Can a Driver be "Low Spinning" and at the same time be "Very Forgiving"?

No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
Can a Driver be "Low Spinning" and at the same time be "Very Forgiving"?

If so or if not could you please expand on your answer and not just a yes or no. Thanks!

From what i have see yes it can, especially with a low spinning shaft

Of course. Forgiveness happens in different areas around the club face and a good example of this is the Bridgestone J38 driver.

I would think that yes it can, spin would magnify a slice for example, so the opposite would make it more forgiving right? Kind of like how golf balls that are low spin are great for slicers....

Razr Hawk Tour is a very good example too.

Yes! ie the Heavy Driver!

Of course. Forgiveness happens in different areas around the club face and a good example of this is the Bridgestone J38 driver.

I wouldn't consider the J38 "Very Forgiving"

Usually to improve MOI the center gravity must be lowered and moved back. Well doing that should add spin.

Usually to improve MOI the center gravity must be lowered and moved back. Well doing that should add spin.

Backspin, yes, but not necessarily side spin, which causes slicing.

I would think that yes it can, spin would magnify a slice for example, so the opposite would make it more forgiving right? Kind of like how golf balls that are low spin are great for slicers....

It actually works the other way around in drivers Ripper. The more backspin a driver puts on the ball, the less force side spin exerts on the ball, the straighter it goes. It's one of the reasons why the Super Tri is so forgiving as it puts a lot of backspin on the ball which helps a tone with the side spin for slicers and hookers.

It actually works the other way around in drivers Ripper. The more backspin a driver puts on the ball, the less force side spin exerts on the ball, the straighter it goes. It's one of the reasons why the Super Tri is so forgiving as it puts a lot of backspin on the ball which helps a tone with the side spin for slicers and hookers.

Cool, thanks Super Tuna, thats good to know.

+1 Super Tuna

Low spinning driver is less forgiving side spin wise. In the same time the mishit forgiveness might still be there but it has nothing to do with the spin rate. (IMHO)

I think backspin helps to straighten out golf shots for sure.

That's why I play a 10.5 driver. Ive debated a 12 degree in the heavy.

yep, that's right. That is why it is much more difficult to severely slice PW or 56 wedge shot, but so easy to do with the driver. It is all about spin giving stability on the spin plane

Our launch monitor testing shows otherwise. Toe, Heel and balls high on the club face went straight and lost minimal distance. If that is not forgiving I am not sure what is.

There must me something wrong with my super tri! I think it went to boot camp the way he's been acting.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

hmm, maybe thats what I need to buy next!

Our launch monitor testing shows otherwise. Toe, Heel and balls high on the club face went straight and lost minimal distance. If that is not forgiving I am not sure what is.

I guess nothing is more accurate than a launch monitor, but when playing several rounds with it I found that i missed more fairways than usual. And my misses arent as long as with other drivers (Ft-9, Ft-iz, burner superfast, burner 2.0) Just my thoughts tho.

I guess nothing is more accurate than a launch monitor, but when playing several rounds with it I found that i missed more fairways than usual. And my misses arent as long as with other drivers (Ft-9, Ft-iz, burner superfast, burner 2.0) Just my thoughts tho.

That could really be nothing more than properly fitting or a club not fitting you right.
I could say the same thing about some of hte most forgiving clubs ever created, because they did not fit my game well, however they were still incredibly forgiving pieces of equipment.

Just a curiosity, how would a driver like the new Taylor made's create more back spin with less central grooving on the face. Wouldn't the less a ball spins overall reduce side spin while allowing the balls aerodynamic properties to create the natural spin effect designed to provide the flight characteristics the manufacturer advertises?

DSX

Driver grooves are there for aesthetics only.

Driver grooves are there for aesthetics only.

I always wondered that, same for woods and hybrids? As not many grooves are on their faces

MattyCaulk Approved!

I would have thought that spin refers to the vertical spin axis, from 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock i.e. back spin
the more back spin the higher it tends to launch and possibly balloon?

forgiveness to me suggests larger sweetspot on the club face, and they have made an effort to reduce side spinning by varying the convex face of the club

as far as I can tell, balls can only spin on one axis at a time, so if it only has a back spin component it will go straight
if you cut across it a little, the vertical axis may change to 1 o'clock - 7 o'clock, so there is a slight turning of the ball to the right, fade
if you push it a little, the vertical axis may change to 11 o'clock - 5 o'clock, so there is a slight turning to the left, draw

I would have thought that spin refers to the vertical spin axis, from 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock i.e. back spin
the more back spin the higher it tends to launch and possibly balloon?

Yes, this is a possible side effect of having too much spin for your swing.

forgiveness to me suggests larger sweetspot on the club face, and they have made an effort to reduce side spinning by varying the convex face of the club

Increasing the sweet spot increases ball speed. Depending on the design that might come with an increase or decrease in spin but really we're looking for the highest ball speed possible as far away from the pin sized sweet spot as possible to maximize distance when the strike isn't perfect.

as far as I can tell, balls can only spin on one axis at a time, so if it only has a back spin component it will go straight
if you cut across it a little, the vertical axis may change to 1 o'clock - 7 o'clock, so there is a slight turning of the ball to the right, fade
if you push it a little, the vertical axis may change to 11 o'clock - 5 o'clock, so there is a slight turning to the left, draw

Absolutely the ball only spins on one axis. However keep in mind that ball speed changes the effect spin has on it. If you're someone that hits a drive at say 100mph with 3500RPM of back spin and 400rpm of left to right spin that ball will take off like a cannon straight for 75% of the distance and then start to bend a lot. When the ball slows down it's is still turning backwards but back upon the altered axis and that axis no longer has the speed to stay upright through the air pressure and starts bending to the right about 2/3 to 3/4's of the way through the shot (sooner if the side spin put on the ball is higher).

Thus:
The more back spin you put on the ball the less you need ball speed to keep it in the air
The faster the ball will drop from the sky (through ballooning)
The faster the ball drops from the sky the less time the ball has to go off in another direction due to side spin
Which gives you in theory, straighter drives that are more playable. They won't be longer and won't be maxing out your potential distance but they will be safer.

thats sounds right for me, i have just changed to the supertri and i have noticed my drives are much straighter and longer. The ball now goes where i aim it. At my home course there is one hole i struggle with as there is a ditch which i cant carry and usually my ball lands and rolls into the ditch, however there is a path that goes accross it and yesterday i aimed for the path a sure enough my ball hit the path and carried another 30 yards into the fairway and for the first time i managed to reach the green in 2. The bad news i tried it again to see if i could replicate the shot and no i did not it went straight in the ditch LOL.

Back