Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Good rite up the Paulo. It's strange that lowering your hands is what finally did it for you, but if it works, go with it. Have your misses with your previous sets been on the heel or is this something that just started with this set?

Yeah, it was strange, but I think I had probably been over-exaggerating with my hands, which threw my swing off-plane a bit.

My misses with the Wilson fg59s were actually off the toe! But that was while I was making a bit of a swing change. Mostly I've a tendency to miss off the heel if at all, but not to the degree of hitting hosel-rockets. This set has been the first I've had properly fitted, so perhaps it's another adjustment I'm making, or if it makes sense, getting rid of the adjustment I had to make previously!

I enjoyed that paulo. I like reading about what's going on in your mind and what you're working on on the range. The funny thing is, I've been going through something very similar dude.

Thanks bro. I do like to put down the stats and the formal reviews if I can, but sometimes I just ramble on and dump the thoughts out as they come! Hitting out the heel on these wasn't causing too many problems, but my consistency was suffering a little and it was bugging me.

Very interesting paulo. I will remember that if it ever becomes an issue for me.

So I'm gutted. I worked on my review of the Split Cavs. Had video and pics and was going to post after getting home from work. Get home and my computer is frozen. 5 hours later and it is shot. Hard drives are unbootable. Need to order some new drives but probably won't get here until next week. I am so sorry THP & Nike. Working from my wifes crappy computer now.

Your work in this thread has been exceptional. There is no reason to apologize, it happens.

Yeah, it was strange, but I think I had probably been over-exaggerating with my hands, which threw my swing off-plane a bit.

My misses with the Wilson fg59s were actually off the toe! But that was while I was making a bit of a swing change. Mostly I've a tendency to miss off the heel if at all, but not to the degree of hitting hosel-rockets. This set has been the first I've had properly fitted, so perhaps it's another adjustment I'm making, or if it makes sense, getting rid of the adjustment I had to make previously!

Thanks bro. I do like to put down the stats and the formal reviews if I can, but sometimes I just ramble on and dump the thoughts out as they come! Hitting out the heel on these wasn't causing too many problems, but my consistency was suffering a little and it was bugging me.

Same here, until that hosel comes into play!

Got out to play nine holes yesterday. Since I only played nine, I will break it down per shot. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to warm up (I put myself on the walk-on list and was told it was now or it'd be a while) so the first two holes weren't pretty. Scores weren't terrible but the swings felt awful.

All shots were with a TM Penta.

1st hole - par 4, no irons used. Par.

2nd hole - par 3 170, pin in the very back and up hill, hit 5i. Aimed for a draw and hit a slight fade, pin high in a green side bunker. Bogey.

3rd hole - par 5, hit my second shot with my 4i, had a nice high ball flight that was very straight and set me up with a perfect wedge in. Very pleased with this shot. After the wedge in, missed the 5 footer for bird, one ball short. Tap in. Par.

4th hole - par 4, 4i used again for my second shot from 195, hit a bit fat so I came up about 15 yards short but it was online with the pin. Not a terrible result for a mishit. Up and down. Par.

5th hole - par 4, hit PW from 125. Water all down the left side, as well as left of the green, so I aimed at the right edge, planning for a draw. Well, hit it straight, and VERY high, ended up pin high just off the right edge. Failed to get up and down. Bogey.

6th hole - par 3, 176 yards completely over water, anything short will usually roll back to the water. Hit 5i aimed at the pin, and hit a nice high draw (of course when I'm not aimed for it!). Ended up a few feet off the green in the first cut of rough. Again, pin high. Chip, and two putts. Bogey.

7th hole - par 4, hit 9i from 142. Crushed it but hit it about 5 yards left of where I was aiming and put me behind the green with a tough downhill lie. Probably hit it 155 yards which is about 10 yards further than normal. Bogey.

8th hole - par 5, no irons used. Lipped out the pitch for eagle. Missed the 5 footer coming back. Frustrating. Par.

9th hole - par 4, 7i from 155 with the ball below my feet. Hit a nice mid flight baby fade to 4'. Probably the shot of the day for me. Lipped out the bird. Par.

Total score - 40 (+4).

All in all, it was a fun round, even though I was a little "off" with my irons. I couldn't seem to hit the shot shape I was trying to yesterday, but it has nothing to do with the clubs. Ball striking was great other than one fat shot, and the height of the ball flight was very good as well. I just wasn't super accurate yesterday. Luckily, the misses are not that bad with these clubs and still give me chances to score. Does anyone else feel this way?

I tried taking some wear pics but they didn't turn out, so I will try again and post them when ready.

