No GPS or Range Finders...are you able to get your yardage?

No matter where I play I find GPS or range Finders,either on the cart or in someone's bag. I am curious if those that a dependent on these tools could do with out. Can you eye your yardage without the use of modern technology? Are you lost with out it?
I find that I eye my yardages more than I use the GPS. As a result I'm often asked for my thoughts by my playing partners. Anyone else like eyeing their yardages?

If you don't use course markings for reference, then I would have to see it to believe that you could tell the difference between 200 yards and 220 on a course which you aren't familiar with just by eying it. On my home course I can do it pretty well because I've taken shots from just about everywhere, but even then I usually try to spy out the 150 markers and estimate from there. But the farther you are from the target, the more difficult it is to get a reasonable accurate number without any interim reference point.

By the way, I've played since long before there was anything like a laser or GPS rangefinder. When I first started, many courses didn't even have the 150 yard markers, much less anything else. The first time I saw markers at 200, 150 and 100, I thought "Man, that's cool".

I'd rather use a GPS. Pacing off yardages, first, it takes time, plus you gotta find the sprinkler head, and hope it is marked! I almost always take the yardage to the back of the greenbrcause if anything I hit it short anyway so I'd rather take extra club. I also have a rangefinder but I use the GPS much more.

And how are you going to pace the yardage to the dogleg, or the hazard, or the bunker that you have to decide whether to lay up to or hit it over? You might know on a course you play a lot but what about a new course?

This is a big key for me. How often have you seen guys playing a layup shot, then dumping the ball right into the hazard they were trying to lay short of? Trying to figure out the distance to a hazard or tree line is mostly a guessing game unless you have some help. Since I started carrying a laser and a GPS, I almost never have those issues because I can pick a club with certainty which can't reach the hazard even with my best ever swing. It not only means that I don't hit into the trouble, but that peace of mind helps me put a better swing on the ball.

Last edited:
How do you know they are correct if you've never compared it to a rangefinder or GPS?

As I noted in another thread, my course is adding a new set of tees so everything is being not only re-checked with GPS, but we are also doing some other grade and distance work with a Trimble GNSS system.

One thing we have found, is that many of our very old distances (markers and numbers on heads) are off. Some fairway markers are off as much as 15 yards to the front of the green. GPS units take all of the guess work out. Units can be had for a great price now days, and I just wonder why I waited so long.

We have blue, white and r ed steaks in the ground to mark our distances. When I fall between markers I just eyeball where I am between the two markers. And pull a club, and use a swing that will get me to where I need to go. For the most part this method works just fine. I over or undershoot a few greens a round.

Would I like a gps or range finder, sure but I'd still use my normal estimation process along with it.

Most of the courses I play have 150 yards to the green markers. Without my GPS I wouldn't have a clue how far I had left to the green.

Before GPS were around and I played all the time I was able to judge the distances just fine. Guess I have gotten lazy as I have got older

I have never played with GPS or rangefinders. My course has 200, 150, and 100 marked and I just pace off my distance from the nearest one of those markers....
Some around here also have the yardages on the sprinkler heads, so that's even more exact!

How do you know they are correct if you've never compared it to a rangefinder or GPS?

Got to agree with Smalls on this one, I have a rangefinder and my playing buddy has a gps. We have found some fairway markers as much as 12 yards off, I don't believe both the gps and rangefinder malfunction at the same time, usually they agree within just a yard or 2 to landmarks on the course. Of course they can have a greater differential on pins as the rangefinder is shooting the exact pin location and the gps is marking front, middle and back of the green.
It is rare that I play without the rangefinder, it is just a comfort thing on my home course and a necessity on an away course.

I think the game is so much more fun knowing the exact # from the rangefinder and having the confidence that I am pulling the correct club out of the bag. I would not enjoy playing as much with out the rangefinder. Well worth the $ in my opinion.

I've used the gps carts before, very nice feature. I am plenty happy pacing it off though. The yardage is just one part of a shot, so I don't feel like I have to have one. Even if I know the exact yardage it doesn't guarantee anything. Sometimes the eye sees the shot better is all I'm saying with this.

No guessing here...I would much rather trust technology. If that is not available, I will find a yardage marker somehow and walk it off.

I did it for about 30-35 years without devices. Most of that time without sprinkler heads, most courses had a 150 yard pole or something to mark 150. It is just a lot easier and faster to use the devices. After you play a course enough, the yardages are easy but when on the road use the tools.

