Callaway Razor X irons....reshaft or sell????

burghhacker

Reaction score
Handicap
I was able to acquire a set of Callaway Razor X irons from a co worker. Only played a few rounds with them and due to an injury can't play rest of season and sold them to me for a steal! Problem is the UNIFLEX shaft. The dispersion is not tight and the ball at first would hook. Worked on grip and set up not still have a hard draw. I just hit a Projext X 6.0 mated to Maltby Ke4 irons. Off the mats at the range ok. Little trouble getting them in the air. In the grass this seem to be even harder. The ones i did hit well off Mats were straight and tight but a little shorter than my typical 6 iron. My 6 iron is around 180. Think project X might not be right shaft for me.Do struggle to get the ball in the air.In the past would normally play a stiff flex. I just returned to golf so not sure here.

1.) Should I consider re-shafting or sell the Razors and go with a different set that comes with a stiff shaft. Are these irons worth it?
2.) Anyone playing the Razors with a different shaft and liking them?
3.) Any suggestions on what shaft to use if I should re-shaft?
4.) go with another iron and stiff flex, if so what iron??

Thanks. Looking forward to your responses and help.

Thanks to playing in The Morgan Cup I was a Callaway Staffer. I am playing the Razr X irons with Dynamic Gold s300 shafts in them and absolutely love them. My scores have never been so consistent it's awesome. I didn't think the uniflex shaft in them was all that bad, I just got more of what I was looking for with the s300. Forum member Yoccos has the RX irons with the stock shaft in them. I hit a few of his at The Morgan Cup and didn't have any real issues with those shafts.

If I were you, I'd get them on a launch monitor or do the mizuno shaft optimizer. They are great irons and with the right shaft should be a good fit for you.

Everything you will read hear is the Razrs are awesome! I would take them somewhere and get them fitted and I think you will see some good results from that for sure!

Thanks to playing in The Morgan Cup I was a Callaway Staffer. I am playing the Razr X irons with Dynamic Gold s300 shafts in them and absolutely love them. My scores have never been so consistent it's awesome. I didn't think the uniflex shaft in them was all that bad, I just got more of what I was looking for with the s300. Forum member Yoccos has the RX irons with the stock shaft in them. I hit a few of his at The Morgan Cup and didn't have any real issues with those shafts.

If I were you, I'd get them on a launch monitor or do the mizuno shaft optimizer. They are great irons and with the right shaft should be a good fit for you.

+100000...I agree with all of this post. I would definitely get them reshafted.

Everything you will read hear is the Razrs are awesome! I would take them somewhere and get them fitted and I think you will see some good results from that for sure!

I agree. Go somewhere and go through a full fitting. What shaft works for me, will more than likely not work for you. You will get many opinions on the correct shaft, but without hard numbers, you are just reaching and taking a chance. A fitting will give you the data needed to get the shaft that is correct for you.

ddec thanks for the threads.To al thanks for the responses! I did do the shaft optimizer before. Last fall got a gift card to be fitted. The fitting concluded that I should Play Dynalite gold XP stiff, KBS stiff (soft stepped), Project X 5.0 and Rifle 5.0. Then post the fitting I fitter stated the best iron head was the Mizuno JPX 800 pro. I am a high handicap and struggle to get the ball in the air. I was at a range (both mats and grass) and got to hit a 6 iron with the Rifle 5.5s. Could not hit them at all. Ball would not get up. I want a forgiving iron but do not want to look at a huge OS head. I like the look of the Razors for a game improvement iron. I do not think that the rifle or project X in a 5,0 will be stiff enough and not sure about 5.5 in Razors? I have a very fast tempo and aggressive swing type. Any suggestions with what I gave you ?
Find it interesting that you play the DGS300s in yours. You stated you have swung both the uniflex and then your DGS300s, can you provide some feedback and a comparison?
I do not mind a little high ball flight just want a tighter dispersion! Not sure if this can be fixed by just going to a stiff flex shaft from the stock uniflex shaft?
Thanks Again

