Took my wife to the range today and....

siagrove

Hooked
Reaction score
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Handicap
she putts like a demon. I couldn't believe my eyes. Its the ugliest 'stroke' I've ever seen, its more like a low swing. Arms and legs and hips and head everywhere. But it goes in the hole.

She was making 8/10 from 3ft, 5/10 from 6ft, downhill breakers from 10ft and lagging long ones inside 3ft.

I asked her how she was managing to do so well and she said, "its rubbish, I'm not getting enough of them in the hole!"

I then asked her what she was thinking. Her response was so cruel, "line it up, hit it and it goes in."

I had to explain to her that putting can be the worst nightmare for many a golfer and she didn't get it. Told her that people see shrinks about their putting, and that one of my mates throws his putter at least five times a round. Poor woman could not understand why the 'easiest part of golf' according to her could be so terrifying for some.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Well they say putting is an art. She must be an artist!

haha it's not how but how many :D. Obviously for her it's just a natural tendency, that takes her brain out of the equation and she puts a smooth roll on it.

I then asked her what she was thinking. Her response was so cruel, "line it up, hit it and it goes in."

That's awesome! I've known a couple woman who couldn't hit a golf ball to save their lives, but when it came to putting they could just putt. I think for them it was along the same lines, take a look and hit it. Don't think about it.

Kids do the same thing, they have never missed a pressure put so they have no demons. They just look and fire. All my kids (5) very rarely missed a 3 footer when they were little. They just walked up and it never entered their mind that they could miss.

Kids do the same thing, they have never missed a pressure put so they have no demons. They just look and fire. All my kids (5) very rarely missed a 3 footer when they were little. They just walked up and it never entered their mind that they could miss.
I think that's it right there...no pressure, so you just go with the first instinct and hit it. :D

Nanananana it's in the hole!!!!!just be the ball danny......

Good thread! Putting like a kid....in other words, no fear. Fear of what? Missing the putt. It's just fun. If it doesn't go in, hit it again until it does, then go to the next hole. No fear!

This is awesome to read. My mom, who is in her early 60s, just started to play golf earlier this year. She did it the right way, took some lessons and started with putting first, then moved to short game, then moved to the full swing. She thinks that putting is pretty easy, she just aims where she wants the ball to go and puts a good stroke on it. A few weeks ago, she played her first full 9 holes and didn't 3 putt once.

Yesterday, my dad calls me and tells me that my mom was about 40 yards away from the green after 2 shots on a par 4. She then proceeds to chip the ball and it hits the flagstick and drops 2 feet away from the hole! My mom thought it wasn't a big deal at all. Meanwhile, my dad and I have been playing for years and I can't remember with either of us have hit the flagstick with a shot!

Siagrove, your story does bring to mind what other posters are saying: there's definitely a benefit to having a positive attitude in putting and thinking that everything should go in, instead of having negative thoughts about how we're going to miss every putt.

I've heard if people like this, and I judt don't get it. I guess if you think about it, putting is simple enough, it's just hard to oull off for some odd reason. But your wife wins. I'm jealous.

I played yesterday with about an 80 year old man that could just putt. HIs stance was wide open and he jabbed at the ball with big outside to in path. He took about 1.3 seconds to line up, set up and then whack it. He out putted me. Only missing one inside 5 ft and his distance control was great. He definitely didn't have time to over think it and I think that was his secret. He'd be a gamer if he could hit the ball more than 70 yards. It was fun playing with him and maybe I'll try thinking less on the greens.

Good thread! Putting like a kid....in other words, no fear. Fear of what? Missing the putt. It's just fun. If it doesn't go in, hit it again until it does, then go to the next hole. No fear!

Most of us rarely miss from 3 feet when we practice but when we putt on the course we look at it from every angle and read all kinds of danger into it, we do need to just putt like a kid on the course as we do when we practice. We really make the putt much more difficult that it is by putting so much importance on it.

Such a mental game. All that pressure and tension most of us put on ourselfs from putts to drives. have to remember this one next time out.

Back