VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
I just joined the USGA so I can show some support. I have 2 different HC's, one is from Golfshot (an iphone/droid app) and the other is Diablo golf, another app. Diablo says it uses GHIN system and Golfshot I guess just averages my scores? Anyway the Diablo has me at a 15.2 while GS has now has me at a 19.2 with my recent bad round. I do not want to pay for the GHIN, do tournaments recognize any free HC sites? Or do I have to man up and pay?

I don't think anyone recognizes free handicaps for tournament play.

I don't know of any tournaments that except something other than GHIN. If your planning on competing I suggest you get an official USGA GHIN or you'll most likely have to play heads up.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

So its pretty much pay to play?

Our club only charges $20.00 a year for official handicap use.

I don't know of any tournaments that except something other than GHIN. If your planning on competing I suggest you get an official USGA GHIN or you'll most likely have to play heads up.

Not entirely true. In Indiana most course use Blue Golf now instead of GHIN. It is 100% official.

Blue Golf is issued through the Indiana section of the PGA of America; http://www.indianagolf.org/index.php

Last edited:

Not entirely true. In Indiana most course use Blue Golf now instead of GHIN. It is 100% official.

I guess each state is different. Didn't know that but good to know.

I am not a member of a club so that 86's me.

I will have to see what Virginia recognizes. Is the Blue Golf free?

The handicap system is different depending on location. GHIN seems to be the most common of them, but depending on where you are, it might be something else.
For some reason, people think their handicap is their average score. If they shoot 80 a lot, they think their index would be an 8. Unfortunately, that is not really what the index is. Your handicap is not your average score, but your shooting potential. Then factor in the slope and course rating and you have your index. Mine is listed now on GHIN as a 4.4. Yet I certainly dont average 76.

Virginia uses GHIN, just looked up the VSGA. Doesn't say how much to join so I will sign up through USGA for the GHIN tomorrow.

Do the scores have to be posted at the course or can I do it from home, for GHIN?

The handicap system is different depending on location. GHIN seems to be the most common of them, but depending on where you are, it might be something else.
For some reason, people think their handicap is their average score. If they shoot 80 a lot, they think their index would be an 8. Unfortunately, that is not really what the index is. Your handicap is not your average score, but your shooting potential. Then factor in the slope and course rating and you have your index. Mine is listed now on GHIN as a 4.4. Yet I certainly dont average 76.

I sure did until I played a very tough short course.

My home course doesn't charge extra for handicap service, it's part of your monthly dues. I am pretty lucky, I live less than 2 miles from the Gary Player designed course and my $75 a month dues gets me unlimited golf, I just pay an $8 cart fee.

My home course doesn't charge extra for handicap service, it's part of your monthly dues. I am pretty lucky, I live less than 2 miles from the Gary Player designed course and my $75 a month dues gets me unlimited golf, I just pay an $8 cart fee.

Thats a deal! One of the courses I was looking at is $215 a month and a $13 cart fee and its 40 minutes from me. The close one, 5 minutes is $10,000 a year! I think I will keep paying regular greens fee's.

Its included in our Grand Cypress membership as well.

Ours is SNGA, not sure if it is part of GHIN or not. Included in my membership, but if you don't belong to a club you can join SNGA through their web based golf club for $30sih a year and get access to the index service.

Vince if you're planning on playing any events in MD you will need a GHIN. Where abouts in VA?

I need to check if My club has Ghin Included.

Virginia uses GHIN, just looked up the VSGA. Doesn't say how much to join so I will sign up through USGA for the GHIN tomorrow.

Do the scores have to be posted at the course or can I do it from home, for GHIN?

Each course is different. Our course will post scores if you leave a card. With our system in Indiana, you can post from home. In the old days all scores were posted by the course, but times have changed.

Vince if you're planning on playing any events in MD you will need a GHIN. Where abouts in VA?

If your asking where I live its just outside of Warrenton. As for tournaments, every once in a while I am asked if I want to play in one so I figured I may as well get an official HC.
Hagerstown is about an hour and a half from me. I am playing BullRun this afternoon, do you play anywhere in Virginia?

my Ghin fee is $25 a year

VSGA uses GHIN system (requires joining a club). But you can use GolfNet via Mid-Atlantic section of PGA (covers MD, DC and VA). http://www.ushandicap.com/social.asp

Thats a deal! One of the courses I was looking at is $215 a month and a $13 cart fee and its 40 minutes from me. The close one, 5 minutes is $10,000 a year! I think I will keep paying regular greens fee's.

You can join Bull Run for $3000. GHIN service is part of the membership. http://www.golfbullrun.com/membership-info.php

The other difference is that the USGA GHIN will average the 10 best of your last 20 scores using an equitable stroke score. That is a max number of strokes counted on one hole, bringing down your round score if you blow up and take an 8 or 9. That could adjust to a 5, 6 or 7 depending on your handicap. Another difference is the tournament score adjustment if needed. i.e., it will adjust down your handicap if you always shoot better than your handicap by a certain % in tournament play only.

I've never played a tournament that uses handicaps where they have accepted anything except a USGA card. Besides, it goes to a good cause.

I paid $45 for my first year and its $20 each year after that I believe in Colorado? I could be wrong though....

as for posting, my home course will post my scores there for league play, but when i don't play there I post scores here: http://www.ghin.com/

I don't think anyone recognizes free handicaps for tournament play.

yep got to man up. There has to be a standard and ghin is it if you want to play tournaments or away from home course.

Sorry but so many issues with handicap already if they just allowed anyone to be used no way a handicap game would be fair. just look at yours 4 shot difference b/w the two that's a 26% variance

Am I missing something? You said you joined the USGA in your OP. Doesn't USGA membership come with a free handicap? It always did as far as I know.

Back