T.P. Mills Center Shafted "Huey" - Demo Thread

Hawk, what is the length of the putter they sent?

Hawk, what is the length of the putter they sent?

I don't actually know without measuring it, but it appears to be 34 or 35 inches to me.

I showed this off to my neighbor tonight and he was extremely jealous.

Jman, what do you know about the shaft? Is it just a black finish or is there something else going on?

I don't actually know without measuring it, but it appears to be 34 or 35 inches to me.

I showed this off to my neighbor tonight and he was extremely jealous.

Jman, what do you know about the shaft? Is it just a black finish or is there something else going on?

Should be 35", I'm almost positive.

As far as the shaft, the PVD is the same thing you see on putter finishes the likes of Betti's. VERY durable in my experience and unlike any other black putter shafts I've seen, used, or have (and thats WAY too many lol). It will show fingerprints, but the look really is just something else. I love it so much that its in all 3 of my Mills.

I love it as well. It's sort of smoky looking.

That grip is different to me as well. It seem smaller that what I'm used to. I like it.

OK unfortunately I am unable to get out to a course until Tuesday, but I have 3 and maybe even possibly 4 rounds scheduled before I have to send this on its way.

Anyhow, I've been practicing with it here at the office every day, plus yesterday I took it out to a practice green at my fav practice facility, and here are my thoughts....

The putter is very clean looking, very simple yet elegant. The black shaft is just awesome and really completes this putter, I really really like the look. The grip is small as hawk as said, its a bit odd at first, but once you get used to it, you kind of like it. However I really think a white grip with this black shaft and putter would just be the cats a$$.

I love the shape of the head, for me it just screams confidence. The single line is nice, and I really don't think you need anymore with the center shaft. Which is a bit odd cause my CS ghost spider has all these lines which I thought helped me align the putt better and I don't feel I need them with this one.

It has a very balanced feel to it, its not real heavy, but has enough weight to it so you can feel the clubhead. Its the first putter i have ever set on the ground and it just sits flat. By that I mean it doesn't twist or turn, like a heel shafted putter, it almost seems to align itself.

There is definitely an audible "click" as the other guys said, but I really like it, plus you can tell when you miss it a bit as well. The ball seems to just jump off the face, yet its very smooth and it gets rolling right away. It actually took me some getting used to as I have been using an odyssey for a long time and recently a Ghost Spider. At first I was blasting putts by the hole, but after awhile I was getting much better with distance control. Once I got used to it, if it wasn't in the hole it was within a foot.

This is only my second experience with a center shafted putter, my first being my ghost spider I purchased a few weeks ago. I think its definitely the way to go for me. Although I haven't actually made it to the course yet, I am already considering whether or not to return my ghost spider. This putter is that nice. I can't wait to get out on the course and see how I roll it.

I'll keep you updated.

Those are some good thoughts.

I agree that a white grip would look sweet against the PVD shaft. Interesting that you were hitting the ball long at first. Maybe that's related to why I was not hitting the ball short like normal.

OK unfortunately I am unable to get out to a course until Tuesday, but I have 3 and maybe even possibly 4 rounds scheduled before I have to send this on its way.

Anyhow, I've been practicing with it here at the office every day, plus yesterday I took it out to a practice green at my fav practice facility, and here are my thoughts....

The putter is very clean looking, very simple yet elegant. The black shaft is just awesome and really completes this putter, I really really like the look. The grip is small as hawk as said, its a bit odd at first, but once you get used to it, you kind of like it. However I really think a white grip with this black shaft and putter would just be the cats a$$.

I love the shape of the head, for me it just screams confidence. The single line is nice, and I really don't think you need anymore with the center shaft. Which is a bit odd cause my CS ghost spider has all these lines which I thought helped me align the putt better and I don't feel I need them with this one.

It has a very balanced feel to it, its not real heavy, but has enough weight to it so you can feel the clubhead. Its the first putter i have ever set on the ground and it just sits flat. By that I mean it doesn't twist or turn, like a heel shafted putter, it almost seems to align itself.

There is definitely an audible "click" as the other guys said, but I really like it, plus you can tell when you miss it a bit as well. The ball seems to just jump off the face, yet its very smooth and it gets rolling right away. It actually took me some getting used to as I have been using an odyssey for a long time and recently a Ghost Spider. At first I was blasting putts by the hole, but after awhile I was getting much better with distance control. Once I got used to it, if it wasn't in the hole it was within a foot.

This is only my second experience with a center shafted putter, my first being my ghost spider I purchased a few weeks ago. I think its definitely the way to go for me. Although I haven't actually made it to the course yet, I am already considering whether or not to return my ghost spider. This putter is that nice. I can't wait to get out on the course and see how I roll it.

