How much do teaching Pros pay?

polarisdude94

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
I am getting new clubs through a teaching pro, and he told me he would sell them to me at 10% over his costs. I was just a little curious to whatthey normally pay for clubs? Say a set of AP2s. Or a 910 or R11 driver.

Thanks!

Get a price from him, and then do some math.

I know a company sold a CC Platinum putter to me at cast yesterday for 50 bucks. Whether that was what their cost really was, IDK.

every OEM is different for this. I know I bought PING irons through a "players discount" and it was 40% below wholesale. That was about 4 years ago. Other companies were different

It depends on their volume. If you can get clubs at 10% over pro-shop cost, you'll be doing pretty good. You'll probably save about $300 on a set of AP2's compared to MSRP or as much as $100 on an R11.

The CC Platinum putters were on sale for 40 a few weeks ago at TGW so that's not a huge deal, but still a good deal.

My pro has 910 woods, RXF irons, and 588 wedges + SC Putter and he's getting new this winter. Can't imagine he pays full price.

I ended up paying 10 bucks for it. Pretty good deal to me.
The CC Platinum putters were on sale for 40 a few weeks ago at TGW so that's not a huge deal, but still a good deal.

My pro has 910 woods, RXF irons, and 588 wedges + SC Putter and he's getting new this winter. Can't imagine he pays full price.

It depends on their volume. If you can get clubs at 10% over pro-shop cost, you'll be doing pretty good. You'll probably save about $300 on a set of AP2's compared to MSRP or as much as $100 on an R11.
Alright, cool. They are a pretty big club.

Get a price from him, and then do some math.

this is what I would do.

I think anything less than you can get from a store is a good deal

this is what I would do.

I think anything less than you can get from a store is a good deal
Yeah, I'm not getting them until spring during the early golf season. I don't know why I didn't ask him how much when he told me, probably didn't want to get too excited.lol I will easily get a better deal then at a store, but I was just curious because now I am looking at clubs trying to get an idea of what I like. The best part is he is going to fit them for me for free and help me pick out clubs that will fit me well. So I am looking forward to that.

Yeah, I'm not getting them until spring during the early golf season. I don't know why I didn't ask him how much when he told me, probably didn't want to get too excited.lol I will easily get a better deal then at a store, but I was just curious because now I am looking at clubs trying to get an idea of what I like. The best part is he is going to fit them for me for free and help me pick out clubs that will fit me well. So I am looking forward to that.

yeah, to be fit for the clubs and get them at a discounted rate is one great deal. Either way...you win!

He either knows you very well, or business is at an absolute crawl. That is an awesome deal.

Knowing your pros well is probably the best non-skill wise thing you can do in golf.

Good deal! I would guess it would depend on if they are a staff player or not as well. They might get a better deal depending on that too?

I worked at (5) different clubs and was the merchandiser for one of them. we paid peanuts compared to ur markups for clubs and soft goods were even higher markup. This was over 10 years ago so I sure thigs have changed but club pros can save you a great deal if they really want, or could.

So much depends on the deal that pro has with the manufacturer. Typically a 650 set of irons costs out around 450 to the pro shop. But if he is exlusive he might get an extra 5% or free next day shipping , etc. Our pro shop goes exclusive with Titleist balls and gets an extra $2 off pro vs he can pass onto members.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

The pro at my club says he can get any current model set of Mizuno irons for under $400 (3-PW).

haha. Very true! He has given me free lessons many times.

I get free lessons on the course everytime I play... to bad it is always from other hacks :)

The pro at my club says he can get any current model set of Mizuno irons for under $400 (3-PW).
Nice! You gonna take him up on that offer?lol I heard from a friend of mine that I can get the 712's for 600. And the 710's for less than that. Now I just got to decide what I want. Anybody know the difference?

Nice! You gonna take him up on that offer?lol I heard from a friend of mine that I can get the 712's for 600. And the 710's for less than that. Now I just got to decide what I want. Anybody know the difference?

My teaching pro says he can get a similar discount from Ping so I'm going to wait to try out the i20's before I make a purchase. The Mizuno set I was interested in was the JPX-800 Pro. $370 for 4-Gw. My friend recently ordered the 710 AP1 from the same pro and got them for $300.

As for your other question, it seems like the difference between the 710 and 712 series irons is mostly cosmetic. Titleist admits as much in a video on their website about the 712 MB and CB irons. The 712 AP1 and AP2 irons have different internal weighting than the previous generation that supposedly makes them more forgiving. Other than weighting and a cosmetic face lift, the 710 AP1 and AP2 play and feel a lot like the 710 series. I actually still prefer the 710 AP2 over the new 712.

My teaching pro says he can get a similar discount from Ping so I'm going to wait to try out the i20's before I make a purchase. The Mizuno set I was interested in was the JPX-800 Pro. $370 for 4-Gw. My friend recently ordered the 710 AP1 from the same pro and got them for $300.

As for your other question, it seems like the difference between the 710 and 712 series irons is mostly cosmetic. Titleist admits as much in a video on their website about the 712 MB and CB irons. The 712 AP1 and AP2 irons have different internal weighting than the previous generation that supposedly makes them more forgiving. Other than weighting and a cosmetic face lift, the 710 AP1 and AP2 play and feel a lot like the 710 series. I actually still prefer the 710 AP2 over the new 712.
Nice, good deal. I have heard on one occasion of someone getting a set of AP2's through a different Pro for 300. That would be amazing if I could get that deal too. Yeah, I heard different weighting. But I think they both look good, don't really prefer one over the other. Would the 710's be cheaper by a lot?

I believe that is a lot better than going to a store. The course i work at the pro can get some clubs for almost 50% off what you would pay. And thats what i pay when i buy any clubs from him i pay the price he pays. Got the new :titleist: SM4 wedges for really cheap.

Back