Never ending search for a strong 3 wood...Help Me!!!

amr9944

Reaction score
Handicap
Like most of you out there, I'm always looking for something better. This past season I revisited my 3 wood troubles, a club I hadn't carried in over 3 years because it cost me so many strokes on the course. Not from the fairway, but rather off the tee. I can handle my own off the box with the driver but many of the courses I play are shorter and finding the fairway is priority so a 3 wood is a perfect alternative. Problem is when you can't hit one without things going wrong. Currently I carry a Tour Exotics CB2 15* w/ VS Proto X and hit it very well, just ball flight is way too high (ballooning). The deep face on this model is what I've been searching for all these years and would like to find something similar just want to keep it lower. I'm looking for suggestions on shaft combinations to keep a more boring ball flight or even a different brand deep faced 3 wood. Thanks

I have found two that work very well for my game.

The longest FW wood I have ever played is the Cleveland FL Launcher from this year.
Now I am testing the Cleveland Mashie FW Wood that is 14* and it is very unique.

I'd throw in a vote for the G20. Only fairway wood I've owned and it's been fantastic.

Not as deep face as some but Ping I15 has a 14 degree. I have the 15.5 and with the right shaft, the flight is nice and boring.

I have played with a guy 2 times that has the Adams F11 in 13.5* and the ballflight is excellent for him. Now, he does hit an 8* driver as well so he has a lot of swing. I haven't hit the club so I guess the feedback is worth what you paid for it but I noticed they are now on sale. Might be something for you to hit.

Check out this one. I have hit it a few times and I think it is a beast.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...55-Cleveland-CG-Black-Fairway-Wood-THP-Review

As for the shaft about all I can say there is get a fitting done. Heck just a fitting for a proper shaft might be the ticket to keep using your current 3 wood.

I would agree with royalwulff. I found a whole new respect for all my clubs after I changed to the correct shafts. I currently hit a T.M. Burner Superfast strong 3W with a Fujikura Motore 65 X-stiff and I love it. My typical shaft is the Aldila NV X or stiff, but I had a chance to get this club custom ordered for free :clapp: ; so I checked the specs and it was very similar. It is the first 3W I've had. I always carried a strong 4W, but I liked it better for certain tee shots. I hit it a mile off the deck and it is better to work the ball off the tee.

RAZR Hawk 13* with a proforce V2 tour. I hit this thing a mile with a really boring penetrating flight. In fact in real windy conditions I hit this further than my driver.

I've tried just about every 3 wood on the market and the G15 with just the plain old stock Serrano gave me a nice low penetrating flight. The course I play has very tight fairways but is relatively short so I tend to keep my driver in the bag unless its a par 5. I'd say give it a shot, could probably pick one up cheap with the G20 being out.

I cannot hit a deep faced 3wood off the deck. Never have been able to and pretty much gave up on carrying a 3wood. Then I found a super cheap shallow faced 3wood in my garage from my very first set of clubs I got years ago. I took it out and it worked great. Then I got the the Cleveland Mashie and hit that thing even farther and benched the old 3wood. So long story short I would love to find a nice shallow 3wood and finally have a good wood in my bag.

I'll second JB here. I absolutely love my Cleveland FL Launcher with it's stock Miyazaki shaft.

Thanks all...gonna try the cleveland and ping models for starters. Sadly the courses around don't offer much selection for fitting and we get a demo day typically once a year and they never seem to have x flex shafts.

Like most of you out there, I'm always looking for something better. This past season I revisited my 3 wood troubles, a club I hadn't carried in over 3 years because it cost me so many strokes on the course. Not from the fairway, but rather off the tee. I can handle my own off the box with the driver but many of the courses I play are shorter and finding the fairway is priority so a 3 wood is a perfect alternative. Problem is when you can't hit one without things going wrong. Currently I carry a Tour Exotics CB2 15* w/ VS Proto X and hit it very well, just ball flight is way too high (ballooning). The deep face on this model is what I've been searching for all these years and would like to find something similar just want to keep it lower. I'm looking for suggestions on shaft combinations to keep a more boring ball flight or even a different brand deep faced 3 wood. Thanks

Thanks all...gonna try the cleveland and ping models for starters. Sadly the courses around don't offer much selection for fitting and we get a demo day typically once a year and they never seem to have x flex shafts.

What are the specs of your driver?

I cannot hit a deep faced 3wood off the deck. Never have been able to and pretty much gave up on carrying a 3wood. Then I found a super cheap shallow faced 3wood in my garage from my very first set of clubs I got years ago. I took it out and it worked great. Then I got the the Cleveland Mashie and hit that thing even farther and benched the old 3wood. So long story short I would love to find a nice shallow 3wood and finally have a good wood in my bag.

I played for years without a 3W and finally found one I could play in the Callaway Big Bertha Diablo. The first version, not the Edge models that came out the next year. Phil was playing the same one and said it's the best 3 wood he's seen. Whatever that means, but it was the first 3 wood I could have confidence in. Not too deep of a head, but it has a nice shallow face with a generous sweet spot. Now I've moved onto a Mizuno MP series . Even smaller head than the Diablo, but a very nice traditional shape in a sleek package. I'm still debating if I want to swap the shaft from the Mizuno into the Callaway.

Back