My St. Andrews Trip Last Summer

Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
I was looking at some photos and videos from last July, and I thought there might be someone out there who would get a kick out of some of them. I finished a masters degree last year at Oxford and spent a couple weeks traveling around with my family before coming home. We hit London, St. Andrews, and Paris. We played three times at St. Andrews. It was the week before the Open, so the Old Course was closed. We played Eden once and the New Course twice. I hadn't touched a club in over a year and there was no opportunity to hit balls (vendors all over the driving range), so I was pretty rusty and shot in the 90s twice and in the 80s once. It was also really windy. While I'm trying to figure out how to post some pictures so they're not full-size, here's a video my brother took:

[video=youtube;-zcaWoy_GNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcaWoy_GNA[/video]

holy cow, I can't say that ive hit from my knees before

Dan - that's a crazy video; thanks for sharing man! Best line - "Is there another bunker over there"? LOL

Oh my, thank you for sharing!!

Some day! St. Andrews is on my bucket list!

Dan - that's a crazy video; thanks for sharing man! Best line - "Is there another bunker over there"? LOL

Yeah, that's my brother's characteristic sarcastic comment. There wasn't another bunker over there, but there was a little depression.

Oh my, thank you for sharing!!

Some day! St. Andrews is on my bucket list!

It was a blast. I have a friend doing a PhD at St. Andrews, so we stayed with him and his family. It's an amazing town and a fun course.

It was a blast. I have a friend doing a PhD at St. Andrews, so we stayed with him and his family. It's an amazing town and a fun course.

That's so awesome. I don;t think I'd necessarily even have to play, I just want to GO. Its on the early list when my wife gets done with medical school.

That's great. It's on my bucket list to go there someday.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

That's so awesome. I don;t think I'd necessarily even have to play, I just want to GO. Its on the early list when my wife gets done with medical school.

I'm applying to PhD programs in December/January. St. Andrews is on the list, considering the city's residents can play unlimited golf on all of St. Andrews' courses for around $300 a year.

That's crazy! All core muscles there

Neat video.I've hit on one knee before, but never two!

That's a cool video! Excellent experience.

Unlike the British, I found the Scots very engaging. When we went up to St. Andrews, we were having dinner and the four people at a table close by just struck up a conversation and were delightful. Speaking of our playing experience at St. Andrews, we were attending a conference in London when Joe Hargrove came up with the idea: "Let's rent a car and go up to St. Andrews for a round of golf!" In discussing the idea with others we were discouraged at every turn. "You cannot just go without a reservation". You must have your course back home certify your handicap and then placed on a list for the day you want to play and only a small number are selected. Three of us desider to take the chance. We drove and even got a ticket---long journey! When we got there, my friend (Joe Hargrove) went up to the starter and gave him a $50 tip and told him that three of us wanted to play. His response was: "You are next on the tee!!!" We paid the greens fees ($150 at the time), got caddies and had a lovely day playing historic St. Andrews. This was in July and because of white nights, we could have played all night. While we were shocked that St. Andrew was just a local public course comparable to our public city courses in the United Atates, the Scotts make no great fuss over it. We appreicated the history and substance. We tried to tour the club house but was not able to get permission---members only. We then had a lovely dinner and spent the night at a local hotel before heading back the next day.

Unlike the British, I found the Scots very engaging. When we went up to St. Andrews, we were having dinner and the four people at a table close by just struck up a conversation and were delightful. Speaking of our playing experience at St. Andrews, we were attending a conference in London when Joe Hargrove came up with the idea: "Let's rent a car and go up to St. Andrews for a round of golf!" In discussing the idea with others we were discouraged at every turn. "You cannot just go without a reservation". You must have your course back home certify your handicap and then placed on a list for the day you want to play and only a small number are selected. Three of us desider to take the chance. We drove and even got a ticket---long journey! When we got there, my friend (Joe Hargrove) went up to the starter and gave him a $50 tip and told him that three of us wanted to play. His response was: "You are next on the tee!!!" We paid the greens fees ($150 at the time), got caddies and had a lovely day playing historic St. Andrews. This was in July and because of white nights, we could have played all night. While we were shocked that St. Andrew was just a local public course comparable to our public city courses in the United Atates, the Scotts make no great fuss over it. We appreicated the history and substance. We tried to tour the club house but was not able to get permission---members only. We then had a lovely dinner and spent the night at a local hotel before heading back the next day.

