PGA & USGA Tee It Forward Initiative

I support this, a very sensible idea.....However, like others have already stated, too many egos involved for this to be effective. Here is a perfect example to illustrate: two years ago, my club renovated several tee boxes. As a result, several of the blue tees were moved back anywhere from 15 - 40 yards. The course ratings/slope factors were adjusted accordingly. It was suggested that many members should consider moving up to the white tees, which now played slightly shorter than the "old blue" tees. Needless to say, this went over like a lead balloon. Many long time members were enraged that they would have to play from the white tees, as they "have always played the blues". The final solution....the "old blue" tees were restored to their previous length and new set of tees (silver) was installed. Peace and harmony have been restored.

Makes me so happy to play at a course where the owner/PGA Pro just wants everyone to have fun, so he has bought into this concept to the point where we are adding a new set of tees. The course will four sets for the first time ever, but the back tees will pretty much stay where they are now. I'm sure there will be a few that grumble, but at our course we have a board made up of the owners and a few longtime members, myself included, and things are voted on very diplomatically, and changes are never made without a lot of thought and discussion.

That's pretty cool, HG. I really wish I could find more courses with tees in the 5700-6000 range and that it was more socially acceptable to play from them. I really play better from a range that allows me to hit approach shots with the same irons that longer hitters do. We have a couple in the area, but the only complaint I have is that the course ratings are often so low that it really bumps up my HCP. To me, it's an appropriate length and I don't see why the ratings should be so low, but I doubt it will change.

That's pretty cool, HG. I really wish I could find more courses with tees in the 5700-6000 range and that it was more socially acceptable to play from them. I really play better from a range that allows me to hit approach shots with the same irons that longer hitters do. We have a couple in the area, but the only complaint I have is that the course ratings are often so low that it really bumps up my HCP. To me, it's an appropriate length and I don't see why the ratings should be so low, but I doubt it will change.

I agree on the handicap bump. My index goes from 9.9 to almost 14 from the next forward set of tees. But it is good that you should have a course index from each set of tees. I know our print out that we post each update has everyones index from our current three sets of tees even if you never post from them as course handicap.

I really question the USGA's judgement with the way they rate many of the courses here, but that's for another discussion. Either way, I'd like to see more of this. I just think it's more fun to not have to hit a hybrid or 6 iron all day. Not to say there shouldn't be holes that force you to hit longer clubs, but it gets old when you are doing it all day.

I really question the USGA's judgement with the way they rate many of the courses here, but that's for another discussion. Either way, I'd like to see more of this. I just think it's more fun to not have to hit a hybrid or 6 iron all day. Not to say there shouldn't be holes that force you to hit longer clubs, but it gets old when you are doing it all day.

Dude I'm with you on this. Courses that seem like they're set up for Dustin Johnson get old to me.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

Some of them are because of doglegs, etc, but one course I play has a seven hole stretch with three 400+ par 4's and a 560 yard par 5 and two par 3's 200 yards or more. That's from the freaking white tees.

I played from the Golds yesterday on course with Tips, Gold, Blue, White, Red. The golds measured in at 6258 and the tips at 6800ish?. This was a great distance for me and my buddies. We all had fun, all the par 5s seemed to be uphill so while reachable, the risk/reward made it that much better.

So I think think this course is relatively new and in understanding of the shorter = more fun, faster (we played in just under four hours) and good for the game.

I really don't like playing much more than 6200 yards honestly. One course I play has whites that play to 6300 and gold that plays to 5700. I find myself going with the 5700 gold tees more often than the 6300 whites because it's just more fun than hitting long irons irons/hybrids into the green or laying up all day.

One of the executive courses my dad enjoys that I play with him at plays to 4900 I think. A lot of short par 3's with lots of water and bunkers around them to force you to be very accurate.

I really don't like playing much more than 6200 yards honestly. One course I play has whites that play to 6300 and gold that plays to 5700. I find myself going with the 5700 gold tees more often than the 6300 whites because it's just more fun than hitting long irons irons/hybrids into the green or laying up all day.

One of the executive courses my dad enjoys that I play with him at plays to 4900 I think. A lot of short par 3's with lots of water and bunkers around them to force you to be very accurate.

I agree. Anything in the 6000 yard range is good for me at age 50. Just not possible to keep with you young guys any longer.

