Need advice on irons

waz84

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently have Taylormade CB TP irons which are only 2 months old and being hitting them well, seem to struggle with the 4 and 5 iron but replaced both with a 4 hybrid which I hit solid every time. My handicap seems to be dropping and should be down the 18-19 once my last score goes in the clubhouse. My iron striking is great, I seem to have a high handicap due to soon poor putting and erratic with my driver. Question is, I have been offered a new set of Mizuno Mp68 in straight swap for my used irons. Not sure if to make the change to blades. My iron striking is solid, but not sure if changing will make me struggle.

Why change if you are hitting them well and they are basically new?

Currently have Taylormade CB TP irons which are only 2 months old and being hitting them well, seem to struggle with the 4 and 5 iron but replaced both with a 4 hybrid which I hit solid every time. My handicap seems to be dropping and should be down the 18-19 once my last score goes in the clubhouse. My iron striking is great, I seem to have a high handicap due to soon poor putting and erratic with my driver. Question is, I have been offered a new set of Mizuno Mp68 in straight swap for my used irons. Not sure if to make the change to blades. My iron striking is solid, but not sure if changing will make me struggle.

As a 24, I think it would be hard to justify switching to blades. Any small problem you have with your irons now will be magnified. If you really want to switch to blades or have always wanted to play them....go for it. But my recommendation would be to stay with the irons you have.

Question....were you fitted for the Taylormade CB's?

I don't want to sound rude, but to even consider that trade is just crazy. Stick with the TP CB

I'd stick with what you have and concentrate on your putting and driving

MattyCaulk Approved!

Blades won't help you hit the ball closer to the hole, which will magnify your putting issues. Especially when you drive it poorly and leave yourself longer than necessary clubs into greens.

I say go take a lesson or two.

+1 Keep what is working for you

I'm going to agree with everyone else: keep your TMs. First off, why would you switch from clubs you don't hit well? You're going to have to readjust, and the new irons might not even work for you. Secondly, as a 20+ handicapper, there is absolutely no reason you should even consider straying away from cavity-backs. Blades are made for low handicaps who need little forgiveness and extra workability. Even as a 12 handicap, I use cavity-backs, mostly because I prefer the ease of use of the cavity-backs and don't need to work the ball. But my next set will either be Mizuno MPs or split-backs, since my iron striking has really improved

Thanks for the comments guys. My iron game is my strongpoint, I don't thin, slice or hit them fat, currently getting lessons to work on releasing my driver properly which should being me down from 19 to mid HC with time hopefully. Just really tempted as the swap is free :S I tried a 7 iron mp68 on the range and seemed to hit it fine but not had a chance to try a full set on the course.

Went to the range again today and the pro shop let me borrow their demo 6 iron. Hit a full basket of them against my 6 iron Taylormade CB to compare. I was striking the ball well and noticed I didn't get as much distance as the CBs, but the distance was minor difference in may 5 yards or so. I loved the ball flight and will perhaps suit my home course which seems rather windy, trajectory on these was a lot more penetrating. The feel and sound of a great contract was great and I felt like hitting another basket with them. At address the club isn't as wide so less margin for error. Funny thing is after hitting 40 balls with MPs when i went back to TM CBs I could't hit them sweet! I love the feel of the MBs.

I'm getting the MP-69s(newer verison of the 68s) and just love the feel on the Mizuno irons. They are actually quite forgiving which is shocking for a blade. I carried the Demo 68 for about a month in my bag to see how i liked it and it was great. I caught a few shots fat, along with thin, and lost about the same distance as any other iron I have played. Although I feel I am a very good ball striker, I feel the cons of blades aren't as bad as people think. They seem over exaggerated, but I haven't played a set yet(ordered the 69s will be here next week)

On the other side of this discussion though is the fact that I have been playing MP32s for several years now and I think they have actually improved my ball striking overall by forcing me to be more precise. I had never broken 80 until I started playing them and now I break 80 about 9 times out of 10 and get below 75 on occasion. My next long term goal is to break 70. I cut my handicap from 15 down to about 5 after I started playing them. Like you I hit irons well but I wasted shots on the green with lousy putting and chipping. Handicap aside you might actually do better with a harder to hit club. I would keep both sets though and you can always switch back. I still keep a set of old Ping i2s that I hit when I don't think I have had enough practice time.

Here is a video on the MP-69 just for reference. What I like is how he stresses the points about blades (these clubs) being set for those who already know what they are doing.
http://youtu.be/8trRIN1nb20

Seems like you have your mind set on the Mizunos. Make the swap to keep yourself happy. I am fairly confident that they will not make you a better golfer. They just make you happier.

I'm confused. Are you saying that soon you will be struggling with your putter? And I am going to be completely honest with you and say those 68's are way too much for you. Honestly man get the most forgiving club that you can stand to look at and play it. Di11's,2.0's,Razr X's,Adams......... You will be back here is a few weeks asking the same question if you go with the 68's. I'm a 11 hdcp and played Adams MB's and I couldn't handle them on my off days. Those off days were awful and not fun. I play golf to have fun. Get ye some shovels!!:wilsonstaff::taylormade::ping::cleveland::callaway::adams:

When I first started playing I was using some Callaway X-14's and was hitting them quite OK. I had a chance to try a buddy's Mizuno MP-30's and fell in love with them, it really felt like butter when I hit the sweet spot. Then I came across a great deal so I traded my X-14's in for the MP-30's. While they feel sweet on good hits, they're definitely less forgiving and I am sure I lose a couple strokes per round on bad iron shots. Now I am actually looking to replace my irons with something that is more forgiving and easier to hit, rather than picking something based on feel and looks alone. The fact that a lot of low handicappers and even some pros play game improvement irons really speaks something about blades.

Back