Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Ok, so maybe I'm not crazy. It just seems a little different. I didn't have any qualms with the other ones, but I know there were folks that didn't care for them.

I wouldn't go that far now :act-up:

But yeah I think the others were Lamkin and these are Golf Pride IIRC. Major improvement to me.

Warning this post has lots of pictures

Different tester but I for one did not care for the stock grip on the FL or 270/290/310 series. Only way I can explain it is that they felt slimy to me, especially after more than a few swings. On the other hand the grip choice on the Black is just about as close to perfect I've found. It's not overly soft nor does it feel like a cold tire. I normally rip grips off drivers right away when I purchase them but honestly I think this one would stay. Obviously weight issues would come into play with a new grip so I think Cleveland did well here in choosing a grip that will appeal to many golfers.

Couldn't agree more. I really like this grip quite a bit and just in feeling it now, it's not too soft at all

Great photos Chunky!! Judging my the face, you are already finding the sweet spot quite nicely!

For anyone interested, I am not seeing this in stores yet. Hit up Golfsmith and PGA SS today and it is looking like 11/25 (Black Friday) for in store availability.

Great pics Chunky, such a good looking driver.

Awesome pics Chunky. Looking at the bottom of that club has me curious about how well its going to hold up. Looks like its got lots of potential to scratch up.

Great pic's chuncky, the more I see and read about this thing the more I want to hit it.

Awesome pics Chunky. Looking at the bottom of that club has me curious about how well its going to hold up. Looks like its got lots of potential to scratch up.

I only had one place to hit last night and it was off a mat so I wouldn't judge it by that. I will keep an eye on it though.

awesome pics chunky. Can't wait to hear your initial thoughts.

Great photos Chunky!! Judging my the face, you are already finding the sweet spot quite nicely!

For anyone interested, I am not seeing this in stores yet. Hit up Golfsmith and PGA SS today and it is looking like 11/25 (Black Friday) for in store availability.

I had to hit off a mat and the tee was higher than I like. I was wishing I could tee it lower but I couldn't. I am anxious to get this one out to my normal range and tee height. I hit a couple of awful shots that were way off the heel. Funny thing is they were low rockets that were quite acceptable

I had to hit off a mat and the tee was higher than I like. I was wishing I could tee it lower but I couldn't. I am anxious to get this one out to my normal range and tee height. I hit a couple of awful shots that were way off the heel. Funny thing is they were low rockets that were quite acceptable

Forgiveness is never a bad thing! However, a skymark on this driver WOULD BE.

Forgot one and my little Max was upset at me. This one shows that this driver is long!! Well longer than a young Chunky which is not very tall

Well, my wife is home sick, but she just texted me that it sounded like a large truck just pulled up and the doorbell rang, so I cannot wait for my son's class to be over, as my Cleveland Black should be waiting for me.

Great pic Chunky - too cute man!

very cute chunky. Another future THP'er

I am noticing that as well. After hitting this afternoon I noticed some tee marks just behind the leading edge. I was using some old zero friction tees and they tend to be a little harder than the epochs.

--
tapatalk

I am noticing that as well. After hitting this afternoon I noticed some tee marks just behind the leading edge. I was using some old zero friction tees and they tend to be a little harder than the epochs.

--
tapatalk

Ironically, I used one for 2 months and did not have any marks really. I do only use the Epoch tees, but that is interesting.

I dont really think its a big deal though. It was more an observation by someone that has yet to actually see or hit one. And if it performs Im not all that concerned about the bottom of the club even though Id prefer it stay nice.

I dont really think its a big deal though. It was more an observation by someone that has yet to actually see or hit one. And if it performs Im not all that concerned about the bottom of the club even though Id prefer it stay nice.

Agreed. Just interesting to see that different tees create different marks.

Those zero friction tees are awful, imo and I can see them leaving some marks. I wonder if they're just superficial though? They might just be plastic remnants that will come off. Stupid ZF tees. Danny, throw those things away dude lol

Get what you're saying man, I'm the same way. I've found that the magic eraser is pretty good at removing those white plastic impact marks. No solution for minor scuffs and scratches, but that's a minor thing.

Get what you're saying man, I'm the same way. I've found that the magic eraser is pretty good at removing those white plastic impact marks. No solution for minor scuffs and scratches, but that's a minor thing.

Does the magic eraser get rid of the ball marks on the face? Would love to get rid of the nasty heel shot ball marks lol. Just don't want to take the black off with it

Does the magic eraser get rid of the ball marks on the face? Would love to get rid of the nasty heel shot ball marks lol. Just don't want to take the black off with it

You know I've never had that issue, they always come off with a damp towel. Hold that though and ill go knock a few balls in swamp and let you know.

--
tapatalk

You know I've never had that issue, they always come off with a damp towel. Hold that though and ill go knock a few balls in swamp and let you know.

--
tapatalk

That part made me lol

Back