New irons - big loss in distance

BackspinBarry

Reaction score
Handicap
I have recently got a new set of callaway x forged irons (cb) to replace an exceedingly old set of cobra os irons.
I hit them very sweetly and am extremely happy with them. The down side is I have lost a lot of distance with my irons. I was very typical with my distances, 7 - 150 upto 3 around 200. However, my 7 iron is now around 130, 6 - 140, 5 - 145 and 4 just over 150.

As you can imagine this is having some impact on my rounds, has anyone come across this and how was it remedied?

Where are the ball marks on the club face?

I have recently got a new set of callaway x forged irons (cb) to replace an exceedingly old set of cobra os irons.
I hit them very sweetly and am extremely happy with them. The down side is I have lost a lot of distance with my irons. I was very typical with my distances, 7 - 150 upto 3 around 200. However, my 7 iron is now around 130, 6 - 140, 5 - 145 and 4 just over 150.

As you can imagine this is having some impact on my rounds, has anyone come across this and how was it remedied?

How do the lofts of each club of each set compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What shaft is in them? What is your typical ball flight?

Hey guys, strike marks are out of centre, i have reg dyn gold shafts on them and I am not sure how the lofts compare.

Also I have a high ball flight with hands forward at impact, i have a strong impact position....apparently.

Tough to say. I know I thought I was hitting the ball well when I first got the V2's, but the distances were a little shorter than I expected. Turned out to be hitting very slightly fat and a little high on the face.

They may be launching too high. What shafts did you have before?

Tough to say. I know I thought I was hitting the ball well when I first got the V2's, but the distances were a little shorter than I expected. Turned out to be hitting very slightly fat and a little high on the face.

This is what I thought, hitting it high on the face but I marked my ball to get a good idea of where I was striking the ball and wasn't high in the face.

I will be writing a review on the irons in a couple of weeks, they are very nice to play with and very workable, I might get re shafted to stiff but will give it some time first.

Yea, something is going on for sure. The drop of 30 yards with the 7 iron is one thing, but the 4 and 5 is really severe.

compare the lofts and shaft lengths for starters. The shaft will also impact the launch and spin which impacts distance. This is why fitting is so important.

One HUGE reason is the lofts of the clubs. Your current 7 iron is 35. Your old 7 iron is 32. So, your Callaway 7 iron is playing like your Cobra 8 iron. you can always have them bent to stronger lofts. That will affect bounce.

I think the others have alread covered it. Compare the lofts and if possible try to get on a LM and see whats going on. Could be the shafts, could be anything really.

Are they the same head shape?

Good call one-t. Stronger lofts on the Cobra's.

One HUGE reason is the lofts of the clubs. Your current 7 iron is 35. Your old 7 iron is 32. So, your Callaway 7 iron is playing like your Cobra 8 iron. you can always have them bent to stronger lofts. That will affect bounce.

+1...You beat me to the research buddy.

Thanks one t. The irons are much smaller and softer, really can't complain how I hit them the distance has been the only issue. I will get on a launch monitor and see what is going on. Thanks for all of your input.

I have to agree with a lot of people here and loft may have something to do with your loss in distance, but don't think it's everything. You're losing more than two clubs worth of distance in your irons now. Did you get your new irons fitted to you? I think another thing that may be causing your loss is the wrong shaft and depending how old the weight of the shaft as well. A lot of great feedback so far, let us know if you figure it out.

Are they the same head shape?

Its a completely different club. GE vs GI

Thanks one t. The irons are much smaller and softer, really can't complain how I hit them the distance has been the only issue. I will get on a launch monitor and see what is going on. Thanks for all of your input.

your welcome, good luck! I think the cheapest fix would be adding loft to the Callaways

Everything has been covered so far in here for you Barry. I would recommend have your lofts strengthened. 2 degrees shouldn't be a big deal.

Sent from my forged iPad

Everything has been covered so far in here for you Barry. I would recommend have your lofts strengthened. 2 degrees shouldn't be a big deal.

Sent from my forged iPad

Especially since they're forged!

i reckon the weather isnt helping much its pretty cold and the air is damp in the uk at the moment. Thats gotta lose you some yards

I switched to a forged iron last summer -- Exotics CNC Milled -- and I lost about a club distance, too. People told me blade-like irons don't hit as far as GIs.

Hey Barry - your old Cobra OS irons - did you have hump graphite shafts in them?

No they were reg steel

Back