My GolfTEC "fitting" experience this morning

So I emailed the guy about my displeasure.

All I got back was a few notes from the "lesson". He gave me an id# and password for the golfTEC website to view our "lesson" notes. It doesn't even work. LOL What a joke!

Maybe this guy isn't a clubfitter? I mean when I got there he thought it was a lesson, maybe he was just trying to cover it up by giving me some pointers on my tee shot. UGH. I am so bummed right now.

Maybe golfTEC should just stick to lessons.

So I emailed the guy about my displeasure.

All I got back was a few notes from the "lesson". He gave me an id# and password for the golfTEC website to view our "lesson" notes. It doesn't even work. LOL What a joke!

Maybe this guy isn't a clubfitter? I mean when I got there he thought it was a lesson, maybe he was just trying to cover it up by giving me some pointers on my tee shot. UGH. I am so bummed right now.

Maybe golfTEC should just stick to lessons.

Wow, thats lame. I got the same thing but my online lesson page actualy works. Its a decent reference to go over again and again for a few pointers he gave me. Still feel like I got shafted though.

Update....

I just received another email from the guy

Here it is:

I’m sorry that we didn’t go through the vector fitting. I felt that giving you the lesson wtih the driver would help you with your consistency which is what you needed for the driver. For the irons the computer would have given you the same information as I did according to where your game is and what you were looking for in irons. For the shafts the options I had mentioned are more for the driver rather than the irons. Irons aren’t as in depth due to the shafts being steel. graphite is where the options come more in to play. If you feel that you didn’t get the information you were looking for then I would be happy to do the vector fitting with you for no charge. I do feel though that the Nike irons would be perfect for what you’re looking for. Let me know if you have any questions and again I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ok. Based on his reply should I go do the vector fitting? what do you guys think?

Update....

Here it is:

I’m sorry that we didn’t go through the vector fitting. I felt that giving you the lesson wtih the driver would help you with your consistency which is what you needed for the driver. For the irons the computer would have given you the same information as I did according to where your game is and what you were looking for in irons. For the shafts the options I had mentioned are more for the driver rather than the irons. Irons aren’t as in depth due to the shafts being steel. graphite is where the options come more in to play. If you feel that you didn’t get the information you were looking for then I would be happy to do the vector fitting with you for no charge. I do feel though that the Nike irons would be perfect for what you’re looking for. Let me know if you have any questions and again I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ok. Based on his reply should I go do the vector fitting? what do you guys think?

Yes, go for it.

Absolutely. When done properly, the fitting is excellent, and if he is offering it for free, you have no reason not to bite on it.

Update....

Here it is:

Do you think you would be anymore satisfied with the same guy or should you ask and see if the fitter JR worked with is still there? I personally would be hesitant to put in a 7 hour roundl trip and roughly 2 hours in B'ham when I was not comfortable I would really get what I was putting in the time and money ( you said $70 worth of gas) for. Make sure you are comfortable or you could end up being even more fustrated and a little lighter in the wallet too. That's all I'm sayin'.

Lol, wrong guy, DD. Burmbuster is the one who is in alabama.

Do you think you would be anymore satisfied with the same guy or should you ask and see if the fitter JR worked with is still there? I personally would be hesitant to put in a 7 hour roundl trip and roughly 2 hours in B'ham when I was not comfortable I would really get what I was putting in the time and money ( you said $70 worth of gas) for. Make sure you are comfortable or you could end up being even more fustrated and a little lighter in the wallet too. That's all I'm sayin'.

My bad, with 2 extremely similar threads going it is hard for my pea brain to keep up. :confused2:

I emailed him back and told him I'd like to take him up on his offer. I figure...why not! Thats why I went there in the first place. I could have gotten what I got the first time for FREE from just about anywhere. Plus while I like the Pro Cavity's and am leaning that way, I am curious what the computer spits out.

I'll update you guys when I go back.

I emailed him back and told him I'd like to take him up on his offer. I figure...why not! Thats why I went there in the first place. I could have gotten what I got the first time for FREE from just about anywhere. Plus while I like the Pro Cavity's and am leaning that way, I am curious what the computer spits out.

I'll update you guys when I go back.

That sounds fair. Give the guy a chance to make things right, otherwise it just is a bad experience for all. I've only played with two guys that use golftec, for fittings and lessons, and they both are/were totally happy with them.

