Cleveland Releases New 588 Wedges

I hear what you're saying man, but having that rounded design and having stampings where they are looks so like a Vokey bro. I would just like to see that cavity a little less busier, personally. Kind of like the original, where it just had the CG and "tour action"

So then why the design? Why not more of a throwback to the originals? I want to hear some thoughts on this.

I don't know how popular the old wedges were but if they weren't a good seller perhaps they didn't want to revisit a past design?

I think they looked at the Vokeys, saw that they're still #1 in wedges, and said 'oh yeah?' and made a design eerily similar to them. Cleveland does more pricing promotions than Titleist so they may be going for the crowd who wants a Titleist in looks and performance but don't want to pay the price

I don't know if you can either but they have a shaft in these that's new, and if you're going to relaunch then at least pay homage to the original in your design standards. Like I said, mimic the old cavity, that would've been sick. Now they just look like Vokey knock offs. Big mistake if you ask me.

I agree with the mountain man. If you're going to bring an old name like 588 back, bring it all the way back: same head shape, same type of stampings. I realize that no one looks at the back of the club when they are playing a shot, and I'm not one to talk about the backs of clubs considering I'm playing the R11 irons and XFT wedges now....all of that said, I would have preferred less stampings on the back, and hope that's an option on the custom site.

I have to say, I could not disagree more with all of you here. Why not bring something all the way back? Because they found something in weighting and design that works better. Why does any golf club evolve? Because R&D says something works better.

And before I am going to say "looks like a Vokey", I strongly recommend seeing where "those" designs came from.

I have to say, I could not disagree more with all of you here. Why not bring something all the way back? Because they found something in weighting and design that works better. Why does any golf club evolve? Because R&D says something works better.

And before I am going to say "looks like a Vokey", I strongly recommend seeing where "those" designs came from.

Ok let's get away from the aestetics of the club for a second. JB if you are able to speak to it, the R&D you mentioned what exactly did they change about the original design? Are we still going to see the same leading edge, a similar weighting, lower average bounce etc..?

Just me personally when I think something is being re-released then it's gonna be the original mccoy, but that's just my honest opinion. If these are a good deal more different then why call them 588's?

Also, kinda odd they paired up with True Temper on the shafts when Miyazaki is an option as well.

Ok let's get away from the aestetics of the club for a second. JB if you are able to speak to it, the R&D you mentioned what exactly did they change about the original design? Are we still going to see the same leading edge, a similar weighting, lower average bounce etc..?

Just me personally when I think something is being re-released then it's gonna be the original mccoy, but that's just my honest opinion. If these are a good deal more different then why call them 588's?

Also, kinda odd they paired up with True Temper on the shafts when Miyazaki is an option as well.

The name 588 to Cleveland Golf means the epitome of wedge design. The reason it comes back with this iteration is because they feel as though this design fits that description.

When it comes to wedges, most people prefer steel shafts. Miyazaki does not manufacture steel shafts, so that was not really an option. Although I would bet that it becomes a custom option soon.

How does stamping something similar to a Vokey equate to "finding something in weighting and design" that works better? I'm genuinely curious.

How does stamping something similar to a Vokey equate to "finding something in weighting and design" that works better? I'm genuinely curious.

Who actually cares about stamping?

I hear what you're saying man, but having that rounded design and having stampings where they are looks so like a Vokey bro. I would just like to see that cavity a little less busier, personally. Kind of like the original, where it just had the CG and "tour action"

You did not just say "stamping", see the bolded portion.

Who actually cares about stamping?

i wouldnt care if mine was stamped dumb@$$ i would still play it if i hit it good lol

Mine will be stamped "Dont hit it fat, stupid".

Roger. All I am saying is that if you are relaunching the 588's, why not stay true to the wedge? Educate me.

I think I gave my thoughts on that above.

Honest question for TC, since he is a fan of Callaway Golf.
If they announced at the end of this year, that they are bringing back the Big Bertha driver, would you expect it to be the same as the original Big Bertha? Or would you expect it to be a modern driver that they considered their best because that is what the Big Bertha name stood for.

If they announced at the end of this year, that they are bringing back the Big Bertha driver, would you expect it to be the same as the original Big Bertha? Or would you expect it to be a modern driver that they considered their best because that is what the Big Bertha name stood for.

I'm not talking anything about technology in these wedges. And I'm certainly not attacking Cleveland's R & D in them. I just find their aesthetic design to be odd. If Callaway relaunched the BB line and had a huge show about it, I would expect them to incorporate modern day technology but it would also be nice if they paid homage to the old school BB line through design and aesthetics. That's all I am saying.

These don't at all resemble Vokey's to you?

