Thegeneral451

King Linksbear
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad
So there has been talks on the forum of playing Dream Courses, and Me and France are planning on playing the 4 Dream Courses at Bandon. Our tentative plan is the middle of February for an extended weekend. Fly in on a Thursday, Play 36 on Friday, 18 Saturday, 18 Sunday, Fly Home Monday.

With Flight from Scranton Pa to Eugene, car rental, a room at the lodge, golf, and food we are ball parking it at $1300. (bye bye tax return lol) If anyone else is looking for a getaway, you should consider the trip. Once France gets his A$$ in gear and makes the reservations we can let you know of the exact dates.

If you are interested just let us know, I will get France on here to write about the customer service and the hospitality he recieves when making the reservations.

:drinks:

Keep me in the loop! I played Bandon in Feb last year and it was great conditions. Talking with the caddies they said that february was the best month to play. They said the weather was usually pretty good and the wind is less intense. I would be down to play in Feb.

Have a great time, it should be awesome.

We will def keep u in the loop. Don't know if we will have room for The Electric Mayhem but I am sure we can find room for you!

Played all 4 courses in June. You are in for a treat. This is what you are in for!
Bandon Trails
BandonDunes11154.jpg

Pacific Dunes
BandonDunes11130.jpg

BandonDunes11122.jpg

Old Mac
BandonDunes11098.jpg

Bandon Dunes
BandonDunes11092.jpg

As you can see the weather turns on a dime there. We played 4 rounds in 2 days. Two of them were beautiful weather, one was foggy, but ok, and our round at Old Mac was windy and rainy. Absolutely awesome golf courses though. One peice of advice, up your estimates on the cost of your trip. Have a great time!

From what I hear, they're building a 5th Bandon course. The name I heard is escaping me...Bandon _______. Google is my friend, will edit when I find it.

EDIT: It's a Par 3 course, 13holes called Bandon Preserve, scheduled to open mid-2012.

BANDON — At 65 years of age, Bandon Dunes Resort developer Mike Keiser is a lean golfing machine who has no trouble playing 36 holes — or more — a day.

But many of the links golf guru’s buddies can no longer keep pace with him.

“I’ve noticed more and more people I used to count on for 36 holes saying, ‘Uh, I don’t think I’ll play another 18,’ ” Keiser said. “The Baby Boomers are getting older. They’re not playing 36.”

That’s one reason Keiser decided to break ground on what will be Bandon Dunes Resort’s fifth course, a par-3 layout to be known as the Bandon Preserve.

The non-traditional 13-hole circuit is under construction on a 20-acre wedge of land overlooking the Pacific Ocean, just south of the 18th tee on the original Bandon Dunes course.

Featuring holes ranging from 65 to 180 yards in length, Bandon Preserve sits atop a swath of sand dunes that tumble toward the Pacific just west of the first tee at Bandon Trails.

The site is bounded by the beach on the west, Cut Creek on the north and McKee Preserve on the south.

The land affords some spectacular ocean views and contains “a lot of great golf terrain,” Keiser said.

That inviting terrain is the second reason, Keiser said, that he decided to build a par-3 for those “aging Boomers to have a golf experience in the afternoon.”

The Preserve course has already been roughed out and shaped.

After irrigation and drainage systems are installed, the goal is to have it seeded by June.

Public play is expected to begin in mid-2012.

“Now that we see how good it will be — because I think it’ll really be super, and much more popular than I ever thought — we’re going to charge a lot and give profits to the south coast conservation effort,” Keiser said.

“We think we’ll charge $100.”

Rates for the resort’s four regulation courses top out at $275 ($225 for golfers staying overnight).

The name for the par-3 course stems from Keiser’s interest in conservation.

“It’s the Bandon Preserve, but if you say it backwards it’s ‘Preserve Bandon,’ or preserve the south coast,” Keiser said. “(The name) gets pretty close to the mission, which is give ‘Boomers’ a place to play golf in the afternoon and to fund conservation in this thousand-square-mile piece of land from here to the California border.”

Profits generated by Bandon Preserve will be earmarked for conservation projects, Keiser said. He envisions supporting efforts ranging from fish habitat restoration on the Elk, Sixes and Coquille rivers to creating more habitat for silvery phacelia, a native plant threatened by a loss of habitat to non-native beach grass.

The “imperiled” phacelia plant is found only in Coos and Curry counties in Oregon, according to the Center for Plant Conservation, and is “at high risk of extinction due to very restricted range, very few populations.”

The Preserve course was designed by Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore, the team that laid out Bandon Trails.

“If it’s as popular as Bill (Coore) thinks it might be — and he’s usually very modest with his projections,” Keiser said, 60 percent of the revenue generated would go to conservation.

“If he’s right, it’ll be seven figures” (more than $1 million) a year, Keiser said.

Meanwhile, the odd number of holes to be included in the new course (virtually all U.S. courses are either 9 holes or 18) is of no concern to the principals involved in its construction.

