Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Were they the same shafts but in a stiff flex? I have to think the characteristics of each different shaft company cause different shot shaping automatically, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case for you that the shaft change has generated the draw. Were you fitted for the regulars?

Yes both were/are True Temper Dynamic Gold

I was fitted into the Regulars with the Nike's but also +0.5 upright too

I know torque and all that jazz are defined loosely between each company, but there is a certain characteristic (can't think of it) of a shaft that helps to shut the face on the downswing.. I wonder if the shafts in the nike's are leaving it slightly open, generating some left to right sidespin?

You are the one using PX graphites right?

Yuppers.

Yes both were/are True Temper Dynamic Gold

I was fitted into the Regulars with the Nike's but also +0.5 upright too

Right on.. Do you think that upright bend made a difference? I think it's always good to check your divots to make sure you're coming in square eh? I sometimes struggle with that myself.

I was playing the Di11's with Uniflex steel. Had a very pronounced draw with those irons. It was literally overnight that I developed this fade and it goes into all clubs(except Mashie) and the only change that I've made is these irons.

How much fade are we talking? Playable fade or you should go see a pro for a checkup fade?

Dan, I had the same thought about the torque perhaps leaving the face a bit open but if it's happening with all this clubs now that can't be it. I still think the swing plane is changing from shot to shot a bit from those video's but I don't exactly have a practiced eye at these things.

On a more on point track: I've booked 4 rounds for the 3 day weekend so these puppies are going to get a work out. One of them is a fairly short course which I'm playing on purpose so I can pull all the woods out and play the round mostly with my irons like you guys did earlier. My theory is that I'm going to end up using the cavities and splits a lot which is really what needs the practice.

How much fade are we talking? Playable fade or you should go see a pro for a checkup fade?

Dan, I had the same thought about the torque perhaps leaving the face a bit open but if it's happening with all this clubs now that can't be it. I still think the swing plane is changing from shot to shot a bit from those video's but I don't exactly have a practiced eye at these things.

On a more on point track: I've booked 4 rounds for the 3 day weekend so these puppies are going to get a work out. One of them is a fairly short course which I'm playing on purpose so I can pull all the woods out and play the round mostly with my irons like you guys did earlier. My theory is that I'm going to end up using the cavities and splits a lot which is really what needs the practice.

Nope. Very happy with the fade actually. Just thought it was interesting that I immediately picked it up with these irons. Wish I didn't have it with the driver though. Going to try and get to the range before the FF draft and work on the PC's

Right on.. Do you think that upright bend made a difference? I think it's always good to check your divots to make sure you're coming in square eh? I sometimes struggle with that myself.

Don't really think the +.5 has much of an effect, if I was guessing I would say it is the shaft change that is aiding the draw

Nope. Very happy with the fade actually. Just thought it was interesting that I immediately picked it up with these irons. Wish I didn't have it with the driver though. Going to try and get to the range before the FF draft and work on the PC's

I'm thinking maybe less offset in the Nikes may have an effect? It's certainly not a bad shot shape to have! Starting to sound like these babies like to work slightly, nobody is talking about hitting them straight! :D

Don't really think the +.5 has much of an effect, if I was guessing I would say it is the shaft change that is aiding the draw

I was thinking this up until last week. Mine are +1 upright, and I'd been struggling with a draw turning into a pull. I set the Pro Combos up against 3 other irons, and hit the same shot shape with those! Tweaked my swing slightly, started hitting the expected small draw with the Nikes.

I'm thinking maybe less offset in the Nikes may have an effect? It's certainly not a bad shot shape to have! Starting to sound like these babies like to work slightly, nobody is talking about hitting them straight! :D

It is a very slight fade to be honest. It's a great shot shape with the blades as I find it hops and stops quicker. I was thinking the less offset might come into play. It's interesting. I'm going to start paying attention a little more to ball reaction off the face. I don't think I play that many shots laser straight with these now that you mention it.

Inspired by previous reviews, thought I'd post up some pics of the wear on the faces of my irons. This is coming off a range session, without cleaning the clubs more than a wipe with a dry towel. Thought this would give the truest indication of how they handle the wear! Pics aren't the highest resolution, but I hope they give you some idea.

First - the blades - took PW and 8 iron - Very impressed by how hard wearing they are considering how soft the metal is.