My bad, with 2 extremely similar threads going it is hard for my pea brain to keep up. :confused2:

LOL. Yeah, I'm dealing with Edwin Watts now and am extremely happy. I am demo'ing clubs at the range all weekend thanks to Edwin Watts.

Dude you have to go back. I would take issue with his comment about iron shafts, there is quite a bit of difference between not only brands but even within the manufacturers.

--
tapatalk

Update....

Here it is:

Here we go again with the average member at THP knowing more about fitting and equipment than an apprentice PGA professional.

Here we go again with the average member at THP knowing more about fitting and equipment than an apprentice PGA professional.

not sure if the "no charge" fitting now is even worth it

not sure if the "no charge" fitting now is even worth it

I know right. Since the original meeting I have already decided that I am going with either Nike Pro Cavity's or Pro Combos, so I don't know if I need the full "vector" fitting whatever that means.

I really just want to see what shaft fits me best, according to true temper my ideal shaft is a X100 for my irons. I don't know without seeing some info if I should go with those or just the regular stiff that comes with the irons. AND thats why I want to go get fitted. That and I really need to be fitted for a driver shaft as well. I'm thinking either the project X 6.5 or an aldila RIP. but haven't hit either on a monitor yet.

Ok. I'm FINALLY going back for my fitting and since I was not given the true fitting last time, I want to be sure I get what I paid for this time. What should I be expecting? Any questions I should definitely ask?

Last edited:
I recently went into my local Golftec for a driver fitting and will return in a few weeks for my iron fitting. When I set the appt. I spoke directly with the director of instruction to set the appt. He greeted me with a hardy hand shake and took me into the hitting lab. We chated about likes and dislikes with my Driver, distance, ball flight, etc. He measure my hand hand and recommended the a midsize grip. Measured my distance from my wrist to floor and started warming up.

After he captured my numbers we walkd me through the 12 options that came up on in their data base that would compare to my current driver. I hit three of the 12 and in the end it was determined that my currnt driver was the best fit for me. It socred in all the big cats. as he put it.
We discussed ways to reduce my back spin even more to maximize the amount of roll I would get and we came up with a good shaft that I will be purchasing for my driver.
Ask a ton of questions, ask for the printed and email copy of the session as why he thinks a certain way if it does not jibe with what you are thinking. This fitting is for you and no one else. I really enjoyed my fitting and we actually hit it off and will be teeing it up in the near future. BTW my numbers were nothing like I thought they would be.

Ok. I'm FINALLY going back for my fitting and since I was not given the true fitting last time, I want to be sure I get what I paid for this time. What should I be expecting? Any questions I should definitely ask?

I recently went into my local Golftec for a driver fitting and will return in a few weeks for my iron fitting. When I set the appt. I spoke directly with the director of instruction to set the appt. He greeted me with a hardy hand shake and took me into the hitting lab. We chated about likes and dislikes with my Driver, distance, ball flight, etc. He measure my hand hand and recommended the a midsize grip. Measured my distance from my wrist to floor and started warming up.

After he captured my numbers we walkd me through the 12 options that came up on in their data base that would compare to my current driver. I hit three of the 12 and in the end it was determined that my currnt driver was the best fit for me. It socred in all the big cats. as he put it.
We discussed ways to reduce my back spin even more to maximize the amount of roll I would get and we came up with a good shaft that I will be purchasing for my driver.
Ask a ton of questions, ask for the printed and email copy of the session as why he thinks a certain way if it does not jibe with what you are thinking. This fitting is for you and no one else. I really enjoyed my fitting and we actually hit it off and will be teeing it up in the near future. BTW my numbers were nothing like I thought they would be.

What was very different from what you thought Tad? For most of us it is that we think we carry the ball farther than we actually do.

Just wanted to update everyone as I just got back from my second GolfTEC iron "clubfitting"...

Well, this time around he knew exactly what I was there for. We got started right away. He measured my middle finger, my wrist to that finger and my wrist to floor. Turns out I am standard length, and pretty much standard grip but might benefit from 1 or 2 xtra wraps.

From there I hit some control balls with my 6 iron. However unfortunately my club is not in their database so we had to use one they did have. We used a ping s56 as he said it was similar design. Then he had me hit off the lie board. Turns out I need a 2 degree upright for my current swing. My current clubs are 1 inch long instead of standard and 2 degree upright. He said that is not the correct way to fix the club. Interesting...

