Page 46 of 154 FirstFirst ... 36404142434445464748495051525696146 ... LastLast

Thread: TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Handicap
    GHIN = 8.8
    Thanks
    Hi Nate absolutely I could feel the ball coming off the clubface as well. I also can feel the clubhead throughout my swing which was an improvement as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I don't know about you, but I was able to 'feel' the ball coming off the RBZ more than the 2.0. What did you think?
    In my Taylormade R1 tour Bag:
    Driver : R1 - Matrix Rul - Stiff - 10.5* - N Bias - Nuetral
    Fairway Wood: RBZ Stage 2 tour 5W - R11 7W - Ozik HD7 - Stiff
    Irons: Speedblades - 4-PW- Graphite - Stiff
    Wedges: ATV 50 & 54 & 60 - KBS Tour 90
    Ball: Lethal
    Putter: Spider Mallet

Catch ya on the flip side FrankA's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    First time on the course.

I thought I would have more of an update to give today. Unfortunately the temp was ~ 40* with 20mph winds, largely sustained throughout most of the round. I was cold an tight and was not doing these clubs justice for the majority of the round. I did have about 6 good holes. And found good performance with the irons. The wind was about a 3 club wind so I have no idea my distances. On the couple of holes that the wind was not awful I was at least a club longer than my previous Adam's CB2's. It was a rough day. We'll leave it at that.
    G25 D 9.5*
    STAGE 2 15*
    G25 4W 3H 4H
    G25 5-PW
    50* 56*
    GOLO 34"

Handicap
    Summer
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,551 Times in 2,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankA View Post
    First time on the course.

I thought I would have more of an update to give today. Unfortunately the temp was ~ 40* with 20mph winds, largely sustained throughout most of the round. I was cold an tight and was not doing these clubs justice for the majority of the round. I did have about 6 good holes. And found good performance with the irons. The wind was about a 3 club wind so I have no idea my distances. On the couple of holes that the wind was not awful I was at least a club longer than my previous Adam's CB2's. It was a rough day. We'll leave it at that.
    It was too cold and windy for me today. We had a high in the 40's and wind gusts up to 30 mph. Maybe tomorrow will be less windy ! Tonight its suppose to be 10 - 15 degrees with the wind chill.
    Spoiler
    SLDR Mini Driver 14 Degree
    RAZR X 2, 3, & 4 Hybrids

RAZR XF 5 - AW Irons
    ATV 56 Sand Wedge
    Smart Sole 58 Lob Wedge
    Versa 330 Mallet Putter

My Friends Call Me Big Time Nate's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,723 Times in 2,693 Posts
    Conditions: Sunny, low 50's, wind 10-20mph from the north
    Purpose: Distance Testing RBZ irons (stock) to MC iron (1/2 longer shaft and 1 degree upright) RBZ/MC = same shaft length
    Range Conditions: Off the mats
    Distance marked from where the ball first hit and not the end result

Friday afternoon I headed out to the driving range to spend some time with the RBZ irons. I have 2 rounds under my belt with them but have yet to spend a good amount of time on the range with them. I really wanted to test and compare the distance performance out of the RBZ's. I knew the wind was going to be at least 10mph out there but I experienced a bit more than that. I would estimate the wind was 15-20mph out of the north which put it directly into my shots during my time there. Not what I wanted but I made the best of it. I brought my TM MC's as well to compare.

First off put my sites on the 123 marker. Again, keep in mind there was a 10-15 mph wind directly into my face. I will have some video later where you can hear the wind. I took out the RBZ PW (45 degree) and the MC 9 iron (42 degree). Started off with the RBZ PW and soon realized why I love these scoring irons. They are so smooth. Was playing a nice, very so subtle draw into the green. My first 3 shots, right at the pin but each landed short of the green. Another 3, hit great again, but short. After 6, I put a little more jump into the shot and they flaired a bit to the right. I grabbed my MC 9 iron. I have not hit these clubs since I received the RBZ's. Right off the bat I could feel the weight difference of the MC. It is much more head heavy. I could feel the head of the iron each time I took the club back and through. The MC 9 iron was reaching the green much better, but also was expected as it's a good 3 degrees stronger than the RBZ PW. Another thing I noticed was the RBZ PW was a good bit higher in ball flight than the MC 9 iron. Not a good thing hitting into a 15-20mph wind. But as you can see below, even with a normal swing, the RBZ PW was hanging with the MC 9 iron.

