Thompson Cigars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver shaft lower flight

Handicap
    Thanks

Driver shaft lower flight

What would be the recommended driver shaft for the "average" golfer to lower his ball flight.

Thank you
    Driver: D100 SL 10.5
    Woods: R11s 5 &7
    Hybrid: RBZ 5
    Irons: Speedblades, 5-AW
    Wedges: SM5 56/14 & 60/04 Raw
    Putter: Golo Mid S
    Ball: Pro V1

Handicap
    Thanks
    What defines an average golfer?
    WITB:

Spoiler
    Driver: Classic
    3wood:
    Black
    5wood: Mashie F5
    Irons:
    i20
    Wedges:
    588 Custom
    The Flat-Stick:
    Metal X #7
    Tour B330

I'm Coming at You Like a Bull with Eagle's Wings

Banned
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TC View Post
    or lower ball flight?

off a 12* driver with a flex or off a 9* driver with an x flex?...

whatchu talkin bout boy?

Handicap
    Thanks
    My new Gin came in today. 11.3. Granted, I haven't played it 4 months so I expect that to rise quickly once I start again. My driver is a 9.5 degree R9. Swing speed last fall averaged 92 when I checked it. I find I hit the ball higher than others. I am not sure if lowering it will increase distance or not.. Just ready to experiment I guess.

Handicap
    RCGA 14.2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fastbasser View Post
    My new Gin came in today. 11.3. Granted, I haven't played it 4 months so I expect that to rise quickly once I start again. My driver is a 9.5 degree R9. Swing speed last fall averaged 92 when I checked it. I find I hit the ball higher than others. I am not sure if lowering it will increase distance or not.. Just ready to experiment I guess.
    Well that's a good start :) Do you have your launch numbers (Launch angle, backspin, ballspeed). Those basics along with what shaft youre playing now could help narrow down some choices.
    Whats in my Bag..

Covert Driver
    3 Deep
    XHP's
    J40 Wedges
    Method Putter

Quote Originally Posted by One-T View Post
    Tina, dont let anyone tell you different, we are the only item. Yes, CB and I may have spooned once. But, it didnt mean anything.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoccos View Post
    Well that's a good start :) Do you have your launch numbers (Launch angle, backspin, ballspeed). Those basics along with what shaft youre playing now could help narrow down some choices.
    I don't have those numbers as of now. Once my new irons arrive in a few weeks AND I get to play some golf, (I'm going to Myrtle Beach on Friday) I plan on having those questions checked. It's going to take a couple weeks of golf to get my swing together again..

I just thought certain shafts might create a lower ball flight. I read this morning the Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 shaft I was looking at creates a higher flight.. I just wonder higher than what??

Handicap
    RCGA 14.2
    Thanks
    I don't have those numbers as of now. Once my new irons arrive in a few weeks AND I get to play some golf, (I'm going to Myrtle Beach on Friday) I plan on having those questions checked. It's going to take a couple weeks of golf to get my swing together again..

I just thought certain shafts might create a lower ball flight. I read this morning the Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 shaft I was looking at creates a higher flight.. I just wonder higher than what??
    Haha, I know what you mean. Those numbers can help since some shafts react so differently than others because of how someone swings the club. You'll even go to different OEM sites, find a shaft chart and it will be different from OEM to OEM. There are times too where a flight might seem high but its optimal, unless you just want a lower flight. In that case there are quite a few that offer that. A good cheap option to check and see if you really want a low flight, is the Pro Launch Red. It may not be ideal (who knows it could fit you) but it is known a low flier, cheap option so you can at least experiment. Or usually, you can hit up a big box store and try options from their fitting carts. Probably not the answer you wanted but I'm sure more can come in here some some shaft knowledge. TC reviewed some Matrix shafts not too long on the home page one of which is a low ball type.
    Whats in my Bag..

Covert Driver
    3 Deep
    XHP's
    J40 Wedges
    Method Putter

Quote Originally Posted by One-T View Post
    Tina, dont let anyone tell you different, we are the only item. Yes, CB and I may have spooned once. But, it didnt mean anything.

You can't scale this! Super Tuna's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Take Matrix's "high" worth a grain of salt. I'd call the Xcon5 mid high at best and most of their other "high" shafts are more mid flight. If you're compairing to something like a Reax it would be lower while being much higher then a RIP Alpha for example.

