Tim

Reaction score
This may sound bad but, I am here to play golf. Not tell the people I get paired up with my life story. I don't care what you do or where you send your kids to school. I am pleasant, polite and complimentary. I learned this from my frien who is a minister. He will never tell people what he does or engage in any off course conversation. Nice shot, nice putt, the yardage is.. the flag is.. is all fine and good. Thats about it from me.

I watched my friend who is a 6 routinely shoot bad score because he got into off course discussions on the course. Trying to be nice no doubt. I finally told him.. Dude, your score goes up the more you get buddy buddy with the people we play with. He agreed and now keeps it to a minimum.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts? It is more important to me to be socialable and affable than to shoot low scores. To each his own.

Strange.

I shot a +13 on the front 9 on a course where I routinely shoot 36-40 today because the people with us wouldn't stop talking to me while I was swinging/putting...I know how you feel.

Good thoughts. I think it depends on the person though. I have had very good conversations playing with new people and shot some very good scores. However, I know exactly where you are coming from and have had some bad rounds and some rough conversations. I just try to get a feeling for the other players and how much they want to talk if I don't know them. I guess I have to say I am a talker though and I do like conversing.

Last edited:
I love friendly bantering on the course so long as they don't talk during my swing/putting. Otherwise I joke around all the time with the guys I play with. It keeps me from thinking about the last bad shot and keeps me focused on what I need to do.

I like people. I like to talk. Your method doesn't appeal to me.

Kevin

Wouldn't it be an awkward round if your playing partners tried to talk and you just ignored them or said "I don't care"? If I was paired with some randoms and they replied "I don't care" to a question or thought, it would get pretty awkward. Golf should be fun, and banter between shots is warranted, as long as play isn't slowed and it's not during shots.

Tiger...is that you?

I think you can be nice and talk to people and still play well. I would have issues with people talking non stop, especially when I'm hitting, but from yours and C0ncepts posts, I doubt we would ever play together. Hope you two don't ever go to an outing or try to get into the Morgan Cup because there will be plenty of talk at both places.

I will never blame somebody else for my bad shots. As long as they are being respectful to the game's etiquette.

As long as its not during my stroke I dont have a problem with it. If I had to go the whole round and not talk to anyone I would go crazy! Even if tournament golf we all talk about everything all the while respecting the competitors time to swing.

I like to chat and get to know people. At the same time, I don't like when people talk when I'm hitting the ball or when they talk when we should be keeping up our pace of play.

Hope you two don't ever go to an outing or try to get into the Morgan Cup because there will be plenty of talk at both places.

gulp...

Just trying to keep their stress down during a golf game. Don't want them to be subjected to people having conversations on a golf course.

Just trying to keep their stress down during a golf game. Don't want them to be subjected to people having conversations on a golf course.

I usually have my caddy push them to the ground.

This planet is far too small not to spend a little time chatting with your golf partners. It is also up to you to set your boundaries. I've asked people to hold the chatter as I begin to address my ball - it is good etiquette. And frankly, there is nothing I dislike more than the person who joins a group and never talks. I'm cool if you're quiet, but walking down a fairway, waiting for people to take their shot, I like to connect with people. Who knows, maybe I can hook them up with someone I know, help them get a job, etc. etc.

If I wanted to walk around with someone who thinks they are too good to talk to me I'll ask my ex-girlfriend to go on a hike.

If I'm grouped with people I don't know, I sort of prefer them to converse amongst themselves. I will always be willing to help them look for lost balls and such, but I generally prefer a bit of separation. I'm not inclined to start up conversations with people I'm familiar with, let alone complete strangers. Small talk is just way out of my comfort zone. On the other hand, if someone seems to be going out of his way to include me with the rest of the group, I'll let him off the hook and make an effort to be more sociable. But it is an effort for me, no doubt about it.

There was LOTS O TALK on the Gordon Lakes course in Augusta today !!!

I had a FANTASTIC DAY !!! and I shot a respectible 48, 43 and had one birdie on the day WHOOOOOOOT

and we was YAKIN AND YAKIN all the while..... heck at one time I was talking to DawgDaddy while I WAS PUTTING :LOL: (that's not normal, fyi)

This planet is far too small not to spend a little time chatting with your golf partners. It is also up to you to set your boundaries. I've asked people to hold the chatter as I begin to address my ball - it is good etiquette. And frankly, there is nothing I dislike more than the person who joins a group and never talks. I'm cool if you're quiet, but walking down a fairway, waiting for people to take their shot, I like to connect with people. Who knows, maybe I can hook them up with someone I know, help them get a job, etc. etc.

If I wanted to walk around with someone who thinks they are too good to talk to me I'll ask my ex-girlfriend to go on a hike.

Hahahahahaha. Good one.

I like to focus just as much as the next guy, but part of the enjoyment of golf for me is enjoying the course and enjoying the people you are with. The other day I was paired up with a twosome and another single. The single wouldn't respond to anything we said, it was so strange. We definitely weren't being chatty Cathy's just the usual hellos and nice to meet yous. By the 3rd hole it got so awkward that we just asked her if she just wanted to play through. She responded to that and to be honest myself and the two strangers I was playing with enjoyed the round much more once she was gone.

I love friendly bantering on the course so long as they don't talk during my swing/putting. Otherwise I joke around all the time with the guys I play with. It keeps me from thinking about the last bad shot and keeps me focused on what I need to do.

That was why I was upset today lol. The guys were really nice and I had fun talking to them...I just wish they didnt do it when I was trying to hit.

Forget your opponents; always play against par.
Sam Snead

Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 pecent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation.
Grantland Rice

Back