My, how things have changed in a year.

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I was at golftown today for the first time in a whole year (hard to believe hey!?) just taking a look at things since there's no point buying or trying in the off season when I haven't swung a club since July.

Walking in, I did my usual tour of the putter section. It's really weird being able to look at golf clubs like I look at cars. "This one has a sound slot" "This one is cast with a milled face" "This one has a special insert". I oggled at the Odyssey blacks since they are on for 50% off, but they didn't have a #5 for me sadly. There were some Bettinardis there (only the second time I'd seen them) and man were they pretty.

Moving onto the drivers/woods I saw the CG Black, Z-Star FW woods (no driver darnit!), some 910s with the wrong shaft for me, and basically everything cool to have come out in the last year. It really is weird being able to look at a shaft and know its flex profile based on its name, or whatever markings companies use. My dad couldn't believe how light the CG Black is, and how robust the shaft feels for only being 39g. It's really amazing how technology has progressed.

Wedges and Irons were up next and I have to say the 588 wedges are stunning, while the eye2+ wedges made me want to poke out my eyes. Today was the first time I had seen Miura irons up close, and my god they are works of art. I also saw a Honma set of irons for a cool $5000. To be honest they didn't look as nice as any of the run of the mill sets for <$1000.

Thanks to this forum I seem to know more about some (most) clubs than the sales associates there and will actually be able to make an educated decision when I make my next purchase instead of pointing at a price tag and hoping it's a good set of clubs.

Back