“When you come to a place like this, you come to play as much golf as you can fit in, so nobody’s worried about 18 regulation holes,” said David Zinkand, Coore & Crenshaw’s on-site project manager.

“With the time constraints people feel like they have now on golf, I think it’s excellent that people are going to see a non-traditional golf course,” he said. “It’ll catch on ... I think other places are going to pick up on the idea that you take advantage of the land you’ve got — put the golf out there that you can and go play instead of trying to force in a certain number of holes.”

The parcel Coore & Crenshaw had to work with on the Preserve is more scenic than the land their Bandon Trails course sits upon, and was originally considered for that project.

But Preserve acreage was deemed “too choppy” to accommodate par-4 and par-5 holes, Zinkand said, so Bandon Trails was routed farther inland.

However, the Preserve terrain is actually perfect for shorter par-3 holes.

“There’s nothing that’s really going to beat you up,” Zinkand said while leading a tour of the site for Northwest golf writers.

“There’s some pretty tough shots out there, though, that will get your attention, especially when wind comes up,” added Ken Nice, Bandon Dunes’ director of agronomy.

“What Mike Keiser wanted,” Coore told one golf writer, “was a collection of holes that would stand up to the par-3s on the big courses, holes like No. 11 and Pacific Dunes and No. 2 at Bandon Trails.”

Bandon Preserve’s greens will come in a variety of sizes — including one 26,000 square-foot monster shared by two holes — Nos. 4 and 7.

The No. 1 green was originally the upper warm-up putting green at Bandon Trails (a new practice green is being built nearby). It will be fired at from tees less than 100 yards away, located just north of the bag drop at Trails, The last hole is near Cut Creek and The Inn, the newest lodging at the resort.

Between them are an assortment of target-style holes in the pocket dunes, with forced carries over native plant conservancy areas.

Hole No. 2, “will wake you up after that fairly simple first hole,” Zinkand said. “It’s really only about 145 yards or so, but it’s an intimidating little guy.”

From Hole No. 3 on, “there’s a progression that starts to give you more and more views of the ocean and bring you right out into the dunes.”

Most holes will offer two or three teeing areas, some of which won’t have grass to withstand the wear of heavy foot traffic. Those small tees will be surfaced with Field Turf, an artificial grass.

“The Preserve course is going to be great for replay,” said Hank Hickox, Bandon Dunes Resort’s general manager. “It’s going to be great for an activity for people — skins games, things like that. It’s on a piece of real estate that’s unparalleled.”

And with the profits earmarked for conservation, he said, “nobody’s going to argue with how the money’s going to be used.”

Hickox is confident Bandon Preserve will be more than just a sideline amenity at Bandon Dunes Resort.

“I think of it as another piece of the destination,” he said, adding that he won’t be surprised if some golfers come “to play 13 (holes) and go around it twice.”

Meanwhile, Coore says the new course will have a lot of appeal beyond the tired-old-afternoon-golfers crowd. He told one golf publication he’s overheard good young golfers saying they would “play the par-3 course first on every visit” just to help them get used to greens and tight greenside lies that all the Bandon Dunes Resort courses have in common.

Played all 4 courses in June. You are in for a treat. This is what you are in for!
Bandon Trails
BandonDunes11154.jpg

Pacific Dunes
BandonDunes11130.jpg

BandonDunes11122.jpg

Old Mac
BandonDunes11098.jpg

Bandon Dunes
BandonDunes11092.jpg

As you can see the weather turns on a dime there. We played 4 rounds in 2 days. Two of them were beautiful weather, one was foggy, but ok, and our round at Old Mac was windy and rainy. Absolutely awesome golf courses though. One peice of advice, up your estimates on the cost of your trip. Have a great time!

Nice! Yeah we are looking forward to the trip! But as for costs we are pretty spot on from what we have seen on their site. February is a cheaper month to golf in, the flight is pretty cheap, and the lodge isn't too expensive. Unless I drink my face off, I should spend $1300-$1500 (i like to eat so I will prolly spend more than France lol)

Nice! Yeah we are looking forward to the trip! But as for costs we are pretty spot on from what we have seen on their site. February is a cheaper month to golf in, the flight is pretty cheap, and the lodge isn't too expensive. Unless I drink my face off, I should spend $1300-$1500 (i like to eat so I will prolly spend more than France lol)

Scotch after every round can get expensive though :p

Scotch after every round can get expensive though :p

18yr old whiskey should warm the bones after the rounds. especially when I am playing in a kilt.

Great Photos.. Thanks guys for sharing

France just booked the rooms and Tee times! I will post them when we get the email tonight! France is like a kid at xmas time.

France just booked the rooms and Tee times! I will post them when we get the email tonight! France is like a kid at xmas time.

I'm definitely jealous!! Have fun!