I'll keep you updated.

Excellent stuff there jdtox.

*buys ticket to mexico*

Posted via Tapatalk

I am liking the looks of this putter, great reviews so far.

Played a round of 18 holes today with the Huey. Also, went to the practice green yesterday.

The practice green was a waste of time as I went somewhere that would be better suited as a putt-putt golf green. Huge undulations and they put the cups where you basically have to make impossible putts to sink anything. Kind of got away from a couple things that I had been working on as I got frustrated and generally don't have much else to say about that.

So, I took Huey out today with a bit of trepidation. The greens I was playing on were not fast, but they were really smooth. Ended up with 31 putts! That's majorly good for me. I hit more 6-12 footers today than I think I ever have. I actually felt like I was putting for the hole rather than the second putt.

Like I said in the previous post, the center shaft is a bit different to me. I have changed my set up with the ball in the center and I'm standing a bit taller. Gets a good pendulum motion that the putter responds well too. I love the speed control I have with the Huey. I'm not leaving nearly as many putts short, which could also be a product of the extra confidence I have with it. Sound is still that nice, quiet click and the ball rolls very nicely off the face. No jumping, skipping, etc. Just a quick roll that stays very true to the line. I love the single alignment line too. It's working very well for me when I set up. The putter sits nicely on the green as well.

Hate to get all honeymoonish, but I strictly believe in results. I have not putted this well in a long time. It's making me completely rethink my beliefs as to what type of putter works for me. I always thought center shafted putters and me would never get along, but the Huey is sort of killing that belief for me.

The only thing I'd change is that I'd like a bit larger grip. Then again, why would I change anything?

Played a round of 18 holes today with the Huey. Also, went to the practice green yesterday.

The practice green was a waste of time as I went somewhere that would be better suited as a putt-putt golf green. Huge undulations and they put the cups where you basically have to make impossible putts to sink anything. Kind of got away from a couple things that I had been working on as I got frustrated and generally don't have much else to say about that.

So, I took Huey out today with a bit of trepidation. The greens I was playing on were not fast, but they were really smooth. Ended up with 31 putts! That's majorly good for me. I hit more 6-12 footers today than I think I ever have. I actually felt like I was putting for the hole rather than the second putt.

Like I said in the previous post, the center shaft is a bit different to me. I have changed my set up with the ball in the center and I'm standing a bit taller. Gets a good pendulum motion that the putter responds well too. I love the speed control I have with the Huey. I'm not leaving nearly as many putts short, which could also be a product of the extra confidence I have with it. Sound is still that nice, quiet click and the ball rolls very nicely off the face. No jumping, skipping, etc. Just a quick roll that stays very true to the line. I love the single alignment line too. It's working very well for me when I set up. The putter sits nicely on the green as well.

Hate to get all honeymoonish, but I strictly believe in results. I have not putted this well in a long time. It's making me completely rethink my beliefs as to what type of putter works for me. I always thought center shafted putters and me would never get along, but the Huey is sort of killing that belief for me.

The only thing I'd change is that I'd like a bit larger grip. Then again, why would I change anything?

I'm seriously glad you're digging the Huey so far, excellent info as usual (but I'd expect nothing else form you buddy!).

I just love the feel and look of the Huey so much, more so than any other putter I've had.

Thanks, Jman.

I actually felt much more comfortable with the look today. I didn't have that odd feeling looking down at the ball and it was all much more natural for me. I'm really surprised by this putter. Not so much the quality, sound, and feel, as I already knew TP Mills was top notch in those areas. It also really puts a good roll on the ball and is quite easy to putt with.

Thanks, Jman.

I actually felt much more comfortable with the look today. I didn't have that odd feeling looking down at the ball and it was all much more natural for me. I'm really surprised by this putter. Not so much the quality, sound, and feel, as I already knew TP Mills was top notch in those areas. It also really puts a good roll on the ball and is quite easy to putt with.

Yup, the thing I love is you always KNOW with any Mills that the sweetspot will always be perfectly aligned with whatever alignment aid you may have on that particular putter. Davis is meticulous about the sweet-spot not being off, you'd be shocked how many putters are out there where if you were to balance them the sweet-spot is not completely aligned with the aid. All of what I just typed is really neither here nor there but just a fact that I think is cool as hell lol.

That really is cool to know. I want this putter to stay here with me.

Fantastic work guys. I am really big fan of CS putters. If I am half as successful with it as you guys are I can tell wifey to forget about sweaters and cologne under the tree.

It looks like it is a bit smaller shaped than some mallets. Is that just my eyes deceiving me? Do you guys have some common putters in the barn that we could see side by side with the Huey?