PW
pwwear.jpg

8i
8ironwear-1.jpg

On to the splits - 6 iron. As you can see, I'm hitting out of the heel quite a bit here!
6ironwear-1.jpg

And finally, the 4 iron. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on how well these irons wear, as they seem to be holding up rather well for me so far!
4ironwear.jpg

Paulo I am really impressed with how these are wearing. I've hit a ton of balls so far with them and they have held up just as well as any other iron I've ever played. I'm also noticing more wear toward the heel of my irons.

Nice wear pics Paulo!

Paulo I am really impressed with how these are wearing. I've hit a ton of balls so far with them and they have held up just as well as any other iron I've ever played. I'm also noticing more wear toward the heel of my irons.

I agree buddy. The combination of cleaning after each shot and iron covers basically still has mine looking brand new (as you could tell from pics the other day).

Had another great range session and have video transferring over! More updates up shortly.

Mine still look nice and shiny bar a few bag clatter marks. They look pretty much like yours Paulo at the minute

My intent when heading to the range today was to do a short game example of what many of the testers throughout this have described as "hot faced" wedges/blades. Basically, I think most of us saw quickly how quickly the ball jumped off of the face on short pitches around the greens when using the blades. I was going to compare it to a TM 2.0 Burner PW but once I was setting up I realized there was no way I could really show it without Iron Byron or something at my side.

So, instead, I just decided to do a short video of me chipping with the PW around the green. At the beginning of the testing I mentioned how surprised I was that the PW did not pop up much when used around the greens. It rather, in my opinion, performed with the trajectory of the 8 or 9 iron from my previous set. For me, using the PW provides more of a low trajectory pitch and then a good bit of run out. Unless I was hitting into an uphill slope I could not imagine trying to carry the PW anywhere near the hole and expect it to check up.

With that said, here is the video from that session tonight. My apologies for the wind and airplane noise as I did not realize how bad it was until I watched the content on my home computer.

A lot of wedge play tonight kept the VR Pro irons out of my hands for the better half of my 9 holes, but I did have some very solid shots with them when they were used.

- A punched PW through some wind that stopped about 10 feet past the hole and spun back a good 3 feet.
- 7 iron from 160 directly into wind, which came up woefully short because I was trying to not draw the ball and fell back on it a bit.. Really just a poor swing.
- PW from about 130 in the rough. Unfortunately the rough grabbed the club pretty good or a more or less punched shot that bounced up onto the fringe
- 8 iron from 155 to a front pin location that really only allows for about 15 feet from the hole in any direction. Slight draw thanks to the ball being above my feet but landed pin high, about 12 feet left of the hole, bit on the landing and pulled back a foot or so.. My eagle attempt was just short, but the approach could not have been much better.

On the range I was quick to warm up, hitting only a 7 iron and driver. I am finding that if I clear my hips more or less Rory style (or at least that attempt) I can get a pure, straight flight out of these irons with great launch. Obviously it's something I am going to have to take quite a bit of time to really dissect, but I think it was a small albeit solid step in the right direction.

Nice vid Mcook! It seems that the Nike PW works great for chipping from just off the green. I used to do all my chipping with my 50* wedge, maybe I missed it, but does the pro combo set include a gap wedge?

Sorry I was not hanging out in here tonight. FF draft was brutal.

Nice vid Mcook! It seems that the Nike PW works great for chipping from just off the green. I used to do all my chipping with my 50* wedge, maybe I missed it, but does the pro combo set include a gap wedge?

No it does not and is not available actually. This is one recommendation I had when the testing began, was that 4-GW be an option instead of having to do 3-PW and a VR PRO wedge. I get it, the wedge allows for more bounce options and such. I just loved my GW from my previous set and wish it were an option.

I played 18 yesterday and had one of the best ball striking days of the summer. If I could putt, I would have broken par. I hit 11/14 FWs and 14/18 GIR!! Not one birdie. Very frustrating. I had two three putts and a double bogey, shot 78 (39,39, +6). Easily the most GIR I've hit and it's been awhile since I've gone 18 without a single birdie. Just couldn't putt. Onto the irons.

Pocket cavity - I only had one shot with the 4 iron and hit it pretty well. Had a nice mid ball flight with a slight fade. Once again, I played without the 3i, but it will be getting some range time this weekend to see if I can work out my issues with it and get it back in the bag.

Split cavity - these performed well. I was hitting everything with a very small fade and still getting great distance and check up. On a par 3, I actually spun back a 6i. I could not believe it. More on spin later.

Blades - these were the clubs I had in my hands for most of the round. I was hitting them great, hitting 14/18 GIR. I was taking a nice divot and seeing a mid-high ball flight with a very very small fade. The ball was one hop and stopping greatly.

