Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

I can't wait for the testing to start on this one. Look forward to the tester's comments.

Can't wait to get these sticks and start sharing with everyone.

I'm really excited as well.. In fact, I've spent quite a bit of time on the NikeGolf website checking out the product information for these irons, and if you haven't yet, I urge you to check it out for yourself.. It offers a detailed description of shot characteristics between the different irons in the set, and actually has different images to represent the explanations.. It's all found under the "Product Compare" tab in the Combo Irons section.

I'm really excited as well.. In fact, I've spent quite a bit of time on the NikeGolf website checking out the product information for these irons, and if you haven't yet, I urge you to check it out for yourself.. It offers a detailed description of shot characteristics between the different irons in the set, and actually has different images to represent the explanations.. It's all found under the "Product Compare" tab in the Combo Irons section.

Too funny - I was just there 15 minutes ago comparing the 3 types of irons that make up this set and reading the characteristics of each. I also can't wait to get my hands on these and really dive into it; it will be an exciting, yet challenging experience. Gotta admit - I immediately felt pressure when this was announced. There are so many people looking forward to reading about these and how they work for each of us good and bad. Just want to make sure that I live up to my end of the bargain and deliver the feedback!! SO EXCITED!!

One other thing I wanted to mention to the other testers. If you have not already, do a comparison between the lofts in your existing set compared to the VR Pro Combo's. I am seeing a sizeable difference that will need to be factored in when playing. Few examples below:

PW
Current - 44
Nike - 47

8i
Current - 36
Nike - 39

5i
Current - 25.5
Nike - 27

Will definitely be interesting to see yardage distances, etc as part of this.

Canadan - you should not have much adjustment at all to worry about; very similar lofts in your case.

This was a case of Cobra decreasing all the lofts to be the longest iron, etc. Glad that Nike did not decrease lofts across the board in an attempt to claim to be extra long, etc.

Canadan - you should not have much adjustment at all to worry about; very similar lofts in your case.

This was a case of Cobra decreasing all the lofts to be the longest iron, etc. Glad that Nike did not decrease lofts across the board in an attempt to claim to be extra long, etc.

Yeah shouldn't be too bad... I was hoping they'd be as strong as my Mizuno's, but that'll only take a short while to get sorted out. The bounce variable has me really excited.. I've never followed it that much, but I have a feeling it'll play a pretty big factor here. Around 3 degrees for many of the irons MORE than what I am used to!

+1 for comparison of lofts. 47 for PW is good (I'd like 48, but can't have it all!) I'm not a fan of jacked up lofts.

I struggled for the first month or so when I got my pro combos because of the loft difference, especially in the blades. The 8,9 and PW were all a degree weaker than my old irons (CG7 tours) and I was noticing that I wasnt carrying the ball as far, as much as 5-7 yards. Paid for it in a few bunkers and water hazards (doh!). Finally looked at the lofts and realized, and have since adjusted. I think you guys are in for a treat with the scoring irons in this set. I love the versatility of being able to flight the ball down into the wind, and then jack it up real high and have it land soft.

I'm surprised it's even a question Paulo!! The s300 SLs had a tighter dispersion, higher launch angle, and you only lost a yard of carry on most of the others?

TELL me that one felt good!

The specs are in. I went with the SLs, but I could have gone with any of the shafts there and been ok with the numbers. The SLs just felt better to me, for my swing. They were the only ones I was hitting right at the flag confidently. Now that's the first step over, I'm very excited!

I'll do a loft comparison on the fg59s tomorrow too.

So has everyone sent in there specs?

The specs are in. I went with the SLs, but I could have gone with any of the shafts there and been ok with the numbers. The SLs just felt better to me, for my swing. They were the only ones I was hitting right at the flag confidently. Now that's the first step over, I'm very excited!

I'll do a loft comparison on the fg59s tomorrow too.

Thata boy!!! I really think they looked great for you on the readouts. I hope they translate well into the Nike's!!

And yeah Chunky, mine are in!

One other thing I wanted to mention to the other testers. If you have not already, do a comparison between the lofts in your existing set compared to the VR Pro Combo's. I am seeing a sizeable difference that will need to be factored in when playing. Few examples below:

PW
Current - 44
Nike - 47

8i
Current - 36
Nike - 39

5i
Current - 25.5
Nike - 27

Will definitely be interesting to see yardage distances, etc as part of this.

LOL that is nothing!

PW
Current-42.5
Nike-47

8I
Current-35.5
Nike-39

5I
Current-25
Nike-27

There will be a slight adjustment period

Don't forget shafts have something to do with getting the ball up too, it's not just loft of the club.

LOL that is nothing!

PW
Current-42.5
Nike-47

8I
Current-35.5
Nike-39

5I
Current-25
Nike-27

There will be a slight adjustment period

there goes your long hitting days CL haha

You're going to love these irons though

Looks like all my lofts will be exactly the same through the set. This will make it very interesting when comparing distances between the clubs!

Good to hear Paulo - and CL that is a pretty big swing in lofts!! Sounds like probably everyone has made/sent in their shaft selections with their specs!! :bananadance:

Slackers! Who has not sent their specs in...Oh wait that would be me. Finalizing today fellas. Sorry for the delay. Shaft selection has been difficult

Slackers! Who has not sent their specs in...Oh wait that would be me. Finalizing today fellas. Sorry for the delay. Shaft selection has been difficult

Aw come on! :wink:

Joking, I totally sympathise, I had a sleepless night trying to decide too! My head was saying go with the KBS, but my heart won over with the SLs.

Sorry....I skimmed the last couple pages really quick. Were the KBS c-tapers an option for anyone? I know nike offers them now and I am really curious to hear some thoughts about them. They have really had my attention since I heard about them and I haven't seen much on here yet about them, but I know they are still brand new.

Sorry....I skimmed the last couple pages really quick. Were the KBS c-tapers an option for anyone? I know nike offers them now and I am really curious to hear some thoughts about them. They have really had my attention since I heard about them and I haven't seen much on here yet about them, but I know they are still brand new.

They were not available as far as I know. They were listed under the special order part of the shaft section. The KBS Tour and KBS Tour Black Nickel were our KBS options.

I am fairly certain there was a press release posted on THP about the C-Tapers being an option, but they are not yet listed on the site. I can't seem to find the thread though, so don't quote me on it!!

I thought about pursuing them for the lower ball flight, but stuck with what I know works well for me.

Last edited:
Alright numbers are in and I will be sending specs in tonight. Was not what I expected though. I'm going to throw some numbers up and hopefully get some guidance from the gallery

1-- Club Speed 80.73 Ball Velocity 108.8 Launch Angle 19.4 Ball Spin 5822 Carry 162.1 Total 171.1 PTR 134 Deviation 7.5
2-- Club Speed 83.20 Ball Velocity 108.1 Launch Angle 18.9 Ball Spin 5757 Carry 161.5 Total 170.4 PTR 130 Deviation 10.5
3-- Club Speed 81.75 Ball Velocity 105.8 Launch Angle 18.9 Ball Spin 5738 Carry 156.9 Total 165.5 PTR 129.6 Deviation 12.4
4-- Club Speed 79.88 Ball Velocity 106 Launch Angle 17.9 Ball Spin 5879 Carry 156.3 Total 164.9 PTR 132.7 Deviation 10.9

Back