Loft and Lie "Fitting" Question

hitmanharleyk

Swing Easy, Hit it Hard!
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 3.6
I need your help guys. I have 3 options of having my loft/lie checked and adjusted on my Nike VR mid cavity irons.

#1. Edwin Watts using a lie board, cost is $29.99 for 10 clubs. I swing, they look at the tape and adjust accordingly.

#2. Dicks Sporting Goods also uses a lie board, cost is $31.99 for 10 sticks. Same as above.

#3. Roy Nix Golf. His son actually does this these days and he is $50 a hour and $4 per club bent. Roy is highly rated among club-fitters. He does what is called a dynamic fitting and they tape the face of the club and mark the ball with a line and then the adjust according to where the line marks the face of the club if I understood right.

With this being the most basic steep of the club-fitting process other than replacing a shaft or grips, is the extra money worth it? What would you do?

When I went to the Callaway performance center, they did both the lie board and dynamic fitting. I liked the dynamic fitting because you could get a much clear picture where the ball was consistently.

#3 imo

Should have added this to my first post.

I'm soon to be working on my swing with a new pro, should I do a series of lessons or the loft/lie adjustment first?

I would go ahead with the loft/lie fit.

I would wait until after your lessons to get anything adjusted. If your instructor changes your swing path then you will have to get adjusted again.
Should have added this to my first post.

I'm soon to be working on my swing with a new pro, should I do a series of lessons or the loft/lie adjustment first?

Get your clubs adjusted first! That way you can wrok on a proper swing with clubs that are right for you. Instead of teaching you how to adjust for clubs that don't fit.

$3-4 per club adjustment is fairly standard, just make sure you don't have to pay if they don't need adjusting!

Check with your fitter, mine will readjust within a year for free and some do it for 1/2 price, but you will benefit by having them right from the start.

I'd go with door #3.

Get your clubs adjusted first! That way you can wrok on a proper swing with clubs that are right for you. Instead of teaching you how to adjust for clubs that don't fit.

$3-4 per club adjustment is fairly standard, just make sure you don't have to pay if they don't need adjusting!

Golf lessons are not built around the clubs that fit you. If your swing is upright and not working, the instructor will put you in proper positions that will change the path of you club and thus effect the lie angle at impact. If no adjustments of this sort need to be made then, yes, get the clubs adjusted prior to the lesson.
I always asked my students at the end of our time to go get adjusted based on their new swing.

Check with your fitter, mine will readjust within a year for free and some do it for 1/2 price, but you will benefit by having them right from the start.

This and #3. Most of the more expensive fitters offer free adjustments. Good luck! Having properly fitting irons makes a world of difference!

If you bought those irons off the rack, go with #3.

If you were custom fitted for those irons when you bought them, then go with #1.

Think I'm gonna go with #1 tomorrow just because it is close by and they told me today $25. I'm then gonna take 3 or 4 lessons over the next couple of months and revisit it with the #3 option at that time. Heck I'm thinking of getting new iron first of the summer anyway.

Golf lessons are not built around the clubs that fit you. If your swing is upright and not working, the instructor will put you in proper positions that will change the path of you club and thus effect the lie angle at impact. If no adjustments of this sort need to be made then, yes, get the clubs adjusted prior to the lesson.
I always asked my students at the end of our time to go get adjusted based on their new swing.

I'll be getting new irons soon and will be taking a few lessons as well. I was told by the pro, like stated above, to do the lessons first then get the club fitting done, as swing adjustments could affect the fitting.

Don't you feel that they will always be fighting the club no matter what if it's not fitted correctly? Not saying lessons are built around the equipment, but if there is some sort of manipulation needed to square the face or fighting a pull from too upright a lie, isn't that counterproductive as a student?

Don't you feel that they will always be fighting the club no matter what if it's not fitted correctly? Not saying lessons are built around the equipment, but if there is some sort of manipulation needed to square the face or fighting a pull from too upright a lie, isn't that counterproductive as a student?

If not fitted correctly, yes. But not being fitted with the proper swing will show the flaw in the club. Once that flaw in the club is located it can be correct by adjusting the lie.
Same student goes and get adjusted lie based on a flawed swing. Shows up at lesson hits the ball descent with swing but has anew misses. Pro corrects misses with grip adjustment, posture, stance...whatever. All would change swing plane and student would have to get adjusted again.
The golf industry is built on people buy and selling clubs because they aren't fitted properly and they don't get lessons. If you get lessons first you'll know what you are supposed to be fitted with.

If not fitted correctly, yes. But not being fitted with the proper swing will show the flaw in the club. Once that flaw in the club is located it can be correct by adjusting the lie.
Same student goes and get adjusted lie based on a flawed swing. Shows up at lesson hits the ball descent with swing but has anew misses. Pro corrects misses with grip adjustment, posture, stance...whatever. All would change swing plane and student would have to get adjusted again.
The golf industry is built on people buy and selling clubs because they aren't fitted properly and they don't get lessons. If you get lessons first you'll know what you are supposed to be fitted with.

It's a vicious circle. But, a good one to be in.:smile-big:

It's a vicious circle. But, a good one to be in.:smile-big:

There really is not right or wrong way to get this done. It boils down to personal preference and what the individual golfer wants to do. There is a good chance that he could (anyone) could be fit with adjustments, take lessons and be just fine.

At a 5.4 hc, would the op's swing change all that much with a couple of lesson's? I was a little surprised his clubs were not already fit.

Pure talent over comes my clubs short comings :act-up: Actually my clubs were order 1/2" over standard and 1 degree upright.

I went today to have the basic lie board fitting done and when I got there they couldn't do them because their machines left-handed side was broken. I did hit off the lie board with a 9 iron, 7 iron and 5 iron. All 3 showed me striking the "ground" towards the heel, the guy said it looked like I needed them bent 1 degree flat.

I have now decided to have the dynamic fitting done on Wednesday, I want to see if the results are the same.

Good to hear, sounds like they will have you all set to go very soon!

Back