. I need to just take one of my range days and spend that time on the green.

I'm left handed, I'm pushing all my putts within 5 feet right. I need to just take one of my range days and spend that time on the green.

couldn't agree more i always go to the green after my range sessions now for at least 15-20 minutes its helped A LOT.

Look into a Seemore. They have some real nice putters and the RST is fantastic in helping line up your putts. Also Pat O'Brien has some great videos out there. I used to miss all over the place. Now my miss is a consistent push right. Still sounds bad but I'm making progress. I now know that when I miss it right I didn't complete my stroke.:clapp:

I have found I eliminate my 3 putts easier when I just hit to the center of the green. For some reason it just helps. I realize it has nothing to do with the putt itself but for some reason it helps more than anything I've tried. I don't know why!

I'm confused? If you're lefty and pushing, the putts should be left of the hole? That said...

I am nothing close to a good putter, so take it for what it's worth, but if I were missing everything to the push side, I would try opening my stance, perhaps even dramatically to "reset" my eye and swing path. Just a thought.

I'm confused? If you're lefty and pushing, the putts should be left of the hole? That said...

I am nothing close to a good putter, so take it for what it's worth, but if I were missing everything to the push side, I would try opening my stance, perhaps even dramatically to "reset" my eye and swing path. Just a thought.

I'm probably using the wrong term. All my putts within 5 feet, I'm missing them to the right.

I'm probably using the wrong term. All my putts within 5 feet, I'm missing them to the right.

Alright, then as a lefty you're pulling your putts. Forget my tip in that case.

For me when I get the pulls it's the clubface closing down too quickly. I focus on keeping the face square to my line as long as possible. Good luck!

I certainly feel for you man. I've had quite a few rounds this year that I missed putts inside 2 feet multiple times:banghead:

Sounds like you just need to spend more time on the practice green or maybe practicing putting on carpet a few days a week. Great putters arent born great, they are made by spending hours and hours practicing.

Has your putter been fit for you?

Alright, then as a lefty you're pulling your putts. Forget my tip in that case.

For me when I get the pulls it's the clubface closing down too quickly. I focus on keeping the face square to my line as long as possible. Good luck!
Yup! As soon as I make contact with the ball, I see the face close. The ball never has a chance to hit the cup.

3 putts suck dude. I have been getting better lately, only 1 3 putt in last 54 holes I believe...17th hole today grrrr

Sounds like you just need to spend more time on the practice green or maybe practicing putting on carpet a few days a week. Great putters arent born great, they are made by spending hours and hours practicing.
Yeah, I know. I need to quit complaining and just practice.

Has your putter been fit for you?
No

Wow thats a lot of GIRs!

I'm guessing your first putts on those GIRS is pretty long... What are you thinking for that first putt? Just get it close?

Iread book that said that is a terrible thought to have... It let's you accept being short left or right....

My lags... I want to make sure I miss on the high side of the break... And miss it long... I am always trying to make the putt. I don't putt until I see it going in the hole..

If it's missed short, i never had a chance at making it... Same with missing it below the hole.

If I miss it long, I gave it a chance at going in..l and I'm confident after seeing the break... I'll make the come backer.

I can't express how important confidence is on the greens! It's amazing whe you have that aha moment.

Also it never hurts to practice long lags. Setup some known 30-40-50 footers... Let your mind remember your backswing and through swing lengths and tempo... And learn what it feels like to roll em that far.

When you have those stock shots... Warm up on the practice green and see how they are rolling...adjust and have fun!

If it's not one thing it's another. Gotta love golf. I have found that increased GIRs can lead to increased putts so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. 80 is a great score.

Wow thats a lot of GIRs!

I'm guessing your first putts on those GIRS is pretty long... What are you thinking for that first putt? Just get it close?
Yes, my first put on a lot of my GIRs is long, and that exactly what I'm thinking! Just get it close. Then I leave it short and miss it on the low side. On my second putt, I'm thinking about the par, I freeze, and I miss it right.

If it's not one thing it's another. Gotta love golf. I have found that increased GIRs can lead to increased putts so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. 80 is a great score.
You're right, 80 is great, but I've never broken 80! I'm so close!

Yes, my first put on a lot of my GIRs is long, and that exactly what I'm thinking! Just get it close. Then I leave it short and miss it on the low side. On my second putt, I'm thinking about the par, I freeze, and I miss it right.

You're right, 80 is great, but I've never broken 80! I'm so close!

Wow with that many GIRS youllbe low 70s with some good putting!

I know you freeze, I do too, take some breaths see the ball go in the cup in you head, hear it fall, trust the line... And just putt :)

i was doing the same,playing good golf,hitting more greens but 3 putting my fair share of them.you're almost aswell missing the greens and getting up and down for the par.

it's all about feel!!!!

i've started concentrating more on the line and what a difference,pick a spot and stick to it.use anything as a marker whether it's a tree thats through the green but on your line.when you have a practise stroke look at the hole and get a feel for how hard you'll need to hit it.also stick to a routine and keep the same smooth stroke....don't chop and change.

my putting has improved and at the moment i'm averaging 10 gir and averaging 7 over with very few 3 putts now.just need to convert more birdie putts but it's coming along.

good luck!!!

Back