Overlap vs. Interlock Grip

polarisdude94

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
What are Pros and Cons of each grip? I used an interlocking grip up until last year when I got lessons with a Pro. I then started using an overlapping grip. I've heard people say the the overlap is superior and so much better. But if it really is so much better then why wouldn't someone as good as Tiger Woods and other Pro's use it? Just curious really. And I was debating going back to interlocking, but I don't know if I should just stay with the overlapping now that I'm already using it.

Thanks!

My con was having pull shots with the interlock grip. I began with the overlap for 10 years, switched to interlap for 10. Only when I gave the overlap a go at a hol-in-one competition. Immediately, my ball went at the hole. I've been with the overlap ever since...about year and a half now.
There's more talk on another thread...I just came from there (Changed my grip, again).

I've changed to interlock grip about a year ago and never went back. I felt that I was holding the club too tight with overlap for some reason.

I've been an interlock my whole life. I tend to "cast" the longer clubs with my right hand. The overlap gives me less fingers on the club and has reduced the casting.

I am using the overlap also. Tried the interlock but just wasn't comfortable with it.

I use an interlock. I tried the overlap, but it just wasn't for me.

Interlock for me, overlap just feels odd

I don't have very big hands so the overlap felt loose to me.

If you are looking for your hands to act as one then the interlock is said to be the way to go. If you are more a feel player then the overlap will get it done.
I don't see one being better then the other. It's a personal preference. TW has played the interlock so long that his pinkies are in a hooked position.

Overlap for me, interlock just feels weird to me. I used to play with a ten-finger, but going to overlap made me a better player IMO.

have always used interlock. I am interested in trying overlap but never have. Hearing overlap is good for a feel player which i am but the overlap has never felt comfortable.

Interlock. Why? Becuase that's what Jack did. Good reason? Maybe not.I like my misses to be short and right rather than long and left, so that's why I've stayed with this grip as it takes some of the right hand out of the release and makes it harder to hit a pull.

I learned to play with an interlock grip. I have tried to use the overlap grip several times with the understanding that it is a "superior" grip. It has never felt comfortable, though.

I even forced myself to hit half a bucket of balls with an overlap grip on the range. Still felt awful.

I've always used overlap. Next time at the range I'll have to experiment with the interlock never tried it.

I've used both. When I first started playing I went immediately with the interlock as it felt natural. LOL... I even caught myself grabbing and holding baseball bats with an interlocking. After a while I experimented with the overlap. Ultimately I use the interlocking. I feel more connected to the club... which in turn makes it feel like I have more control. Conversely, I just found that I had no control with the overlap. They say you can get more wrist hinge using the overlap.

Use what feels the most natural to you.

Alex

I started playing golf around 8 years ago and played with a 10 finger grip because of my hockey background. As I learned and played more I switched to a interlock, but I've now transitioned into an overlap on every shot, including putting. I've found it's easier for me to be consistent as I can be and not have to worry about changing my grip all the time.

I grew up on the overlap and never looked back. Yes, on the range I would attemp to swing at a couple of balls using the interlock but it never felt right. I also think it's a matter of feel. I don't think there is a wrong answer to using either one.

I started with an interlock but have since went to the overlap as I want more pressure in my left hand (RH player) than my right. This year I played a few rounds using the interlock as my swing was a mess and I was really pulling some shots. I really think it only helped me mentally as I am back to the OL. I seem to have more feel with the OL, either will work so its really up to the player.

I am an overlapper. Recently I went back to just a one finger over - for several years I have played with two fingers overlapping my left, pinky and ring finger both. I think it makes a more one piece feel possible but I started getting sloppy with it lately and have gone back to just having just one finger overlapping. I was having trouble getting the face square with two over and the one over seems to help.

I've been using the ten-finger grip for years but have been practicing the overlap. Interlocking is too painful with arthritic hands. I hope that I'll improve with the new grip.

Overlap for me, interlock just feels weird to me. I used to play with a ten-finger, but going to overlap made me a better player IMO.

Back