Your take on cargo shorts

Really? Cargo's on the golf course?

Really? Cargo's on the golf course?

Like a lot of you have stated cargos SCREAM muni, they go nicely with a wife beater t shirt! Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game and a gentleman always knows how to dress...with all the progressive styles out there (adipure, Sligo, Hollas, Travis) why would you want to wear baggy shorts with extra pockets, if you need that much crap on your person then you are playing the game incorrectly...sorry had to vent!

One of the reasons that I joined a private club is to get away from the muni mentality....slow play, poor to non existent etiquette, sloppy dress, hammered greens, etc, etc....

Just my 2 cents....

Like a lot of you have stated cargos SCREAM muni, they go nicely with a wife beater t shirt! Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game and a gentleman always knows how to dress...with all the progressive styles out there (adipure, Sligo, Hollas, Travis) why would you want to wear baggy shorts with extra pockets, if you need that much crap on your person then you are playing the game incorrectly...sorry had to vent!

One of the reasons that I joined a private club is to get away from the muni mentality....slow play, poor to non existent etiquette, sloppy dress, hammered greens, etc, etc....

Just my 2 cents....

Wow, coming in with guns blazing! Umm, welcome to THP?

Just my 2 cents....

Wow, coming in with guns blazing! Umm, welcome to THP?

Agreed. Dang. I've met plenty of gentlemen in cargo shorts. Some people are a little more "laid back" than others and people simply have different tastes in style. I used to carry tons of stuff in my pockets while playing, just for convenience, until I got a push cart. I don't wear cargo shorts, but could care less if others do. You are free to vent, and free to your opinion, but I feel it was a bit harsh.

Agreed. Dang. I've met plenty of gentlemen in cargo shorts. Some people are a little more "laid back" than others and people simply have different tastes in style. I used to carry tons of stuff in my pockets while playing, just for convenience, until I got a push cart. I don't wear cargo shorts, but could care less if others do. You are free to vent, and free to your opinion, but I feel it was a bit harsh.

When someone's first post is such an intense rant on something, it makes you wonder what they are here for. Hopefully it's an isolated incident, but you gotta wonder.

Just my 2 cents....

Wow buddy.. Welcome. As for the cargos I dont own any, but far be it from me to tell someone they can't wear them.. Not my place.

As for the muni thing.. Don't place a stereotype on people who play a certain course

When someone's first post is such an intense rant on something, it makes you wonder what they are here for. Hopefully it's an isolated incident, but you gotta wonder.

I was wondering the same thing. How did you find the site? Did you join so you could comment on cargo shorts? Sorry, but just a little odd and a little stereotypical of how I've heard members of private clubs sometimes "look down" on others.

I like them, It gives me plenty of room for extra balls when i go into the woods looking for my original shot. :D

Thanks THP, 23 pages on cargo shorts helped me kill a boring night at work.

I wear them because they are loose fitting on my thighs and yes I can carry more crap. So I wear them for comfort and function.

As for them looking "muni", please take your elitist attitude and stay behind your clubs gate and never enter the real world. A poster several pages back made an excellent comment how the game has to become more inclusive. One shouldn't have to worry if their dress is formal enough to play. I've never seen a course that specifies "no cargo shorts".

Last week I played behind a foursome dressed like manikans from the PGA Superstore. They proceeded to spend the next 5 1/2 hours looking for their ball in the rough and hacking it up. But damn, they looked pretty. Perhaps they should've taken the money spent on overpriced golf attire and spent it on lessons.

This thread is so polorizing because of the underlying premise that one must look the part to be considered a golfer. It's only two pockets, not like i'm wearing my mesh t-shirt.

Thanks THP, 23 pages on cargo shorts helped me kill a boring night at work.

I wear them because they are loose fitting on my thighs and yes I can carry more crap. So I wear them for comfort and function.

As for them looking "muni", please take your elitist attitude and stay behind your clubs gate and never enter the real world. A poster several pages back made an excellent comment how the game has to become more inclusive. One shouldn't have to worry if their dress is formal enough to play. I've never seen a course that specifies "no cargo shorts".

Last week I played behind a foursome dressed like manikans from the PGA Superstore. They proceeded to spend the next 5 1/2 hours looking for their ball in the rough and hacking it up. But damn, they looked pretty. Perhaps they should've taken the money spent on overpriced golf attire and spent it on lessons.