Alot of the courses I play have markings at 200, 150 and 100 yards from the green. Additionally, some add distances to green on sprinkler heads along the fairway. Might not have exact distance but I have a fairly good idea what club to hit.

I'm in the same boat. I try and use my eye first then verify with the sprinkler heads. I've been way off a few times but I'm pretty trusting of the yardages provided. I don't have a laser/gps.

I have a GolfLogix and don't use it near like I used to. When I started golfing I could not judge distances for the life of me. All courses I play have fairway stakes with 100, 150, 200, and 250 yard markers. I still could not get an idea when not right around a stake. I used it for every shot. The more I used it, the better I got at judging distances. I don't really use it that much now. I actually turned it on today and looked at it three times over 18 holes. All three times were used to measure massive drives I hit. I guess what I am trying to say is that it helped me get to the point where I can eye a distance and go by feel.

my depth perception is terrible so eyeing yardages is a no no for me.

Mines not to good either if I'm by a yardage marker I will go off of it. If I'm in-between markers I will use my gps.

I have no gps, I feel i've become pretty ok at figuring out what club to hit sans gps, but I would prefer to have a gps; as others have said it just takes the guess work out of it. you can clear your head, know what club/yardage to hit and not worry about it. Not a whole lot is worse on a golf course than hitting a great shot and being a club short or a club long

I played for about 25 years pacing the distance from 100, 150 and 200 yard markers. This year I have played with many people at my new club who use rangefinders. I read all the info I could find on THP about GPS vs rangefinders and had decided on purchasing a rangefinder. Then I read JB's review of the Bushnell hybrid and my wife bought me one for Fathers day. I must admit I love having both. The rangefinder is great for many things but the GPS also has benefits. I also see the price has come down to 391 including shipping on some internet sites so it is getting in line with some rangefinders without the gps. Go hybrid!

I played for about 25 years pacing the distance from 100, 150 and 200 yard markers. This year I have played with many people at my new club who use rangefinders. I read all the info I could find on THP about GPS vs rangefinders and had decided on purchasing a rangefinder. Then I read JB's review of the Bushnell hybrid and my wife bought me one for Fathers day. I must admit I love having both. The rangefinder is great for many things but the GPS also has benefits. I also see the price has come down to 391 including shipping on some internet sites so it is getting in line with some rangefinders without the gps. Go hybrid!

Man! What a great wife!
I am on my third Bushnell and when this one wears out, it is the combination unit for me. I use the laser mostly but GPS comes in handy as well. I have a Garmin G5 Approach that really comes in handy when playing unfamiliar courses.

Have used my IPhone/Golfshot for over a year. Yesterday was the first time i didn't use it the whole round. I did really well without it. On a new course i wouldn't want to be without it.

Before I got my GPS I did this all of the time...But I find my GPS works best for my clubs 7-GW. The scoring irons are really the clubs I need it for, I can eyeball further shots much easier than closer shots.

I'm in the same boat. I try and use my eye first then verify with the sprinkler heads. I've been way off a few times but I'm pretty trusting of the yardages provided. I don't have a laser/gps.

I tend to be with these quotes. Although, I have never used a laser/gps device or played with anyone that has one. The course I play all the time has the yardages in the fairways, but most second shots are uphill, so you never get a "true" number to begin with IMO. I would like to play with someone that has one, but I don't think I could get myself to spend the money.

I played yesterday and my GPS battery died on the back nine, I felt lost. I was able to get around the course, but it just didn't feel the same as having a number and knowing which club to pull.

I played yesterday and my GPS battery died on the back nine, I felt lost. I was able to get around the course, but it just didn't feel the same as having a number and knowing which club to pull.

This is one feature I like about the GolfLogix. Uses AA batteries. I keep a spare in my golf bag.

My GPS froze up on me before and I did feel lost. I have a Bushnell that I use most times when I need yardage and it has not failed me.

This is my first full year with a GPS and I don't know how I lived without it. Love the damn thing. I find it more useful on layup shots on Par 5's. Always used to judge those shots with my eye and half the time I would end up in the bunker or rough. These days I take the perfect club and I find I put a better swing on the ball because I'm not nervous.

With a point of reference, 100, 150, or 200 yard marker within sight, I'm pretty good. Regardless of angle, even if off the fairway. But without any reference, I can be off by a club, two at times. Not something I'm willing to risk given the rules and technology available.

Back