I'm with a couple other RBZ testers who felt like when I really wanted to give the RBZ PW a big hit, I would lose some of them to the right. I think this is in the weight of the club/shaft. When I did this with the MC, I would pull 'em. Again weight. Was happy with the start.

Moved on to the 163 yard marker. I took the RBZ 7 iron (30.5 degree) and the MC 6 iron (30 degree). Hit another 6 balls with the RBZ 7 iron and realized right off the bat what was going on distance wise. I was coming up short of the 163 marker and thought for sure I would be able to reach even in a 15 mph wind. These clubs get up and get up fast! They have some great height. After about 15 balls moved to the MC 6 iron. Again, right off the bat noticed the weight difference in the iron heads/shaft. I missed the first couple with a good pull left. Straighened it out and hit some good shots. The MC 6 iron had a more mid range tragectory. This helped in the wind. And the results showed.

The MC 6 iron was a bit longer but a big part of this was the height difference I was getting. I will say this, the RBZ shots did not balloon in the wind. It was a penetrating flight but just a bit too high. My misses with the RBZ 7 iron were to the right while the MC misses were to the left. But for the most part, the RBZ shots were more on line.

On to the 223 flag. I knew this was going to be tough into the wind. Didn't know what to expect. Of all the RBZ clubs I've hit the least, it's the 5 and 4 RBZ iron. I started off the test using the RBZ 5 iron and about 3 shots into it I went into the bag and pulled the RBZ 4 iron out. I was not where close to the green. Here's the funny part. While my mid and low irons seem to have a high shot flight, my 5 and 4 iron shot are much different. Now granted, the RBZ 4 iron is a 20 degree club compared to my MC 4 iron being 23 degrees. It is a much lower to mid ball flight. Even then, I could not get one of the RBZ 4 iron shots to hit on the green at 223 out into the wind. That's when I knew the wind was blowing pretty good. So I grabbed my Burner 2.0 Superfast 3 wood (15 degree). I hit 4 shots and only got one to hit pin heigh. Ha-Ha!! So all and all, I think the RBZ 4 iron performance held it's own. I did notice that the RBZ 4 iron did have some run out on it. Most of the balls rolled out to the 223 marker in the end.

Went back to the 123 marker and started pounding out the RBZ 9 iron at the stick. Still a higher ball flight than the MC 9 iron but they were all getting to the green and some past. I think this is important to know when using these irons into a good wind. They will still get up unless you do something to keep the ball down. That's usually clubbing down and punching the shot anyways so just something to know.

End results - I think these clubs are long but maybe not as long as I first thought. I think the BIG reason for this is because my MC's are already 1/2 longer in length which puts them even with the RBZ's. I know these clubs are more forgiving than my MC's. My misses with the RBZ's was a tad to the right. I had a hard time pull hooking any of the shots (like when i was playing for a draw). I can really still feel the ball come off the RBZ club head. I like this. I'm still in love with the 9, PW and GW. I really like the 6, 7 and 8. I need more work with the 4 and 5 iron. These 2 clubs are very long and I need to find which shot is more consistent to hit. But I will admit, hitting my MC's again was liking seeing the girlfriend back in college that broke my heart. They are never forgotten.

Elitist
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Nate, dude, that is a trip how well you reviewed these things! The Google map feature you included there is awesome!

Catch ya on the flip side FrankA's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Wow, Nate, what a thorough review.