Sorry to clarify the 6 iron I struggled with at the range was a JPX 800 PRO with a rifle 5.5.
Thanks

ddec thanks for the threads.To al thanks for the responses! I did do the shaft optimizer before. Last fall got a gift card to be fitted. The fitting concluded that I should Play Dynalite gold XP stiff, KBS stiff (soft stepped), Project X 5.0 and Rifle 5.0. Then post the fitting I fitter stated the best iron head was the Mizuno JPX 800 pro. I am a high handicap and struggle to get the ball in the air. I was at a range (both mats and grass) and got to hit a 6 iron with the Rifle 5.5s. Could not hit them at all. Ball would not get up. I want a forgiving iron but do not want to look at a huge OS head. I like the look of the Razors for a game improvement iron. I do not think that the rifle or project X in a 5,0 will be stiff enough and not sure about 5.5 in Razors? I have a very fast tempo and aggressive swing type. Any suggestions with what I gave you ?
Find it interesting that you play the DGS300s in yours. You stated you have swung both the uniflex and then your DGS300s, can you provide some feedback and a comparison?
I do not mind a little high ball flight just want a tighter dispersion! Not sure if this can be fixed by just going to a stiff flex shaft from the stock uniflex shaft?
Thanks Again

When it came time for me to pick out a shaft I tested KBS Tour, DGS300, and Uniflex. The KBS just didn't feel right to me in these irons. The Uniflex wasn't bad as I said before. I hit plenty of good shots with them while testing. I got better numbers with the DG than I did the uniflex so that's what I went with. Also my previous irons had those shafts in them so I knew exactly what I was getting in to. It made the decision process slightly easier. I thought the ball flight, while still high, flattened out more with the DG as opposed to a ball that just seemed to keep climbing with the uniflex.

I find it a little strange that you said after your fitting that they fitter recommended the JX800 Pro irons. That's just going off of what you are saying on here, obviously I've never seen you swing. If you struggle with getting the ball in the air and don't want a big clunky looking club, I would think these would be right up your ally.

Have you considered trying a graphite shaft?

I went through this exact process earlier this year and found it was actually cheaper to trade in and be fitted for new clubs, than it was to re-shaft the old.

I bought a set of Razr X off the rack in April. After a few lessons I was told that the shaft wasn't suited to my swing, so I enquired as to the cost of a re-shaft (4-AW) and it came out at $450. I then enquired as to how my I would get for the Razrs on a trade in and they offered me $400.

With the irons I was looking at costing between $700 and $850, it was a no brainer to trade the old boys and be fitted.

I left it up to my pro to choose clubs and shafts for me to try (I hit everything) then I just picked the ones that felt the best and I've never played better golf.

ddec,
The Jpx 800 pros were tough for me to hit and could not get the ball in the air with the rifle 5.5s in them. I would love to play a sleek blade type iron. Just favor forgiveness and easy to hit. No have not tried graphite. No injuries or age issues here, if that is what you were thinking. My swing is fast and aggressive. Not sure Graphite would work.

ddec,
The Jpx 800 pros were tough for me to hit and could not get the ball in the air with the rifle 5.5s in them. I would love to play a sleek blade type iron. Just favor forgiveness and easy to hit. No have not tried graphite. No injuries or age issues here, if that is what you were thinking. My swing is fast and aggressive. Not sure Graphite would work.

I'm currently testing some graphite shafted irons and they have held up incredibly well. In fact, I havent been able to tell a difference. I was fitted to PX 5.5's or KBS Stiffs and I'm thinking we have around the same type of swing (ss and tempo) looking at the shafts recommended to you. In fact, just looking at what was fitted I might have a faster or harder swing. Could be wrong though. Graphites will have no issue standing up to your swing.

If you're struggling with getting the ball up, the shafts you were fitted to make sense and in some cases the graphites can be higher launching. I think that is where DDec was going with that.

ddec,

Graphite shafts have become better over the years. Some shafts are very comparable to steel shafts performance wise but they give the advantage (depending on the mindset) of less vibrations being transferred up the shaft. to your hands. I actually looked at putting Aldila NV-85s in my irons because I liked them more then the steel shafts and I swung faster with them...only reason I didnt is because it was a big up charge for them at 40$ a club. Try to test different shafts if you can and dont write off graphite just yet.

Yoccos. Thanks. You were fitted for 5.5 and Kbs. Are you playing those in your own iron set? If so What irons are you gaming??

Back