Onto the rest of the fitting. The launch monitor wasn't working for about the first 15 mins, then they finally got it set up. I hit 5 good balls with the "control" club. Then the computer spit out a bunch of recommendations based on the numbers.

I thought it was odd that it was recommending clubs I had no interest in whatsoever. I also found it interesting that there was not 1 callaway club listed. After talking about the selections and what I was looking for in the club we ended up with the Mizuno JPX800 Pro, Nike VR Pro Combo and the TaylorMade MC. All with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts. I hit 3 good balls with each club and then it spit out a recommendation.

The Mizuno JPX800 Pro was the winner with the Nike Pro Combos a close second. He also told me he thought I would be happier with the Mizuno's then the Nike's in the long run as they are a little more forgiving.

I was much happier getting more of a fitting and some info this time around. However since the machine wasn't working properly I think we wasted more time with getting it to work than actually trying clubs as I only got to hit 3 different ones. PLUS I was hoping to use the mizuno shaft optimizer and stuff to see how it affected ball flight and such, but he told me that pretty much that a stiff iron shaft is pretty much the way to go. That I wouldn't notice much difference with my current game between different manufacturers.

I feel like I got a much better place to start now that I have some info/data to look at, but I may end up going someplace else to see if there turns out being different results. Was it worth the $99 bucks. Probably between the 2 times I went.

This is still wrong. As mfrs. make their 6 irons with different lie angles, they idea would be to pick a club/set and then check the lie on the board, NOT check the lie with a control club and then just assume that any club you buy should be 2* upright. For example the burner 2.0 6 iron is 62.5*, my x22 6 iron is 61.0*. I've been told by multiple fitters that my ideal 6 iron lie angle is 63* so while that's a 2* adjustment on my x22 it's nearly stock on the 2.0s.

I have yet to read one example of Golftec really being an "expert" at fitting (they certainly weren't in my case).

Great piece of info that a lot of people miss, which is the different lie angles.

This is still wrong. As mfrs. make their 6 irons with different lie angles, they idea would be to pick a club/set and then check the lie on the board, NOT check the lie with a control club and then just assume that any club you buy should be 2* upright. For example the burner 2.0 6 iron is 62.5*, my x22 6 iron is 61.0*. I've been told by multiple fitters that my ideal 6 iron lie angle is 63* so while that's a 2* adjustment on my x22 it's nearly stock on the 2.0s.

I have yet to read one example of Golftec really being an "expert" at fitting (they certainly weren't in my case).

glad it went better for you, sucks you only got to try out 3 clubs for only a few minutes total

What was very different from what you thought Tad? For most of us it is that we think we carry the ball farther than we actually do.

It was the same for me. I hit a few that carries 279 and finished in the 290 range during warm up. But during testing my average was 257 with an average distance of 279.
My swing speed averaged out at 103.5 with a launch angle of 15.4 and 2600 in back spin.
I thought I carries it further and hit it longer. It was eye opening to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glad it went better for you, sucks you only got to try out 3 clubs for only a few minutes total

Yeah, we actually had a Cleveland CG7 there and one other I can't remember, but I never hit them cause the software only allowed 3 clubs info to be input. Seems silly to me.

Well, this time around he knew exactly what I was there for. We got started right away. He measured my middle finger, my wrist to that finger and my wrist to floor. Turns out I am standard length, and pretty much standard grip but might benefit from 1 or 2 xtra wraps.

Good.

From there I hit some control balls with my 6 iron. However unfortunately my club is not in their database so we had to use one they did have. We used a ping s56 as he said it was similar design. Then he had me hit off the lie board. Turns out I need a 2 degree upright for my current swing.

No no no. Flooder already mentioned this but lie angles are not consistent between brands or even different iron heads in the same brand. I can be 1 up in MX200's, 2.5 up in JPX800 Pro's and 1 down in S3 Pro's all at the same time.

PLUS I was hoping to use the mizuno shaft optimizer and stuff to see how it affected ball flight and such, but he told me that pretty much that a stiff iron shaft is pretty much the way to go. That I wouldn't notice much difference with my current game between different manufacturers.

:banghead:

Stiff iron shafts launch and spin very differently. A PX5.5 is different from a KBS Tour or a Dynamic Gold S300 quite a bit. And just because you need a stiff iron shaft doesn't mean you need a 125 gram shaft either. There's a big difference in someone's swing that uses a Dynamic Gold S300 vs a Dynamic Gold GS95 S300 even though they're both stiff and both rated a S300.

Back