344474-main_Full.jpg

I'm not talking anything about technology in these wedges. And I'm certainly not attacking Cleveland's R & D in them. I just find their aesthetic design to be odd. If Callaway relaunched the BB line and had a huge show about it, I would expect them to incorporate modern day technology but it would also be nice if they paid homage to the old school BB line through design and aesthetics. That's all I am saying.

These don't at all resemble Vokey's to you?

344474-main_Full.jpg

No more so than they do the CG15s really or the Mizunos. They all had that circle out on the toe about the grooves. The name up high and more below it.
I expect when a company to launch a new version of a classic for it to be the epitome of what that wedge stood for. And for the 588 that meant great feel, versatility and exceptional performance. Time will tell if these have that.

I would assume if a company brings back a specific model because it was so popular they would stay true to the original. Otherwise why don't they call it CG17 or something like that. Kind of like Ping brought the Eye 2 wedge back and it is supposed to be just like the original except conforming grooves.

No more so than they do the CG15s really or the Mizunos. They all had that circle out on the toe about the grooves. The name up high and more below it.
I expect when a company to launch a new version of a classic for it to be the epitome of what that wedge stood for. And for the 588 that meant great feel, versatility and exceptional performance. Time will tell if these have that.

I agree with you buddy, just those are my initial thoughts.

I would assume if a company brings back a specific model because it was so popular they would stay true to the original. Otherwise why don't they call it CG17 or something like that. Kind of like Ping brought the Eye 2 wedge back and it is supposed to be just like the original except conforming grooves.

^^^this is where my head is right now.

Question for you JB, is Big Bertha vs. 588 kind of apples to oranges? By that I mean isn't it the technology/design/innovation of the 588 that people want brought back? And, driver technology has passed by the Big Bertha. I guess my point is, I haven't seen a post saying "bring back the Big Bertha, no manufacturer has made a driver I like better". I have never hit the 588's so this is an honest question, not trying to be a smart*ss.

Because they are based off of the 588's design...like I said who actually cares about stamping? These days it is used more in the stores to identify what the properties of the wedges are.

cleveland-touraction-forged-588.jpg
i-mgHcMCZ-L.jpg

umm, the original 588's didn't have zip grooves Concept. The originals looked like this:

cleveland-588-tour-action-chrome-wedges.jpg

umm, the original 588's didn't have zip grooves Concept. The originals looked like this:

I know I was just showing how they have been using the base form and changing stamping

Question for you JB, is Big Bertha vs. 588 kind of apples to oranges? By that I mean isn't it the technology/design/innovation of the 588 that people want brought back? And, driver technology has passed by the Big Bertha. I guess my point is, I haven't seen a post saying "bring back the Big Bertha, no manufacturer has made a driver I like better". I have never hit the 588's so this is an honest question, not trying to be a smart*ss.

In some ways you are right, but I think the argument is fair to an extent. People still question the move to eliminate the Bertha line and heck TC and I just last weekend talked about previous Callaway lines and how some of them were the best ever.

However at the same time, I think too many people talk about how there has not been any innovation in wedges and frankly I think that is incredibly untrue. Cleveland has not really said "they are bringing back the old 588". What they have said is that they are relaunching the NEW 588. The 588 wedge was one of the best pieces of equipment ever created some would say. Cleveland thinks they have improved upon that with a new design (according to them). TIme will tell if any of that is true once people get to try them.

I actually think that is a pretty fair comparison though. I believe that was the last of the 588 line and the new wedge is quite similar to me.

In some ways you are right, but I think the argument is fair to an extent. People still question the move to eliminate the Bertha line and heck TC and I just last weekend talked about previous Callaway lines and how some of them were the best ever.

However at the same time, I think too many people talk about how there has not been any innovation in wedges and frankly I think that is incredibly untrue. Cleveland has not really said "they are bringing back the old 588". What they have said is that they are relaunching the NEW 588. The 588 wedge was one of the best pieces of equipment ever created some would say. Cleveland thinks they have improved upon that with a new design (according to them). TIme will tell if any of that is true once people get to try them.

Another good point. I keep wanting to go back to the 588's and not recognize THE 588's that just came out. The shaft in them intrigue me more than anything. I'm not a guy who gets hung up on looks, especially in the cavity, I just wasn't expecting what I saw.

I actually think that is a pretty fair comparison though. I believe that was the last of the 588 line and the new wedge is quite similar to me.

I agree, only thing that really looks different is the stamping and that doesnt bother me one bit

Thanks for the response, JB. I'm down with this-from a marketing standpoint, it's great. They are simply capitalizing on the popular 588 name. Us (the consumer) will determine if we think it is in fact a new and improved/updated design.

I just want to hit them and let my hands be judge.

The shaft sounds like mix of the hirev and spinner, could be a lethal combo.

--
tapatalk

Back