So the golf trip has been Confirmed. We are staying at the Inn. A forest King room I believe. and the tee times have been book for a 2some. here is the list:

Sunday Feb 26th 2012: Old Macdonald 9:50am
Monday Feb 27th 2012: Old Macdonald 7:30am, Bandon Dunes 12:30pm
Tuesday Feb 28th 2012: Pacific Dunes 8:10am, Bandon Trails 1:10pm

If anyone is interested let us know, Like i said they are booked for a 2some but If you can make it for a round I am sure they can make it a 3some or a 4some cus its so far in advance. If you are planning on spending the night you will have to book your own room, I am already sharing a bed with France and that doesn't make me a happy camper lol.

If you love golf, you will love Bandon Dunes resort. Be prepared to play off very hard, very tight lies especially on Old Mac. I hope you post your rankings of the courses afterwards.

Fiddler's Green is a golf shop located just 5-10 minutes from the Eugene airport. It will be worth your time if you have any golf stuff you plan to purchase because they have nearly anything golf you can think of at good prices and NO SALES TAX. I waited for many months to buy a three wood and a putter because I knew I would be in Oregon in August. I always go by the store when I'm out there to stock up on balls if nothing else, Pro V1s are $38 or $39 per dozen with no tax. It probably won't hurt to go by and get rain gear:D

If you love golf, you will love Bandon Dunes resort. Be prepared to play off very hard, very tight lies especially on Old Mac. I hope you post your rankings of the courses afterwards.

Fiddler's Green is a golf shop located just 5-10 minutes from the Eugene airport. It will be worth your time if you have any golf stuff you plan to purchase because they have nearly anything golf you can think of at good prices and NO SALES TAX. I waited for many months to buy a three wood and a putter because I knew I would be in Oregon in August. I always go by the store when I'm out there to stock up on balls if nothing else, Pro V1s are $38 or $39 per dozen with no tax. It probably won't hurt to go by and get rain gear:D

Fiddlers is a fantastic store. Huge and has really great prices. It has become the official stock up stop for many a Bandon traveler. General, I will let you know if I am a go. I would think that I am about 75% right now. Feb is such a good time to go, $90 with $45 replays can't beat that!

Very jealous. Have heard nothing but amazing things. I am looking forward next summer to going back to Cape Breton, where I can replay Highland Links, and the new course to be completed in the spring by the same people that run Bandon Dunes called the Cabot Links. All 18 on the ocean; supposed to be amazing.

This will be my and France's first pilgrimage to a top golf facility. We are both like little kids in a candy store. Almost a surreal feeling "Wow, we are really doing this" I am sure this trip will be the first of many. I am hooked on golf again and I'm not going to kick the habit. If all goes well I'll die on a course in my golden years :)

This will be my and France's first pilgrimage to a top golf facility. We are both like little kids in a candy store. Almost a surreal feeling "Wow, we are really doing this" I am sure this trip will be the first of many. I am hooked on golf again and I'm not going to kick the habit. If all goes well I'll die on a course in my golden years :)

Congrats man. I am very happy for you and can feel your excitement. It is well warranted. All of the courses are beautiful, but you just can't beat Pacific Dunes. My favorite track that I have ever played. The layout and views are unreal. Bandon Dunes is a close second, and Bandon Trails is a completely different style, but I loved it as well. Old Mac is crazy! It is like circus golf. You can have a 200 foot putt there! The greens have huge undulation at Old Mac and it is like the buried elephants under some of these greens. Very fun, but not my fave. I may be down for a Bandon trip in February as well, I will check my calender as it gets a little closer.

Congrats man. I am very happy for you and can feel your excitement. It is well warranted. All of the courses are beautiful, but you just can't beat Pacific Dunes. My favorite track that I have ever played. The layout and views are unreal. Bandon Dunes is a close second, and Bandon Trails is a completely different style, but I loved it as well. Old Mac is crazy! It is like circus golf. You can have a 200 foot putt there! The greens have huge undulation at Old Mac and it is like the buried elephants under some of these greens. Very fun, but not my fave. I may be down for a Bandon trip in February as well, I will check my calender as it gets a little closer.

That would be AMAZING if you could make it down!

That would be AMAZING if you could make it down!

Totally! I would love to make it down there and tee it up with you again Teeth!

my wife might kill me

but what would the cost be ROUGHLY not including airfare?

my wife might kill me

but what would the cost be ROUGHLY not including airfare?

I don't know about hotel, but in Feb if you are staying at the resort, then it is $90/round with a $45 replay. If you are not a resort guest, then it is $120 and I don't know how much the replay is.

I don't know about hotel, but in Feb if you are staying at the resort, then it is $90/round with a $45 replay. If you are not a resort guest, then it is $120 and I don't know how much the replay is.

Heck that's a great deal!

Wonder what flights would be? I'd love to get out in our winter months here!

Heck that's a great deal!

Wonder what flights would be? I'd love to get out in our winter months here!

We are looking at about 300 a flight into Eugene then renting a car from there. You are more than welcome to jump in the rental with us.

Yeah our flight is from scranton, pa to eugene for $300 roundtrip. and I think lodging is $150/night at The Inn for a Forest King room. All and All I think we ball parked it at $1300 for the whole trip with our food.

Back