Tapatalk
    G25 D 9.5*
    STAGE 2 15*
    G25 4W 3H 4H
    G25 5-PW
    50* 56*
    GOLO 34"

Major Champion

Handicap
    W.I.P.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Good stuff, Nate. Very helpful as I am pondering these irons big time.
    Spoiler
    In my Morgan Cup Staff Bag:

Driver: SLDR-S Reg Fubuki Alpha 60 12*
    Fairways: SLDR-S Reg Motore Speeder 6.3 Tour 15* & 17*
    Hybrids: SLDR-S 19* Reg Speedblade Graphite
    Irons: SLDR-S Graphite Reg 4-SW
    Putter: Ghost Spider Si
    Ball: Tour Preferred X

Proud Champions of the 2014 Morgan Cup

Handicap
    Thanks
    Great review Nate! I love the comparison between your MC's and the mapped distances.
    Spoiler
    Driver: G20
    Fairway Wood: Rapture 5 Wood
    Spoiler
    XRail 7 Wood
    Irons: CB3 4-GW W/ Tour Smoke Shafts
    Wedges: PING Gorge 54,58
    Putter: Yes! Callie-f

Handicap
    GHIN = 8.8
    Thanks
    Awesome review Nate!
    In my Taylormade R1 tour Bag:
    Driver : R1 - Matrix Rul - Stiff - 10.5* - N Bias - Nuetral
    Fairway Wood: RBZ Stage 2 tour 5W - R11 7W - Ozik HD7 - Stiff
    Irons: Speedblades - 4-PW- Graphite - Stiff
    Wedges: ATV 50 & 54 & 60 - KBS Tour 90
    Ball: Lethal
    Putter: Spider Mallet

Handicap
    A lot
    Thanks
    Very sweet review! I like that you went more with loft comparisons versus just straight 7 vs 7 comparisons. Gives a very honest review. Looking forward to something similar without the wind, though the info about ballflight into the wind was very helpful.
    Bag: Grom Stand Bag
    Driver: R9 SuperTri
    Irons: Burner 2.0: 4-PW
    Hybrids: 19* 3h and 25* 5h
    Wedges: CG15 Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
    Putter: Rossa Corza Ghost
    Ball: E6

Currently Testing: B330-RX and RXS thanks to and

Mini Tour Player
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Guys I have been reading this section with deep envy. Finally got to hit some of these yesterday.......I normally hit a 7 iron 145-150 yds.....RBZ 7 iron 186-192 yds consistently......gobsmacked.....now on my birthday wish list.
    interestingly I also hit some Jpx 800 I was hitting those 180 yds consistently.....dilemma time.
    just want to say Great Forum.....and great reviews keep it up

Handicap
    OOB 18
    Thanks
    Great review Nate and the mapping is awesome.
    Driver: Amp Cell
    Fairway: G20 4 wood
    4 Hybrid: G25 23
    Irons:: G20 4-UW
    Wedges: JPX 54 and 58
    Putter:M2
    Ball: E6

Handicap
    GHIN 9.6
    Thanks
    Woah Nate that is awesome man, very cool! Great review, interesting to hear you also are having problems really stepping on it with the shaft. Thats been my only drawback so far, everything else about these irons is just fantastic.
    Driver: R11s 9
    FW: Mashie 14
    Hybrid: Mashie+ 18 / Mashie+ 23
    Irons: J40 DPC 5-PW w/ Tour Stiff
    Wedges: 588 Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Metal-X #7 32"
    Ball: Hex Black

Handicap
    Thanks
    Great review Nate! Nice touch with the google earth pics.
    In my Grom bag:
    Spoiler
    Driver R11 9* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    3 Wood: R11 15.5*
    3 Hybrid: Idea Pro Gold
    4 - PW: MP-52
    Wedges: Bob Vokey 252, SM56, SM60
    Putter: California Monterey 1.5 35"
    Ball: B330

Handicap
    Thanks
    Great review, Nate. Thanks for the detail!