Our experience was somewhat similar, although we made the plans well in advance. They have a certain number of tee times they draw for each day, they have a certain number they leave open just for residents, and they have a certain number for reservations. In the pub after our second round (we had only scheduled two), we met an American doing his bachelor's at St. Andrews who invited us to play with him the next day. They just go say they want to play and they get 'em out. We loved that the course is public property. People were walking their dogs following Justin Rose during a practice round. We arrived in the city at about 9:30 at night and my brothers and I went out at around 10:30 to check out the course. There were guys in yellow jackets around the course. We asked if we could just go check out the course and they said we were free to go anywhere, we just had to stay off the tees and greens, since the Open was being played a few days later.

as a junior we use to play the new course every year in what was called the triangle team match.the teams involved were callander(us),baberton which is in edinburgh and st andrews new course.haven't played it in years though.

Very nice! I would love to play St. Andrews and anywhere in Ireland. Sooner or later it will happen. Great video btw!

Great video bud. Believe me folks, you can get lies in the sand at St Andrews that require some very lateral thinking.

For those of you who are thinking of taking a trip to the fantastic country they call Scotland, you must NOT miss out on St Andrews. If looking at a summer visit and your handicap is 15 or better it is well worth looking at this http://www.standrews.org.uk/Tournaments/Eden-Tournament.aspx.

I played in the tournament, 2009 & 2010 and it is the best value gold on fantastic courses you will ever get. The cost this year was £120 and for that, even if you do not qualify for the matchplay stages, you are guaranteed 6 rounds of golf. On the Sunday prior to main comp you get a practice round on the New and Eden courses. On the Monday you play 18 holes stroke play on either the New or Eden then on the Tuesday you play on the one you didn't play on Monday.

The top 64 gross scores then contest for the Eden Trophy as matchplay. The next 32 nett scores contest the Eden Tankard as matchplay.

For those that do not qualify for matchplay you would have a day off on Wednesday, then there is a stableford 18 hole comp over the Jubilee Course. Now, I can say having played the Old, New & Eden that the Jubilee is by far the toughest of them all.

Friday then sees an 18 hole medal over the Strathtyrum Course.

It really is one hell of a good tournament. Oh and I forgot. Your entry fee includes some embroidered golf gear and a BBQ. 2009 we had a Sunderland long sleeve wind fleece that was being sold in the town golf shops for £70.

Unfortunately eventhough the comp is cheap, eating and drinking in St Andrews is not so I could not afford it this year. Hopefully good for 2012 as I will be 50 so that can be my pressie off the Mrs.

Great video bud. Believe me folks, you can get lies in the sand at St Andrews that require some very lateral thinking.

For those of you who are thinking of taking a trip to the fantastic country they call Scotland, you must NOT miss out on St Andrews. If looking at a summer visit and your handicap is 15 or better it is well worth looking at this http://www.standrews.org.uk/Tournaments/Eden-Tournament.aspx.

I played in the tournament, 2009 & 2010 and it is the best value gold on fantastic courses you will ever get. The cost this year was £120 and for that, even if you do not qualify for the matchplay stages, you are guaranteed 6 rounds of golf. On the Sunday prior to main comp you get a practice round on the New and Eden courses. On the Monday you play 18 holes stroke play on either the New or Eden then on the Tuesday you play on the one you didn't play on Monday.

The top 64 gross scores then contest for the Eden Trophy as matchplay. The next 32 nett scores contest the Eden Tankard as matchplay.

For those that do not qualify for matchplay you would have a day off on Wednesday, then there is a stableford 18 hole comp over the Jubilee Course. Now, I can say having played the Old, New & Eden that the Jubilee is by far the toughest of them all.

Friday then sees an 18 hole medal over the Strathtyrum Course.

It really is one hell of a good tournament. Oh and I forgot. Your entry fee includes some embroidered golf gear and a BBQ. 2009 we had a Sunderland long sleeve wind fleece that was being sold in the town golf shops for £70.

Unfortunately eventhough the comp is cheap, eating and drinking in St Andrews is not so I could not afford it this year. Hopefully good for 2012 as I will be 50 so that can be my pressie off the Mrs.

Sounds great! I liked Eden and the New Course. I've got to get out to the Old Course at some point, but several days of golf at St. Andrews is an experience of a lifetime no matter what.

This is awesome! Pretty good shot from the lie haha

There are a few places that are pretty reasonable, but the tourist factor will always drive prices up unfortunately. The Dolls House, behind the Trinity Church on South Street (ps folks I'm getting married there next year!!) is lovely, and always have a nice menu on at a good price.

I love St Andrews, visit regularly and it's always a nice place to be. Even when trying to sort out wedding plans!

Back