iPad and swing analysis software

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw Hank Haney using an iPad to record Bill Cowher's swing and then show it to him using some analysis software. Very cool. My niece's husband had his new iPad today. I was farting around with it and the thing is pretty cool. Now that I have had a smart phone for a day and a half, I might want to add more technology to my life. It would be so cool to tape my daughter and be able to show her swing back to her right on the range.

Does anyone have any experience using the V1 Pro software or the like with an iPad?

Kevin

i use the V1 pro on my iPhone im sure its even better on the bigger screen although its probably easier to set up the iPhone to use when you are by yourself . It is a cheap app and has a section with a few drills from various teaching pros and also a library full of FO and DL swings of various tour players.

I saw Hank Haney using an iPad to record Bill Cowher's swing and then show it to him using some analysis software. Very cool. My niece's husband had his new iPad today. I was farting around with it and the thing is pretty cool. Now that I have had a smart phone for a day and a half, I might want to add more technology to my life. It would be so cool to tape my daughter and be able to show her swing back to her right on the range.

Does anyone have any experience using the V1 Pro software or the like with an iPad?

Kevin

Kevin, my coach brings out the IPad at just about every lesson that he gives. He uses the V1 software that you can download as an app, he likes that he can pretty much go frame-by-frame through the swing when using that app. He loves it because it's so much easier than him trying to set up his video camera and then hook it up to his computer. I have downloaded the V1 app for my Android phone, but have yet to use it at the range.

Kevin

That's exactly what my instructor does with the V1 golf app in his iPhone. It's a fantastic tool as he gives me instant feedback and you don't waste time loading video to a PC off the range. I downloaded the free version of V1 pro and can see my lessons @ home too. It's only $35 for the upgrade which allows side-by-side analysis and access to more PGA or LPGA pro swing videos.

Kevin, my coach brings out the IPad at just about every lesson that he gives. He uses the V1 software that you can download as an app, he likes that he can pretty much go frame-by-frame through the swing when using that app. He loves it because it's so much easier than him trying to set up his video camera and then hook it up to his computer. I have downloaded the V1 app for my Android phone, but have yet to use it at the range.

I was looking at the app on the V! site, but I'm so ignorant about this stuff it's pathetic. It appears the app also offers the drawing tools so one can draw the different swing angles? iPads are not cheap, but for the cost of a TP driver I could show my daughter her swing, and have an Ipad to mess with. Her swing coach is an older fellow that doesn't use video per se, but we've talked of it, and if I had this he would certainly let me use it to contribute to lessons. This has me really intrigued.

Thanks for responding guys, any more info/feedback is appreciated. Seeing Haney do it it just seemed to make so much sense.

Kevin

I was looking at the app on the V! site, but I'm so ignorant about this stuff it's pathetic. It appears the app also offers the drawing tools so one can draw the different swing angles? iPads are not cheap, but for the cost of a TP driver I could show my daughter her swing, and have an Ipad to mess with. Her swing coach is an older fellow that doesn't use video per se, but we've talked of it, and if I had this he would certainly let me use it to contribute to lessons. This has me really intrigued.

Thanks for responding guys, any more info/feedback is appreciated. Seeing Haney do it it just seemed to make so much sense.

Kevin

You can draw lines by using the app, my coach will mainly do that to show me the swing plane and where the club is located in relation to it.

Another good idea: when your daughter is swinging well, get that swing on video and store it; doesn't have to be on the app, but just on video someplace. Then if her swing is a little off, you can compare her swing at that time to the swing that you have stored. Video doesn't lie.

You can draw lines by using the app, my coach will mainly do that to show me the swing plane and where the club is located in relation to it.

Another good idea: when your daughter is swinging well, get that swing on video and store it; doesn't have to be on the app, but just on video someplace. Then if her swing is a little off, you can compare her swing at that time to the swing that you have stored. Video doesn't lie.

