Best advice you have ever recieved in regards to your golf game

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Every golfer has different needs and wants. Some look for the perfect swing of the club, the right angle of attack, perfect position at the top of the swing, how they finish...etc
We have all received tips/advice at one time of another in regards to our games. What is the best best piece of advise you have gotten.
The one tip that really changed my game was very small. I was told to square up my right foot at address. I used to have it a bit open which allowed my swing to get a little long and off plane. By squaring my back (right) foot it kept the weight on the inside of my right foot and thigh. This gave me more power through my swing.

"Drink another beer."

That is a tough one...I would say that keeping my head behind the ball was the best thing because it really turned things around for me.

Take up bowling

Tap,Tap,Tap

It will sound silly to most of you but in the beginning no one ever told me that I was supposed to hit down on the ball to make it go up. I spent many rounds of golf trying to help the ball into the air. Also finding out how hitting the inside of the ball will actually make it go left and hitting the outside of the ball will make it go right. As a beginner, I saw things working just the opposite.

Swing inside out. Never knew that till about a year and half after I started playing. Feels good to not see every single ball banana slice.

Weight on left leg when chipping

Quit while you're ahead.

Quit while you're ahead.

but what if you're never ahead:D

of late a tip that was given to me was to narrow my stance with all my irons.this has helped no end especiallywith my approach shots from 120 yrds in,i strike them much better now because of this.

About a month ago the club champion from my club told me to think about tempo and not try to hit the ball hard, it made such a difference. The day after that I almost went out and shot 74 which would have been my best round by 4 shots. Unfortunately I finished dreadfully but that advice has stuck with me since and it's really working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow my swing down. Playing a shorter shot off the fairway is way better than a long shot out of the long grass

Best tip; Get swing advice from a real live PGA teaching professional. Hard for someone on the internet to tell you what to change while not being able to see you swing a club. No one swing fits everyone.

"Get your swing more upright, and power through with your right hand." My one and only lesson from a local pro who solved my multi-year "sh__nk" dilemna in one session. He watched me take some swings gripping the club with my left hand only, and nearly lunged at me telling me "don't ever do that again!" LOL

For me it was, "never take golf too seriously". Ive found that its gotten me though a lot of frustration with this game.

Look forward, not back.

Golf is better played with a very short term memory.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Advice I gave to my daughter when she was taking up the game and I still tell myself before almost every shot:

Slow back, accelerate through.

my very first instructor told me "golf is a game of opposites"
hit down and the ball goes up
right goes left left goes right

Go get lessons.

I had recieved so many tips when picking the game up. I was trying everything and half of it was counteracting each other. I was sure I didn't need lessons, but my dad convinced me to go get lessons. Completely turned me around and got me headed in the right direction. I bet I would still be taking multiple mulligans per round and still scoring in the upper 90's if I hadn't gone for that first lesson two months ago.

my boss (pga teaching pro) once told me to "swing as hard as you can just in case you hit it"

Best advice? "Just hit the ball," from my high school golf coach some 20 odd years ago.

Start reading the green from 100 yards out. You can see ridges and little hollows you can't easily see up close.

Best advice? "Just hit the ball," from my high school golf coach some 20 odd years ago.

Got that as well except it was more along the lines of "stop thinking and just hit the trucking ball, you know what you're doing". Still a work in progress though

Back