This thread is so polorizing because of the underlying premise that one must look the part to considered a golfer. It's only two pockets, not like i'm wearing my mess t-shirt.

While I dont necessarily disagree with you, your thoughts on the well dressed people that did not play well is frankly no different than someone elses of people wearing cargo shorts.

While I dont necessarily disagree with you, your thoughts on the well dressed people that did not play well is frankly no different than someone elses of people wearing cargo shorts.

That was my point. The dress/play perception works both ways. To me golf is a recreational game, not a lifestyle. I think that is where the divide is on this topic.

I will be sporting cargos at the outing, but all my golf shirts are the performance fabric as I can't stand swinging with a heavy shirt on.

That was my point. The dress/play perception works both ways. To me golf is a recreational game, not a lifestyle. I think that is where the divide is on this topic.

I will be sporting cargos at the outing, but all my golf shirts are the performance fabric as I can't stand swinging with a heavy shirt on.

What I meant was that you are condemning people for not liking cargo shorts, and then made fun of the people that were dressed nice, but played poorly. That to me is exactly the same as what you are condemning.

What I meant was that you are condemning people for not liking cargo shorts, and then made fun of the people that were dressed nice, but played poorly. That to me is exactly the same as what you are condemning.

You missed my point I guess. It shouldn't matter how one dresses, it should matter that they are out there playing and enjoying the game.

You missed my point I guess. It shouldn't matter how one dresses, it should matter that they are out there playing and enjoying the game.

Im not missing your point and agree with that part of your point. However dont agree with this part.

If it does not matter that you wear cargo shorts, why does it matter that they wear "overpriced golf attire"? What makes it overpriced? What if its not overpriced to them, or it makes them feel better about themselves and their game before they tee it up? If we go out and play a round and you shoot 100, should I say to myself, maybe this guy should spend more money on lessons rather than his overpriced golf clubs?

Just my 2 cents....

Your blueblood mentality sickens me! I've been to both muni and private courses and have seen poor golf etiquette at both. The one thing I did see at the private clubs that I didn't see at the muni's was people looking down their nose's at others that they see as being beneath them. I can't stand judgmental people that's a horrible way to live your life always looking down on people IMO

Hate cargo shorts. They never look neat, the pockets curl up, they look sloppy. Cargo shorts should be banned from golf courses.

Cargo shorts are great for bag boys, range pickers, and caddies (I worked as all of them in HS). Do they look great on players, no. Do I lose sleep over it, no.

Ever since I've read this thread, I've noticed more cargo shorts on the course. I would rather play with someone that looks like dirt but can keep up with the group ahead of them and have proper etiquette than be with the "PGA store maniken" that backs up the whole course and ruins the day.

Ever since I've read this thread, I've noticed more cargo shorts on the course. I would rather play with someone that looks like dirt but can keep up with the group ahead of them and have proper etiquette than be with the "PGA store maniken" that backs up the whole course and ruins the day.

Honest question. What if they look ok and can keep up and/or "look like dirt" and slow the course down? Is one exclusive to the other?

I don't care what anyone wants to wear when they play golf. I wish I was good enough to care about others attire but I'm usually involved in thinking about how to finish a hole in the least amount of strokes.

Honest question. What if they look ok and can keep up and/or "look like dirt" and slow the course down? Is one exclusive to the other?

No, they can look however they want, as long as they play golf the correct way (I've seen it both ways: well dressed beginner, sloppy veteran).

who the hell would actually wear cargos on a golf course! *guffaw*

Proper etiquette involves dressing well, but I have also seen it poorly demonstrated on both sides.

If I can remember to do it, I'll try to get a count on how many guys are wearing cargos at this afternoon's small scramble.

I don't wear cargo shorts while playing golf, but I do where them out for the extra pockets. It doesn't bother me too much to see them on the golf course, I care more about how someone acts more than what they are wearing. I played a round at Cog Hill last year with a guy who wore very nice dress shorts with zipper pocket on the thigh but they were not baggy cargo shorts. The pro shop gave him a hard time and they weren't going to let him out.

That being said, those who are OK with cargo shorts do you have an issue when people wear jeans? Where do you draw the line on what to wear?

Back