roswellj

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Since taking golf back up I have realized that my swing is a cause for concern. I have mostly rectified my swing issues. I have noticed something strange lately though.
I have realized through experimenting that I am getting more distance and greater accuracy with my 4-6 iron through only taking a 3/4 swing. When I take a full swing, even when I make good connection I don't get as much distance as when I use a smaller speed. I also hit the ball far more consistently with a 3/4 swing. I think I have traced this back to using my wrists alot in my swing to generate club head speed. I believe that this is because I come from a tennis and cricket background where most ball hitting is very wristy.
Is this something that I should rectify or something I can develop further to help my game? One side of me wants to develop the perfect swing to better my game but another likes to keep hold of the quirks that work for me. (I have a really strange batting technique in cricket but I averaged 85 for the last 3 years which is better than most so I stuck to that and developed it.)

This is actually very common. Many times a student on mine will describe this same sensation from a 3/4 swing.

There are a couple of reasons this happens:
1) Most people's 3/4 swing is actually a full swing with the body turning enough and the arms in a good position. When you go to a "full swing" you end up adding in body movements that aren't necessary and aren't adding anything to the swing. It sounds like for you the extra movements may be in the wrists.
2) The contact from the 3/4 swing is closer to the club's sweet spot. So you get better distance with less side spin, also it is easier to repeat.

So, in my opinion your 3/4 swing is actually a 100% swing and is the swing you should be trying to duplicate. In golf the best swing to have is one that can be returned to the ball efficiently and consistently.

Feel free to post a video of both swings and I would be happy to critique them further, good luck.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

This is actually very common. Many times a student on mine will describe this same sensation from a 3/4 swing.

There are a couple of reasons this happens:
1) Most people's 3/4 swing is actually a full swing with the body turning enough and the arms in a good position. When you go to a "full swing" you end up adding in body movements that aren't necessary and aren't adding anything to the swing. It sounds like for you the extra movements may be in the wrists.
2) The contact from the 3/4 swing is closer to the club's sweet spot. So you get better distance with less side spin, also it is easier to repeat.

So, in my opinion your 3/4 swing is actually a 100% swing and is the swing you should be trying to duplicate. In golf the best swing to have is one that can be returned to the ball efficiently and consistently.

Feel free to post a video of both swings and I would be happy to critique them further, good luck.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

I really like this answer and will try to be more cognizant of the swing I am putting on my hybrids the next time I have a range session. Thanks.

Thanks for that answer Josh. I went out the other day with a friend and asked him to watch each swing and he said my 3/4 swing looked like a full swing and when I tried the full swing my body and hands were all over the place even though it didn't feel that way so I think you are right on the money with that.

Back