Cleveland Releases New 588 Wedges

Ok, so after reading over the last page of comments and pictures, Im with Rusty on this one. This wedge looks a lot like Vokey and is very busy. Im not sure why they went that direction either. They had a nice clean look going on with the last few lines too. CG16:
stk_xx_large.jpg

Seems like they looked at what has been working for another OEM and did something very very similar.

Ok, so after reading over the last page of comments and pictures, Im with Rusty on this one. This wedge looks a lot like Vokey and is very busy. Im not sure why they went that direction either. They had a nice clean look going on with the last few lines too. CG16:
stk_xx_large.jpg

Seems like they looked at what has been working for another OEM and did something very very similar.

As opposed to this OEM?

cleveland-touraction-forged-588.jpg

To me it looks very much like an evolution of this wedge.

As opposed to this OEM?

cleveland-touraction-forged-588.jpg

To me it looks very much like an evolution of this wedge.

I guess it could be called an evolution. That sure is better then being called a copy. But doesnt the new 588 look much busier then the CG16? The CG16 is a great wedge that I really liked but those two look vastly different. In the end what matters most is how it performs and with custom options it brings another level to this wedge that I know many will enjoy.

i-mgHcMCZ-L.jpg

To me, the tour zip grooves thing looks like the Vokey Spin Milled logo. and the golden F thing looks like the Vokey wings. Same colour too. They wrote Cleveland where titleist writes titleist, and went with a similar paint scheme too. I know they were probably just trying to make a great wedge here, but it gets to a point where they must see the similarities and at least change it up a little. Do something different than the heavy hitters in the wedge game, at least on colour alone. The simplicity of the black and white 588 with just the CG logo on the back of the sole is what I was hoping for.

I guess it could be called an evolution. That sure is better then being called a copy. But doesnt the new 588 look much busier then the CG16? The CG16 is a great wedge that I really liked but those two look vastly different. In the end what matters most is how it performs and with custom options it brings another level to this wedge that I know many will enjoy.

Its not replacing the CG16 wedges.
Its a separate line of wedges. It should look different just as Jaws and X-Forged look different.
I think it looks quite similar to that Tour Action 588 posted above.
Apparently I am in the minority.

Im curious, who is the market leader when it comes to wedge sales? I figure its between Cleveland and Titleist even though I hardly ever see anyone gaming Vokeys.

i-mgHcMCZ-L.jpg

To me, the tour zip grooves thing looks like the Vokey Spin Milled logo. and the golden F thing looks like the Vokey wings. Same colour too. They wrote Cleveland where titleist writes titleist, and went with a similar paint scheme too. I know they were probably just trying to make a great wedge here, but it gets to a point where they must see the similarities and at least change it up a little. Do something different than the heavy hitters in the wedge game, at least on colour alone. The simplicity of the black and white 588 with just the CG logo on the back of the sole is what I was hoping for.

This is funny to me and I know its not meant to be.

Look at these two wedges.

1031_P_1303948217567.jpg

titleist_2009_vokey_spin_milled_oil_can_sand_wedge.jpg

I have gone back and read the CG15 thread, why did where the writing is, come up then? Or any of the other past wedges that they have come out with. Or heck, any other brand that has ever come out. Cleveland has always had their script or logo on that part of their wedges since Roger Cleveland was still there I believe. I would bet more than half the companies do. It was an idea that that Mr. Vincent and Clay Long came up with years ago (for another company) to show the company names more prominently on blade type of clubs.

I find the last 2 pages of this thread quite comical.

I completely agree with your point on the pics. This is what I see in my head when I see 588. And something that I was truly hoping for. I never once said they didnt look alike in the past, but I think they look alike more now than ever.

588wedge.jpeg

This is funny to me and I know its not meant to be.

I have gone back and read the CG15 thread, why did the where the writing is come up then? Or any of the other past wedges that they have come out with. Or heck, any other brand that has ever come out. Cleveland has always had their script or logo on that part of their wedges since Roger Cleveland was still there I believe. I would bet more than half the companies do. It was an idea that that Mr. Vincent and Clay Long came up with years ago to show the company names more prominently on blade type of clubs.

I find the last 2 pages of this thread quite comical.

