Shanking out of the bunker!

crazygolfnut

Let's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
The worst part of my game over the past couple of years is bunker shots. Since this is the off-season, I cannot show you a video of my sand shots but maybe in the spring. My bunker game is so bad that my sandwedge has marks on the hosel because I shank almost all sand shots. Yes all sand shots.

The standard sand in the Midwest is not the nice and fluffy kind you find in places like Florida. Most sand in the Midwest is what I would call heavy/thick stuff and many times it almost looks like very fine rocks.

What I do is open my stance, open the club, and hit two inches behind the ball and watch my playing partners run for the carts. Hosel rockets almost every time. The only way I can get out of the trap is to pick it with a very short straight back straight thru swing. I only hit a few shanks a year on full swings so that is not a normal problem.

I am open to any and all suggestions except taking up bowling. :act-up:

Thank you in advance.

Well I bought Phil's Secrets of the short game dvd. In the part about bunker shots he sais to be sure that you have your weight forward because you need to get under the ball. If you don't lean forward the bounce of the club makes sure you slide on the sand and shank the ball.
I am doing it like he suggests and I am doing much better on sand saves now.

I do like the Phil DVD. I learned alot from it.

Ask the pro section guys, need to wait on the pro to respond before jumping in.

Sorry for the delay in getting to this question, here is where I would start:

1. Check ball position, for a bunker shot it should be a clubhead's length inside your front foot.
2. Your weight should be about 75% on your front foot
3. Keep your stance aimed left of your target and clubface pointing at your target (most people would say the stance is open and the clubface is open)
3. In your swing, feel your are swing along your foot line. This will feel like your are swing outside the ball on the takeaway. Also, as the club moves back try to point the shaft of the club vertical as soon as possible. Then swing down along your foot line (which will feel like you are swing to the left of your target). Make sure to keep the weight the same during the entire swing, which means it will say on your front foot. From my experience you are shanking the ball because you are too shallow in your bunker swing. These set-up and swing keys will help you swing steeper.

Hope this helps!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks Josh. I will give these tips a try. :act-up:

Sorry for the delay in getting to this question, here is where I would start:

1. Check ball position, for a bunker shot it should be a clubhead's length inside your front foot.
2. Your weight should be about 75% on your front foot
3. Keep your stance aimed left of your target and clubface pointing at your target (most people would say the stance is open and the clubface is open)
3. In your swing, feel your are swing along your foot line. This will feel like your are swing outside the ball on the takeaway. Also, as the club moves back try to point the shaft of the club vertical as soon as possible. Then swing down along your foot line (which will feel like you are swing to the left of your target). Make sure to keep the weight the same during the entire swing, which means it will say on your front foot. From my experience you are shanking the ball because you are too shallow in your bunker swing. These set-up and swing keys will help you swing steeper.

Hope this helps!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Josh, I did what you suggested and after three rounds and lots of bunkers, not one shank!

Thank you for your help.
CrazyGolfNut

congrats on the improvement

Back