Long irons - Hitting behind the ball

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
Strangely over the past few weeks, I have started hitting way behind the ball with my long irons. It's mostly prevelent off the tee box. Up until the past few weeks, my contact with the long irons was nice and crisp so I have no idea what could have changed. I tried moving the ball position back in my stance...but that just resulted in ugly pushes.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

That happens to me occasionally. Your dropping your right shoulder excessively. Which drops the bottom of your swing. Keep your shoulders level throughout and make your divot infront of the ball.

DSX

That happens to me occasionally. Your dropping your right shoulder excessively. Which drops the bottom of your swing. Keep your shoulders level throughout and make your divot infront of the ball.

DSX

This is the Ask the Pro section. Please refrain from posting until the GolfTec pro has posted.

joshzilla - The first place to start would be to make sure you try to hit the ground in the right spot relative to the ball. For those that might have seen previous quesitons that I have answered similar to this one I will always point them to the easiest drill to work on your issues. The Business Card Drill. The goal of the drill is to get you to think about or visualize your club hitting the ground just in front of the ball. Take a business card or anything that will direct your focus and place this on the target line just in front of the ball. This is where I want you to look and focus...not the ball. When you come through, try to hit that spot. Give this a try first and open the thread back up if it doesn't help. If you have a hard time still hitting that spot then are some other things going on that would need to be addressed but try this first.

Thanks,
Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back