Jeesh guys, whats the big deal just go hit them when they come out. If they suck then then they suck, but at least give them a chance. They might be awesome.

It's going to be fun taking them for a test drive. With everyone coming out with new wedges the deals are going to be nice. All the wedge junkies are going to get their fix.
:golf:

I am not getting into the Vokey argument, I will just say they are very nice looking, and I would love to try them.

I am not getting into the Vokey argument, I will just say they are very nice looking, and I would love to try them.

Well said Jacob. They look very similar and they are a little busy but I will judge them on performance. :clapp:

I think these will be in my bag as soon as they come out. I love the look of them, and I bet they perform great. Can't wait to swing one.

Well said Jacob. They look very similar and they are a little busy but I will judge them on performance. :clapp:

Exactly. That, and I know better than to get into an argument in which JB is on the opposing side. He tends to whup me in such confrontations.

Facts and logic whip you up, not me.

Facts and logic whip you up, not me.

Come now JB, we both know there is more to a good debate than facts and logic. Presentation is key. Wait, I said I wasn't going to debate today...

Another great looking set of wedges and if they are anything like the "old" 588's they may find a spot in my bag. Going to have some serious pondering to do come winter/spring when I replace my wedges. Yes, my first thought was that they look like Vokey's but then all the other pics were posted and they look similar to a lot of wedges.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do these have to come out??? That is freaking awesome. I cannot wait to see the black pearl!

+1 thats the first thing i tried to find on the release if they were coming in a black finish.

After reading this whole thread, I cannot choose sides on this wedge. I understand TCs frustration with the NEW 588 not looking like the original 588s. I myself would also have loved to see the NEW 588 have all the advances in technology packed into the club, but go back to the CG logo on the cavity and have the script Cleveland logo on the sole with the G, S, L. Put the Tour Zip Logo on the toe and the degrees and bounce on the heel. If this wedge did not have the Golden F thing then I think it would look much better and look much less like a vokey.

Although not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the club, I would game this immediately if it is the "epitome" of wedges like the org. 588s. I loved the 588s and had 2 of them when in high school. I play Vokeys right now so I could easily get over the "busy" look. I am in the market for new wedges and if these impress then I will be saving some $ to get them.

I also cannot wait until the mycustomwedge.com launches and I can explore all the custom goodness that these wedges will offer. I would love to get some custom colors or designs and feel like my wedges are truly "my" wedges.

Let the debate continue.... I just wanted to say I see both sides of it.

I have no problem with the wedge itself and I'm sure it's a stout performer. I had 588's in my bag for almost 5 years before moving on to CG14's. I think what I'm saying is getting completely lost. I am not attacking this wedge, merely saying that I am a bit disappointed that the NEW 588 looks more like a Vokey and not the original 588. When I think of relaunches, the design typically has some sort of throw back resemblance to the original. This one does not. I'm sure it's a great wedge, I just don't care for they way Cleveland decided to "decorate" it.

I have no problem with the wedge itself and I'm sure it's a stout performer. I had 588's in my bag for almost 5 years before moving on to CG14's. I think what I'm saying is getting completely lost. I am not attacking this wedge, merely saying that I am a bit disappointed that the NEW 588 looks more like a Vokey and not the original 588. When I think of relaunches, the design typically has some sort of throw back resemblance to the original. This one does not. I'm sure it's a great wedge, I just don't care for they way Cleveland decided to "decorate" it.

So when it comes to the "decoration" they kind of took the Cobra philosophy?

So when it comes to the "decoration" they kind of took the Cobra philosophy?

I wouldn't go that far. I just think lots of things are being misconstrued. I like Cleveland wedges, I loved the 588's, I was just a bit disappointed that the newly released ones didn't pay homage to the originals, that's all.

I wouldn't go that far. I just think lots of things are being misconstrued. I like Cleveland wedges, I loved the 588's, I was just a bit disappointed that the newly released ones didn't pay homage to the originals, that's all.

Oh ok. Understood ese.

Meh...if you want the originals get the originals. I get where you are coming from but who wants to play a wedge that isnt top of the line technology wise? That is like buying a 10 year old computer in my mind. Other then the stamping this wedge is almost the same design with a better material and the PGA $ making grooves.

Back