playing in very hot weather for first time; plus thunderstorm question

I will not only apply the baby powder but will bring some in the bag as well! Now that I think about it, would be a good way to dry out the hands as well if need be.
Can't thank you all enough for the input! Got me pretty darn excited and feeling more prepared.

I live in Central Alabama, so I know hot and humid pretty well. Any questions, shoot me a PM and I will be happy to help ya.

Hit em straight.

Everyone has given great responses to the hot weather, so I won't bother, but as Smally mentioned get off the course if you hear thunder. It can hit you from miles away and simply not worth the chance. You do not want to be holding a club in the air like a lightning rod, lol. I've had several times where I could see the dark clouds, but heard no thunder while fishing, yet I could actually see an arc flash from my hand to a fishing rod and feel the snap/crackle. It kills people so err on the safe side.

I played larkhaven 2 weeks ago and the greens were terrible. I just wanted to give you a heads up. There are alot better public play options in charlotte.

awesome tips guys! Definitely will be wearing white, an old hat i can soak up, lots of sunscreen... and I will drink TONS of water!

Now, I feel a bit like Roy "Tin Cup" MCavoy because i'm tempted to walk the course. I dunno though.. when I land at midnight tomorrow night and feel 90 degree heat and humidity, I might leave the ego at the airport. :) But i typically despise carts, having to bring 5 clubs with you because you're unsure of a lie or whatever.

Thanks all, I'll post pics here later on. Self-shots of me chugging water, lol.
As far as your comment about taking 5 clubs to the ball,most of the courses around here are NOT cart path only unless they have had a lot of recent rain.Most are open to carts or at least 90* rule.There are exceptions ,but just my experience.Also,agree with the drink plenty of water,not soft drinks and if you hear thunder,beware.Sometimes the courses are slow to respond with a warning horn or siren.

I played larkhaven 2 weeks ago and the greens were terrible. I just wanted to give you a heads up. There are alot better public play options in charlotte.

I agree-Eagle Chase,Tillery Tradition,The Warrior and Fox Den are better courses but a bit out of Charlotte.

I agree-Eagle Chase,Tillery Tradition,The Warrior and Fox Den are better courses but a bit out of Charlotte.

I'm coming from Fort Mill exit off 485 (southwest of charlotte) -- anything more towards there you'd suggest?

Maybe Regent Park in Fort Mill.It's on the NC-SC border right off I-77 and I-485.I haven't played there personally ,but friends that have say it is a good course and the latest reviews I've read mention that it is in good shape.It is a little on the pricey side for the area but online specials would help.

I play in 100 + heat all the time, every summer, walk or ride. Bring lots of water, fill the bottle at every opportunity and grab a small towel or a clean golf towel and soak it in water every time you see a water cooler. Wear that around your neck - it will cool you off considerably. Do you want to play golf in the heat without killing yourself or or look fashionable? Also I wear a wide brim hat and sometimes put that wet towel under the back of the hat french foreign legion style and let the wind blow through it to coll things down. I have no idea why grips would matter - your hands will be so sweaty that the type of grip makes no difference. I always carry at least one extra towel to wipe off grips and hands on every shot. Hopefully the golf course you are playing isn't one of those resort types that puts lemon juice or some other kind of citrusy flavoring in the water the fill the coolers with, doing that totally makes the water useless for anything but drinking.

thanks again everyone. i got plenty of towels in the bag, two water bottles, etc.

Also thx for the heads up with larkhaven conditions!

I'd bring an extra shirt too. Sometimes I'd change at the turn.

Playing in Charlotte this weekend. First time in high heat and humidity. Just got new synthetic winn grips which was probably a mistake right before playing in the heat. How can I be best prepared to handle the heat? what are your secrets?

Also, weather report shows an afternoon short thunderstorm. Does play suspend when there is thunder and rain (i know it must for lightning) and then continue when it clears??? This is probably such a common issue for you south easterners, but I've never had to consider this.

Couple of suggestions for you.:
1- Make sure you have multiple gloves, and change through them every 3 holes or so.
2- Make sure you drink plenty of water, or gatorade. Stay away from alcohol!
3- If the course allows you to bring a cooler, or rents them, get one. Keep your drinks in it, and stick a small hand towel in it too. Use the towel to wipe down your head, face, and back of your neck every few holes. This will really help to keep you cool, and it will cool off your hands while you are using it.
4- They call for thunderstorms in the afternoon here every day. It doesn't mean one is coming, but with the heat, and humidity, it is always possible, so don't worry about that, but, if you hear thunder, there probably is lightening too. Find some cover, and it will most likely blow through pretty quick.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Maybe Regent Park in Fort Mill.It's on the NC-SC border right off I-77 and I-485.I haven't played there personally ,but friends that have say it is a good course and the latest reviews I've read mention that it is in good shape.It is a little on the pricey side for the area but online specials would help.

Hey, i'm definitely gonna go with Regent Park! Thanks for the suggestion. Only 8 mi. from where I'm staying, and that matters because I'm sharing a car with my brother.

Hydration, a snack or two, a towel or two, and definitely some powder nothing worse than reliezing you forgot that half way through a round. Take your time if you feel like your overdoing it there is nothing wrong with stopping in the shade or at the clubhouse to cool down for a bit. As far as thunder and lighting, some clubs are play at your own risk but I value my own life too much too risk it over a friendly match. Most nicer clubs do have sirens or will send an employee to let you know that its probably a good idea to head in.

1. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
2.Take you a towel to wipe the sweat off your brow. If you are not use to the humidity the towel might come in handy.
3. You might want to take a piece of fruit, energy bar, etc. to help fight the fatique.
4. If ya hear thunder close by, haul arse to the clubhouse!

Bingo, Gray. Hidration, hidration, hidration. Humidity gets so thick down here on the coast you can cut it with a knife. Theres no such thing as all day golf down here in the summer. The earlier tee time, the better.

Bingo, Gray. Hidration, hidration, hidration. Humidity gets so thick down here on the coast you can cut it with a knife. Theres no such thing as all day golf down here in the summer. The earlier tee time, the better.

considering my connecting flight is delayed and I won't leave Atlanta until 11:33pm (they say...), I'm looking at about a 1am-ish arrival. Gotta get my clubs from baggage claim and then drive 25 min. to my spot. Asleep by 2:30 - 3am at best?

I already booked a 10:24am tee time through golfnow. Eek, that replay is going to be a challenge. Hell, the first round is going to hurt too!

We played in the heat and humidity today. Best advice for that is drink a quart of water beforehand and as much as possible during the round. By the time you "need" water, you are already dehydrated. Drink it before you need it always.

We played in the heat and humidity today. Best advice for that is drink a quart of water beforehand and as much as possible during the round. By the time you "need" water, you are already dehydrated. Drink it before you need it always.

Great point smalls, never wait until your thirsty to drink. I played 36 today and the temps were pushing 100, went through water right and left.

--
tapatalk

What a magical day. Regent park was perhaps the nicest course I've ever played. they were 35 min delayed at the start so just Got in 18 and shot a sloppy 89 but so happy with it as a starting point. Didn't one putt once lol. And had no warm up so the first few holes were brutal. But I strung together a few pars here and there which will certainly keep me coming back. Hit of the day was coming up 10 yards short of a 329 yd green. but round was slow so just hit a bucket after the round and holy hell, while out there the thunder and lightning and insane rain came down.

What a perfect day. The wet towel idea? Saved me. Almost never felt over heated the whole round. And definitely took water seriously.

Thank you all for making this one of the best golf experiences of my life !!

Glad you enjoyed the day and welcome to the South!

Back