Hoping to get out again this afternoon. As always, any pics or videos anyone would like to see, please let us/me know. I am ready to shoot! I just don't have any ideas at the moment.

very interesting thoughts Paulo! especially around keeping your hands lower. I may try this myself

Test Date: 09/15/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons
Testing Purpose: Try to diagnose why I'm hitting the split cavities mostly out of the heel
My Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 7 iron
Ball Used: Range balls in decent condition
Environment: Glasgow, 48 degrees, 5-10 mph wind.

So I made it to the range for a short session last night. On deciding just what I should test, I realised that although I'm really enjoying them, I seem to be hitting the split cavity the least consistent (going by the face of the iron). I'm constantly hitting out towards the heel. My thoughts -

1 - Are the irons too upright?
2 - Am I standing too close?
3 - Is it the club or the swing?

1. This came to mind as I was thinking about why I'm hitting out of the heel, might be a symptom of the clubs being +1 degree upright? But, the more I consider this, the more it confuses me. I'm striking the pocket cavities out of the middle (mostly), and the blades are coming out the centre too. So, I can only assume they're not too upright...can't I?

2. Spent some time last night messing about with how far away I was standing, without changing my stance width or my ball position. I find that if I tried messing with all 3, it would confuse me when trying to diagnose the problem.
I found that, as I was moving away further, I was actually getting more consistent with my heel hits! Confusing! So, back to the comfortable stance and rethink. Leads me to question 3....

3. The answer to question 1 made me concentrate on the swing. The clubs are fine in the pockets and the blades, so just need to get my head around this bit. I experimented with ball position here, moving it a little further forward - big lefts! I tried the baseball field drill to start hitting 'out' on it....even more heel hits! So, took a step back, walked back up to the ball and tried something that my father-in-law suggested. Keep my hands low. No way, thought I. These clubs are upright, they're made for my upright stance and higher hands! I'll try it anyway, can't hurt any more than the previous attempts. Blam! High ball flight, slight draw, that looks like my expected shot shape....check the club....out of the middle! I might be on to something here.

I'm still working at it, but keeping my hands a little lower really did increase the consistency of my shots with the split cavities. I got a high, penetrating ball flight with maybe a 2 yard draw on the 7 iron. Most of my shots were out of the very middle too, which is encouraging.

To get back on about the clubs and less about me, the feel from these split cavities is something I'm really enjoying. They feel just about as pure as any blade I've hit, and I've hit quite a few. Adding a little forgiveness in there too, these could be a long-term winner for me. If the weather settles this weekend, I hope to get some time on the grass range and get some video of me attempting to work these each way. I can say for sure that I can draw the blades and splits at will, and can manage a half decent fade with both. Hope to get the pockets in the mix too, just to show how versatile the whole set is.

Very interesting paulo. I will remember that if it ever becomes an issue for me.

very interesting thoughts Paulo! especially around keeping your hands lower. I may try this myself

I was exaggerating the hand position before this, so when I say I am keeping my hands low...I may actually just be holding them at the right height, just feels like quite low to me!

All in all, it was a fun round, even though I was a little "off" with my irons. I couldn't seem to hit the shot shape I was trying to yesterday, but it has nothing to do with the clubs. Ball striking was great other than one fat shot, and the height of the ball flight was very good as well. I just wasn't super accurate yesterday. Luckily, the misses are not that bad with these clubs and still give me chances to score. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm starting to appreciate the forgiveness in these irons too Jeff. My ball striking with them is becoming more and more consistent, and the smaller misses certainly don't hurt as much as my previous irons. As soon as that big left disappears completely, I'm convinced lower scores are looming!

I'm starting to appreciate the forgiveness in these irons too Jeff. My ball striking with them is becoming more and more consistent, and the smaller misses certainly don't hurt as much as my previous irons. As soon as that big left disappears completely, I'm convinced lower scores are looming!

Glad to hear Paulo, and am glad I'm not alone here. Luckily, I've gotten rid of the big lefts, mostly with a small grip change. Now, I just need to get my swing grooved to one shot shape instead of trying to work the ball, I am not a good enough player to do so (yet!). I will be much happier when I hit one shot shape consistently and have the workability in my repertoire incase it is needed.

i prolly missed it, but how does the 8 blade compare to not bladed 8 irons. im really deep in though about getting these but i dont know if ill be able to get 140-145 out of a blade 8 iron

i prolly missed it, but how does the 8 blade compare to not bladed 8 irons. im really deep in though about getting these but i dont know if ill be able to get 140-145 out of a blade 8 iron

Are you just asking about distance? 8 iron in this set is one of my favorites and I can get 145 and push 150 with the 8 if I need to.

To give you an idea of my comfortable max yardage with these irons:

PW - up to 115
9i - up to 135
8i - up to 150
7i - up to 160

Are you just asking about distance? 8 iron in this set is one of my favorites and I can get 145 and push 150 with the 8 if I need to.