Based on the fact that my average drive is 230yds, I should move to the ladies tee (5900yds as opposed to the 6300yds mens tee I currently play)?

I don't have a ego problem with that. My problem is that I don't see a men's course and slope rating for those tees, so I can't use them for my handicap index.

Based on the fact that my average drive is 230yds, I should move to the ladies tee (5900yds as opposed to the 6300yds mens tee I currently play)?

I don't have a ego problem with that. My problem is that I don't see a men's course and slope rating for those tees, so I can't use them for my handicap index.

Exactly.

Makes me so happy to play at a course where the owner/PGA Pro just wants everyone to have fun, so he has bought into this concept to the point where we are adding a new set of tees. The course will four sets for the first time ever, but the back tees will pretty much stay where they are now. I'm sure there will be a few that grumble, but at our course we have a board made up of the owners and a few longtime members, myself included, and things are voted on very diplomatically, and changes are never made without a lot of thought and discussion.
Great to hear Hoosier. Props to your owner/pro. :)

Some of them are because of doglegs, etc, but one course I play has a seven hole stretch with three 400+ par 4's and a 560 yard par 5 and two par 3's 200 yards or more. That's from the freaking white tees.
That's just dumb IMHO Hawk.

That's just dumb IMHO Hawk.

It's actually one of my favorite courses, ironically hehe. It's a tough stretch of holes. The par 3's are on other parts of the course, btw.

Tee It Forward - Does it help or hurt your game?

Tee It Forward - Does it help or hurt your game?

I just wanted to get some opinions on this. I normally play tees between 6000-6200 yards. I can usually shoot mid 80s from those but I decided to try moving forward a few times lately to tees that are between 5600-5900 yards. My score was a couple of strokes better and it was a lot of fun. Course management comes into play since I can now reach all the trouble. I like having a shot at birdies instead of trying to save par most of the day. The problem with this is, how does moving forward affect your game? Does it hurt it to play shorter distances? Or does it help build accuracy (since more trouble is in play)? Right now I'm alternating between tees which is fun, but I was just wondering what others thought about this. Help or hurt? Or neither?

I decided to play the tees Tee it Forward recommended based on my driver distance. I'm scoring much better and having a lot more fun too.

I think that it can both help and hurt. It helps because it allows you to see the course differently than you would normally. It hurts because you can't use it in leagues/tournaments/etc.

I have moved forward the last couple rounds. I have hit a lot more GIR's with more birdie chances. It is fun. However, the handicap went up slightly because of the course rating and slope.

I just wanted to get some opinions on this. I normally play tees between 6000-6200 yards. I can usually shoot mid 80s from those but I decided to try moving forward a few times lately to tees that are between 5600-5900 yards. My score was a couple of strokes better and it was a lot of fun. Course management comes into play since I can now reach all the trouble. I like having a shot at birdies instead of trying to save par most of the day. The problem with this is, how does moving forward affect your game? Does it hurt it to play shorter distances? Or does it help build accuracy (since more trouble is in play)? Right now I'm alternating between tees which is fun, but I was just wondering what others thought about this. Help or hurt? Or neither?

If you're playing the length that the USGA suggests you should be playing, I can't see how it would make you a weaker golfer.. Obviously your long irons stay in the bag a bit more, but you still have to get it to the hole and in.

I decided to play the tees Tee it Forward recommended based on my driver distance. I'm scoring much better and having a lot more fun too.

and that is the bottom line!! at least for me

I have heard of this program but not sure how to measure which tees to use. Any guidance? Is it based on average driver distance?

Moving back has helped me with my longer distances and gives me more experience with every club in my bag. I play two sets of tees about 700 yards apart fairly regularly. Just depends on who I am playing with and how I feel that day. It seems the forward tees force me to use short iron shots a lot more but the back tees force me to use fairway and hybrids shots more. I get good experience mixing it up. I definitely have more chances for birdies and the occasional eagle on the forward tees. No doubt about it.

I have heard of this program but not sure how to measure which tees to use. Any guidance? Is it based on average driver distance?
Here are the Tee it Forward recommendations:

Driver Distance Recommended
18 Hole Yardages
275 6,700 - 6,900
250 6,200 - 6,400
225 5,800 - 6,000
200 5,200 - 5,400
175 4,400 - 4,600
150 3,500 - 3,700
125 2,800 - 3,000
100 2,100 - 2,300

Back