Confused, please help

Canuck227

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday i went to my local golf shop to get a new driver. I recently won a R11 at a golf tournament and needed to exchange it for a left handed one. I am currently hitting a 2009 Burner. I asked to hit both the R11 and Superfast 2.0. Like most pro shops they had a limited amount of left handed. I grabbed a R11 9*, stiff shaft. Hit it OK but was told that if i didnt hit it right on the screws it was unforgiving. I then tried the only left handed 2.0 a 10.5* regular stiff shaft and was nailing it. Here's my question. I have a swing speed of 102-104 miles an hour. When i loose a shot it's a slice. How can I hit a regular shaft with its whip and be pounding it down the middle? Should the face not be even wider open whit a regular shaft. I dont want to discount the results on the simulator, but without a stiff shafted 2.0 to test i'm only left with the question. I am going to go to another shop today to see if they carry the 2.0 with a stiff shaft to see what will happen.

There is far more to shaft flex choice than just swing speed. There is also no industry standard, so one company's stiff can be another company's regular.
Is a fitting possible?

Based on your swing speed, I would think a stiff would be more suited for you. You should look to get fit though.

He's right about the R11, great club, but you lose distance not hitting it squarely. The SF is little better in the forgiveness department but no adjustability.

I'm going to be going top a demo day for taylormade on Saturday. I just want it explained to me why a whippier shaft isn't promoting more of a slice based on my swing speed when physics says it should. I know, at the end of the day the results are all that really count and that there are many more factors that contribute to the ball direction off the club, but i just want to make sure that i still shouldn't be using a stiff shaft with the 2.0 head and the only way to know that is to try one out. And with my OCD i'd want to be adjusting the R11 on every shot.

There is far more to shaft flex choice than just swing speed. There is also no industry standard, so one company's stiff can be another company's regular.
Is a fitting possible?

There certainly is more to it than just swing speed, and I would try and have a proper fitting somewhere before making a change.

When i loose a shot it's a slice. How can I hit a regular shaft with its whip and be pounding it down the middle? Should the face not be even wider open whit a regular shaft. .

Of course, as others have said a fitting is best, but the answer to your question is no. The miss associated with too light a flex is a hook and the miss with too stiff a shaft is a fade/slice. This assumes your swing is otherwise perfect of course :)

Also, there are other things to consider than just shaft flex, such as weight of the shaft and torque. A regular flex shaft that weighs 10 grams more than a stiff flex may perform similar. The trick is to find the shaft that matches your tempo and swing speed. Try to get fitted to find the right combination for you.

Of course, as others have said a fitting is best, but the answer to your question is no. The miss associated with too light a flex is a hook and the miss with too stiff a shaft is a fade/slice. This assumes your swing is otherwise perfect of course :)

This is the best explination i have heard. Thank you for all your recomendations and explanations

Generally a technically correct "smooth tempo" swing can play any flex shaft equally well...So you could have a high swing speed and play soft shafts and play them well...You idea that a softer shafts produce slices may not be correct.. in real life most strong players that put a lot of "leverage on a shaft" end up with low snap hooks from a too soft a shaft...Many better players that slice occasionally just have a hold on or release problem once and a while and it`s not a shaft problem at all...

Because shafts are still widely inconsistent [ getting better] and the people fitting them wildly inconsistent and the equipment they use to test your swing inconsistent...and the fact that 6 of the exact same driver heads will be inconsistent to each other...there is nothing that replaces you hitting the exact driver you intend to purchase...

Proof of what I can say is go to 3 different fitters and you will likely get 3 different recommendations on what to buy....Jim

Back