To give you an idea of my comfortable max yardage with these irons:

PW - up to 115
9i - up to 135
8i - up to 150
7i - up to 160

yeah thats about par with my yardages, but those are with my cb mizzys.. i dont know if i would hit the bladed 8 that well

Thanks for the question!

I actually hit this 8i (and all other clubs in the set) a full club longer than my previous set, 2010 TM TPs. This could be due to the fact that the Nike's are 1/2" longer than the TMs; but still, a full club longer.

Distance control is absolutely no problem with these clubs and I am getting very consistent distance throughout the set, especially the blades and splits. Also, there are no real gaps with the set and surprisingly (initially a surprise) no big gap between the split cavity 7i and the blade 8i. I hit the 7i roughly 160 yards, and the 8i roughly 150 yards, give or take a couple yards. This set does a great job transitioning between the different types of clubs.

Hope that answers your question. Give them a whirl Matty, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the question!

I actually hit this 8i (and all other clubs in the set) a full club longer than my previous set, 2010 TM TPs. This could be due to the fact that the Nike's are 1/2" longer than the TMs; but still, a full club longer.

Distance control is absolutely no problem with these clubs and I am getting very consistent distance throughout the set, especially the blades and splits. Also, there are no real gaps with the set and surprisingly (initially a surprise) no big gap between the split cavity 7i and the blade 8i. I hit the 7i roughly 160 yards, and the 8i roughly 150 yards, give or take a couple yards. This set does a great job transitioning between the different types of clubs.

Hope that answers your question. Give them a whirl Matty, you won't be disappointed.

thanks im really pondering!

thanks im really pondering!

I agree man - that 8 iron is not hard to hit whatsoever!! Actually just as smooth and easy to hit as the 9 & PW for me. At least give them a go and definitely hit the blades - not just the 6 iron.

That does bring up a good point though - really hard to get a good feel for this set just based on the 6 iron given that it is a combo set. One of the unfortunate things you will find at most shops as that is the only club in the set available to hit.

I love all of the blades in this set. My distance is spot on with my G15 8I distances. I get anywhere from 140-150 with mine.

Test Date: 09/15/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons
Testing Purpose: Try to diagnose why I'm hitting the split cavities mostly out of the heel
My Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 7 iron
Ball Used: Range balls in decent condition
Environment: Glasgow, 48 degrees, 5-10 mph wind.

So I made it to the range for a short session last night. On deciding just what I should test, I realised that although I'm really enjoying them, I seem to be hitting the split cavity the least consistent (going by the face of the iron). I'm constantly hitting out towards the heel. My thoughts -

1 - Are the irons too upright?
2 - Am I standing too close?
3 - Is it the club or the swing?

1. This came to mind as I was thinking about why I'm hitting out of the heel, might be a symptom of the clubs being +1 degree upright? But, the more I consider this, the more it confuses me. I'm striking the pocket cavities out of the middle (mostly), and the blades are coming out the centre too. So, I can only assume they're not too upright...can't I?

2. Spent some time last night messing about with how far away I was standing, without changing my stance width or my ball position. I find that if I tried messing with all 3, it would confuse me when trying to diagnose the problem.
I found that, as I was moving away further, I was actually getting more consistent with my heel hits! Confusing! So, back to the comfortable stance and rethink. Leads me to question 3....

3. The answer to question 1 made me concentrate on the swing. The clubs are fine in the pockets and the blades, so just need to get my head around this bit. I experimented with ball position here, moving it a little further forward - big lefts! I tried the baseball field drill to start hitting 'out' on it....even more heel hits! So, took a step back, walked back up to the ball and tried something that my father-in-law suggested. Keep my hands low. No way, thought I. These clubs are upright, they're made for my upright stance and higher hands! I'll try it anyway, can't hurt any more than the previous attempts. Blam! High ball flight, slight draw, that looks like my expected shot shape....check the club....out of the middle! I might be on to something here.

I'm still working at it, but keeping my hands a little lower really did increase the consistency of my shots with the split cavities. I got a high, penetrating ball flight with maybe a 2 yard draw on the 7 iron. Most of my shots were out of the very middle too, which is encouraging.

To get back on about the clubs and less about me, the feel from these split cavities is something I'm really enjoying. They feel just about as pure as any blade I've hit, and I've hit quite a few. Adding a little forgiveness in there too, these could be a long-term winner for me. If the weather settles this weekend, I hope to get some time on the grass range and get some video of me attempting to work these each way. I can say for sure that I can draw the blades and splits at will, and can manage a half decent fade with both. Hope to get the pockets in the mix too, just to show how versatile the whole set is.