Also keep in mind that with a SS os around 92 you're going to want a higher ball flight to get maximum distance. It's important to note though that you're looking for a high flight with decent spin but not too much. I'd be willing to guess that the Reax might be launching too high but it's more likely to be spinning to much.

Really, without entirely guessing, as Yoccos mentioned you/we would need some numbers to go off of as to what they are now and then how you want to change the flight. Even then it would be better to get someone to fit you in person since we can only make educated guesses. I imagine someone in Myrtle could do it in an hour or less and I don't doubt there's plenty of well qualifited fitters there so getting access to someone wouldn't be too hard.
    Driver: R11 / F6M2 or Razr Fit TA / Blur 005
    Fairway: R11 / Kuro Kage
    Hybrids: Razr / Kuro Kage
    Irons: Diablo Forged / DG SL
    Wedges: SM4 50/56/62
    Putter: Newport 2 Select / +80g weight / Matrix U11-P02
    Ball: Hex Black or Pro V1X

Handicap
    GHIN: 9.7
    Thanks
    Another bit of info that might help some of the guys in here give you a better idea of what you need or if you need something different is the shape of your ball's trajectory. Does it take off low or high? Does it continue to climb gradually throughout it's flight and decend at a shallow enough angle to get a bit of roll? Or does the ball seem to climb more upward than it does forward in its flight with a decent so steep that your ball drops out of the sky almost straight down with little to no roll out? Flight characteristics can tell a lot if you can't get numbers.

In my Bag
    Driver: Amp Cell Pro w/ Kuro Kage
    Hybrid: 913H 19* w/ Diamana S+
    Irons: X Forged 4-P w/ PXi 6.0
    Wedges: Mack Daddy 2 51, 56, 60
    Putter: SS5
    Ball: B330S

Handicap
    Thanks
    Well, I went to the "dome" this afternoon to hit a few more balls before our get away. I hit driver more than a few times just to take a closer look at ball flight. 90% of the drives were high. They seemed to balloon or spin upward. Teeing the ball lower kept the flight lower. I then went and spent a few minutes with their launch monitor. I was able to hit 6 balls. Normal tee height, the spin rate averaged in the 4600 range. Teed low, it would go between 2600-3600. Please remember, I am in winter form. I expect to have a much more consistent swing when I get back..

Handicap
    Ha!
    Thanks
    You could always try a stiffer shaft

Tappin!
    AMP Cell Blue, 8.5* with RIP Phenom 75
    ​ 913F, 14.25*, Diamana Stiff
    i25 Hybrid with PWR 90 Shaft
    i25 Irons, 5-PW, Tour X-Stiff
    Gold Nickel Vokey SM5 Wedges: 50, 54, 58*, Tour X-Stiff
    iwi Anser with Ultra Slim 1.0 Grip

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseO View Post
    You could always try a stiffer shaft

Tappin!

From all I have read and been told, you need a 100 ss for a stiff shaft. I am no where near that.. Also, most stiff shafts are heavier. I'm trying to avoid the extra weight..

Handicap
    Thanks
    From all I have read and been told, you need a 100 ss for a stiff shaft. I am no where near that.. Also, most stiff shafts are heavier. I'm trying to avoid the extra weight..
    Well, 4600 rpm's of spin is a lot, especially off a R9 (which is a lower spinning head). It makes me think that the shaft you have right now is not good for you at all. Is it the stock Motore shaft? And it is Regular flex?
    WITB:

Spoiler
    Driver: Classic
    3wood:
    Black
    5wood: Mashie F5
    Irons:
    i20
    Wedges:
    588 Custom
    The Flat-Stick:
    Metal X #7
    Tour B330

I'm Coming at You Like a Bull with Eagle's Wings

Handicap
    Thanks
    There is no 'normal' tee height it is whatever works best for you. If you can hit a higher ball by teeing it higher and hit a lower shot with just a lower tee with the same swing, and do that fairly consistently, then I would say keep that, nothing wrong with that, unless you can't control it.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Well, 4600 rpm's of spin is a lot, especially off a R9 (which is a lower spinning head). It makes me think that the shaft you have right now is not good for you at all. Is it the stock Motore shaft? And it is Regular flex?
    I was trying a shaft the same as my fairway woods. A RE-AX 49. I found a driver shaft the same weight. I thought I would put it together since I hit my fairway woods so well.

I guess not!