It's definitely a mid mallet. Head size similar to a #9 or Rossie. I will try to take a picture tonight.

Fantastic work guys. I am really big fan of CS putters. If I am half as successful with it as you guys are I can tell wifey to forget about sweaters and cologne under the tree.

It looks like it is a bit smaller shaped than some mallets. Is that just my eyes deceiving me? Do you guys have some common putters in the barn that we could see side by side with the Huey?

Missed this yesterday somehow - sounds like a very solid initial outing Hawk! Looking forward to hearing other testers thoughts before receiving this myself in a few months.

FINALLY! this afternoon I get out on the course with this putter. I'm excited to see how it performs for me on the course after hours of practice with it indoors and on practice greens. Unfortunately its only my 9 hole league play, but I have 3 full rounds setup next week to give it a full go, before passing it on.

More info to come.

Played 10 holes with the Huey in the bag today. I think I'll just recap the holes really quickly first.

Hole 9 - Par 3: Hit the green about pin high and 15 feet left of the flag. A little downhill. Picked the perfect line, but left it freaking 6 inches short. Ugh. Tap in par.

Hole 10 - Par 4: Third shot was on the fringe directly above the pin about 8 feet away. Putted, but it wasn't a putt. Was short by a foot or so. Tap in bogey.

Hole 11 - Par 4: Hit the green towards the front and the pin was in the back. Took a long lag from 30+ feet and ended up about 5 feet long and above the pin. Sunk the five footer for par!

Hole 12 - Par 5: Hit the green on my fourth shot due to taking a penalty for an unplayable shot next to a fence post. I was about 15 past the pin and above. Really wanted this putt. Picked the wrong line and ended up about 2 feet to the left. Hit the second put for bogey.

Hole 13 - Par 4: Hit the far left of the green in regulation. Had about 30 feet for birdie. Lagged it to 3 feet. Drained the par putt.

Hole 14 - Par 4: Hooked my approach into the left rough. Hit a money chip shot that hit the cup and lipped out. Left me 4 feet for par. Misread it, but hit it straight. About 6 inches left of the hole. Tap in bogey.

Hole 15 - Par 3: Missed the green on my first shot and was under some low hanging trees. Pitched into the leaves, but still made it to the green. About 20 feet from the pin uphill and to the right. Lagged to 3-4 feet and made the bogey putt.

Hole 16 - Par 4: Hit two horrible shots and was left with an 85 yard shot from the rough. Took GW and hit it well. About 5 yards past the pin. Fairly flat putt that I thought I had. Ended up misreading it as it had some break and was about 3 feet to the left. Made that putt for bogey.

Hole 17 - Par 3: On the green in two due to a pushed tee shot. Chip shot was just not good and left me about 15 feet away. Missed it by a foot or two. Tap in bogey.

Hole 18 - Par 3: Poor tee shot and a hooked recovery shot left me on the fringe to the left. This green is horribly sloped, but I was lucky enough not to be above the pin. I chipped to about 5 feet and somehow made the follow up putt for bogey.

So, stats over 10 holes were:

18 putts
8 two putts
2 one putts

There were some that I should have made, but the really good thing about today was that I had no three putts. I love this putter for speed control and I'm able to hold the line with it very well. Not so good at reading greens it seems.

I had some slippery putts from above the hole and I don't seem to fear flying by the hole with the Huey. Something about the way it feels lighter to me makes the short putts not so scary and the laggers end up closer to the pin.

Excellent work, Hawk. Sounds like me lately, need to get my eyes checked I think.

Do you feel the roll you get keeps you on the line you pick?

Excellent work, Hawk. Sounds like me lately, need to get my eyes checked I think.

Do you feel the roll you get keeps you on the line you pick?

I find that I'm not pushing or pulling the ball off the line I pick very often with it. The problem is that I have issues at picking the line or aligning properly.

I find that I'm not pushing or pulling the ball off the line I pick very often with it. The problem is that I have issues at picking the line or aligning properly.

Ya think that is a getting used to a CS thing Hawk?

Ya think that is a getting used to a CS thing Hawk?

Actually, I don't think it has anything at all to do with the putter. I set up to what I think is the right line, put a good stroke on it, the ball goes where I putted it. It just wasnt the right direction :devil: I'm going to work on picking a spot 12" ahead of the ball to aim at I think.

Actually, I don't think it has anything at all to do with the putter. I set up to what I think is the right line, put a good stroke on it, the ball goes where I putted it. It just wasnt the right direction :devil: I'm going to work on picking a spot 12" ahead of the ball to aim at I think.

So its not the putter, its the putterer. lol

I love the 12" technique, its helped me a ton as a putter.

Back