Thanks for the feedback, Amol. We're going to try it on a phone to get the feel of it I think. I'm really excited about this idea. Now that her wrist is healthy she is working on a complete rebuild of her swing plane mechanics, and this might be just the ticket for when it's just me helping her without her coach present.

Kevin

I use it quite a bit to keep my angles in check. You can compare two swings, draw lines, and go frame by frame to help keep everything running smoothly.

I feel the tech is worth the money tenfold. But I personally think a tripod is the most efficient way to use it.

Does your daughter have an ipod touch with a camera? If so, you can load v1 on there.

She does have a Touch. We also have Android phones. Thanks for that idea, Thainer. One thing I'm unclear about. To be able to draw the plane angles do you need the $40.00+- software, or does the $4.99 app do that also? I can obviously call them, but since we're talking about it I might as well ask.

Kevin

The 5$ one will do everything you need. I dont have experience with android, but the apple products are extremely easy to use.

This is what it looks like and you can draw things on and around from here.

EDIT: Holy smokes I was fat in June compared to August-September.

9502b5d5.jpg

She does have a Touch. We also have Android phones. Thanks for that idea, Thainer. One thing I'm unclear about. To be able to draw the plane angles do you need the $40.00+- software, or does the $4.99 app do that also? I can obviously call them, but since we're talking about it I might as well ask.

Kevin

Is it just me, or does your set up look A LOT better in the lower photo?

Kevin

Kevin,

You can actually draw the lines on the free version...I have it on my Ipad and my PC at home....I have even taken video from my flip camera and opened it in windows movie maker and converted it so I can view it in V1.

The video quality is better and it's much easier to video...I can set the flip up on a tripod and record a whole range session and then just edit out a few swings for viewing. If you have a regular flip camera or something like that you can even try that and just download the free V1 software to your PC....No smartphone or Ipad needed.

I was on the fence about getting an ipad but this thread has me convinced we need one. That software sounds great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Here's a pretty good video talking about how you can film your swing, then upload it to an Ipad and use V1 golf to analyze it. The video is a little old because it refers to the first IPad that didn't have a camera, the current version of the IPad does have a camera:

Here's an example of a swing analysis using the app:

[video=youtube;L602H-NViho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L602H-NViho[/video]

Lines work well. Straight or curvy.

A la Craig Stadler.

63ef301b-4d27-b131.jpg

I'm walrusesque.

Kevin,

You can actually draw the lines on the free version...I have it on my Ipad and my PC at home....I have even taken video from my flip camera and opened it in windows movie maker and converted it so I can view it in V1.

The video quality is better and it's much easier to video...I can set the flip up on a tripod and record a whole range session and then just edit out a few swings for viewing. If you have a regular flip camera or something like that you can even try that and just download the free V1 software to your PC....No smartphone or Ipad needed.

Thanks for that info. I've thought of that, but what I really want to do is show her right at the range, as opposed to coming home and doing it on the computer. For $5.00 we're going to mess around with it a little bit.

Thanks again, guys. Off to bed. Back to work tomorrow. Bummer.

Kevin

So, this will work with an iPhone? If so, where can I find it?

I may be getting an iPhone in March. I've never seen a video of my swing.

One thing you can do as well, with a flip camera, you can spend 20 bucks on an Ipad camera conversion kit and it will allow you to plug your flip camera directly into the ipad and import the video in about 20 seconds.

Just a thought so you can still use the flip camera and a tripod but still import the video to IPAD for view on the range.

I believe they have this for the droid phones now as well. I had the V1 on my old laptop, but have not added to this one yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Question for anyone using this on their phone. I was reading some user comments online and there were a number of complaints about popup ads. Any problems with that?

Kevin

My instructor also uses his IPad during our lessons using this software. He draws lines while we discuss my swing. He'll occasionally email a video or picture to me. We have this on the IPhone too but I haven't tried it yet. I think it would be a great tool in helping your daughter.

Does V1 come in actual iPad version? Not an iPhone version stretched out onto the iPad.

Back