All in all I walk away very happy with the irons this round. They really shined and this gives me confidence going forward. Now I want to talk to about a couple other things.

Spin - before the test, I was a little worried about the amount of spin the X3X grooves would put on the ball. I was worried I would get too much roll out which could cause some problems, especially with the scoring irons. The worries are gone, these things spin the ball greatly. I am consistently getting a one hop and stop on most of my approach shots. I am loving this and find it much more predictable than spinning the ball back. I have spun a few shots back, but not many and nothing like my previous set. These days, I can typically find my ball mark within a few feet of my ball.

Grips - initially I was a little weary about these stock grips and figured I would "deal" with them throughout the testing and replace them after. I was wrong and am enjoying these grips very much. I haven't played in any extreme weather, but these have performed, and held up, greatly. I played in a slight drizzle the other day and had no issues with the grips. I have no intentions of replacing these grips at the end of the testing.

Wear - my clubs are wearing great. I do see some wear on the faces, especially in the blades, but nothing more than normal and it's not bad. Also, I do have some club chatter but again it is not bad, and it is to be expected with forged clubs. I will try to get some good pics of the wear this weekend.

As always, any questions, recommendations, whatever, let me know. Thank you.

Jeff - solid review and I liked reading another tester having the EXACT same findings as me regarding spin off of these clubs. I have never had clubs from 3-7 irons that check up as well on the greens as these do. Love being able to play to a number, etc and not have to worry about 10 or 15 feet of runout.

Tappin' from my iPad!

At the beginning of the testing I mentioned how surprised I was that the PW did not pop up much when used around the greens. It rather, in my opinion, performed with the trajectory of the 8 or 9 iron from my previous set. For me, using the PW provides more of a low trajectory pitch and then a good bit of run out. Unless I was hitting into an uphill slope I could not imagine trying to carry the PW anywhere near the hole and expect it to check up.

First of all, nice video again Michael. Really enjoying your reviews.

Thought I'd add my thoughts to yours on the PW. I've come from a set of blades with typically lower-launching shafts to these and for me, the launch of the PW is just right for what I'd expect from a blade. It is a bit lower than the GI clubs I've hit, but not any lower than my Wilson or Mizuno irons. If anything, a full shot climbs a lot higher for me.

I've actually found myself misjudging a few of the shorter pitches around the green due to them checking up quicker than I experienced with the Wilson fg59s.

I love how we're all getting different experiences from these irons, as well as seeing a lot of common traits. :D

Spin - before the test, I was a little worried about the amount of spin the X3X grooves would put on the ball. I was worried I would get too much roll out which could cause some problems, especially with the scoring irons. The worries are gone, these things spin the ball greatly. I am consistently getting a one hop and stop on most of my approach shots. I am loving this and find it much more predictable than spinning the ball back. I have spun a few shots back, but not many and nothing like my previous set. These days, I can typically find my ball mark within a few feet of my ball.

Nice review Jeff!

I agree with you on the spin thing. I wouldn't say that these irons spin the ball like crazy, but they have enough stopping power to encourage a very controlled shot to an exact yardage, once they're dialled in. This should inspire confidence!

Mcook that was a really nice video dude. If the plane & wind were not there it would have been fantastic. I really liked how you talked us through as you were doing it. I feel like I am also seeing a little more runout on my chips with the PW and I have not come to grips with my landing spots as of yet.

Loving all the videos posted, may have to do one myself sometime.

I am struggling with my irons at the moment, hitting everyone fat. Going to have to experiment with the ball position, I think I have it a little too far forward in the stance.

Loving all the videos posted, may have to do one myself sometime.

I am struggling with my irons at the moment, hitting everyone fat. Going to have to experiment with the ball position, I think I have it a little too far forward in the stance.

Thanks Chunky - it is right by DFW airport (like less than a mile away) hence all the air traffic.

Mike: ball position was a must change for me with these irons. I was hitting almost everything fat initially but moving ball position between center and rear foot has worked wonders for me on the scoring irons. 5-7 is played at middle and 3-4 just a tad forward of center. Let us know if moving it back helps!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Jeff great stuff dude. Your comments on spin match what I am seeing as well. I've had a 4I actually pull back a little on one shot. Mainly what I am seeing though is a hop and stop with most of my irons and an occasional bring er back. Maybe I didn't understand something. Did you think that the X3X grooves were going to spin too much or not enough?

Back