Great stuff Paulo. I am also hitting the ball very consistently in toward the heel. I need to go get my lie checked. I don't mind it usual because I don't see any distance loss when I catch it heel side. But that occasional shank is mortifying.

I feel like there is some nice forgiveness when I'm just a little sloppy. Those days that you hit most shots pretty good but maybe catching it just a little fat or thin, I feel these irons have some forgiveness in them. It is the days that you go to the course with nothing that these irons are unforgiving. For me I can be swaying and not have a good rhythm. That is when these irons are not good for me. I had that with my round with SethO and I blew up with a 93. That was not a pretty day

I feel like there is some nice forgiveness when I'm just a little sloppy. Those days that you hit most shots pretty good but maybe catching it just a little fat or thin, I feel these irons have some forgiveness in them. It is the days that you go to the course with nothing that these irons are unforgiving. For me I can be swaying and not have a good rhythm. That is when these irons are not good for me. I had that with my round with SethO and I blew up with a 93. That was not a pretty day

I agree CL. A little while back, I had a day like this as well. My question (and possibly everyone's) is how much different would your round be with GI irons as opposed to these "players" irons? Would you score better? Would your misses be better? Is the accuracy and feel of the VR's worth it if GI irons would help a lot on "off" days? These are the types of questions I have been asking myself and I honestly cannot fully answer them at this time.

I agree CL. A little while back, I had a day like this as well. My question (and possibly everyone's) is how much different would your round be with GI irons as opposed to these "players" irons? Would you score better? Would your misses be better? Is the accuracy and feel of the VR's worth it if GI irons would help a lot on "off" days? These are the types of questions I have been asking myself and I honestly cannot fully answer them at this time.

I'm struggling with that question myself Jeff. Honestly it might be nice to play the GI irons in the winter when I'm not at the range as much. The forgiveness will help then. I can honestly say I've only had 1 round that was completely awful and I don't think the Di11's would have saved me. I just had no timing. My scores have been consistenly better with the VR's though. Like you, I'm going back and forth with myself. I think maybe 3/4 hybrid and 5-PW VR's is the way I am leaning. I just don't hit that many bad shots with these irons in the 5-PW range.

Those are great questions. I have become ok with the result of the misses I experience with the exception of the pocket cavities. Honestly, I think I would need to play a few rounds with some GI's to really answer that. Short game has killed my scoring ability since moving to these but I am fairly confident that with the SCOR's I can bring that back down. Time will tell if these are the best for me....very difficult to answer now as I love many things about them.

Tappin' from my iPad!

How has everyones scores been since moving to the Pro Combos? Are you guys seeing lower scores? Higher scores? For me my handicap has gone down 2 points since I started gaming the VR Pro Combos. That is kind of hard to ignore

How has everyones scores been since moving to the Pro Combos? Are you guys seeing lower scores? Higher scores? For me my handicap has gone down 2 points since I started gaming the VR Pro Combos. That is kind of hard to ignore

My HC has not actually changed much but my average score has been high 80's/low 90's where they were previously low 80's. As I said, this is all short game related for me. I had a GW in my old set that I was great with within 100 yards. For the most part, I have struggled on the 1/2 shots with the PW and my aftermarket wedges did not work for me but I did not really practice them enough either while testing irons. I really do expect to see high 70's/low to mid 80's now with some confidence in my short game. Feels totally different now....starting tomorrow. Also dropping the 3i for tomorrow's round in favor of the 3h should help.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Good job man.

My scores have fluctuated (this is nothing new), but have been quite a bit lower this year due to a huge increase in practice time. My handicap has dropped just over 6 points, from 13.4 to 7.3 (and I think it will be dropping a little again next week). So, overall my scores have gone down but part of this is definitely due to a large increase in practice.

My HC has not actually changed much but my average score has been high 80's/low 90's where they were previously low 80's. As I said, this is all short game related for me. I had a GW in my old set that I was great with within 100 yards. For the most part, I have struggled on the 1/2 shots with the PW and my aftermarket wedges did not work for me but I did not really practice them enough either while testing irons. I really do expect to see high 70's/low to mid 80's now with some confidence in my short game. Feels totally different now....starting tomorrow. Also dropping the 3i for tomorrow's round in favor of the 3h should help.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Not that it matters, but did you consider putting the old GW back in the bag (even though it'd look different)?

Not that it matters, but did you consider putting the old GW back in the bag (even though it'd look different)?

I actually sold the set and it allowed me to buy 1 of the new VR pro wedges....ironic, huh?

It was also kind of my way of "showing Nike some love" by purchasing the wedges to go with the set.

All good, has been a great process and I have learned many things about my game/swing in general that I had never previously paid that much attention to.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back