Course Management - I'm Stuck

Interesting...how does the scor wedge differ to the Vokey wedges?

Hey man - I have a 61 degree SCOR that I am not playing (actually up for sale here). It may just work great for you within 75 yards. If it does not sell this week I can bring it for our round next Monday for you to check out. Regardless, I will have the SCOR 47, 52, and 57 with me for you and Freddie to check out.

You never know, hitting from different tees might just get you out of some ruts that you don't even know you are in. Last year I played with an older guy that hit from the red tees, so to save time I hit from there as well. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. it was almost like playing on a completely different course.

I was used to hitting from certain spots so I never really had to think about course management anymore. Hitting from the different tees, I had to rethink every hole and play shots I normally don't.

That might be something to think about for the people that don't have access to a lot of different courses and are bored with the same old thing every time.

Great thoughts everyone. It is funny, I usually do play worse from the whites than I do from the blues. The futher out I get on a course, the better I play. And I know the reason, for the most part, bad course management. I am going to take a page out of JB's short game work, and concentrate on the chipping. It's my least confident thing I do, 80 yards in, and I know it needs to change. But in the end, I am what I am, and chicks dig the longball. Ha! :D

What kind of Nike wedges are you talking about

Tappin!

May not be released yet, but I believe Nike has a dual bounce wedge recently released or soon to be released.

Interesting...how does the scor wedge differ to the Vokey wedges?

SCORS have multiple bounce soles that help in a wide variety of lies. Check out the test thread. Vokeys have a single bounce that may or not be right for every lie. Not trying to sway you to a SCOR. Just presenting an alternative that has worked for me.

SCORS have multiple bounce soles that help in a wide variety of lies. Check out the test thread. Vokeys have a single bounce that may or not be right for every lie. Not trying to sway you to a SCOR. Just presenting an alternative that has worked for me.
Not at all, I think mcook77 plays with the SCOR wedges, so will try and sneak them out of his bag come Monday and see what happens.

Not at all, I think mcook77 plays with the SCOR wedges, so will try and sneak them out of his bag come Monday and see what happens.

Ummm yeah.....I offered that several posts up you skimmer.

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Ummm yeah.....I offered that several posts up you skimmer.
No skimming, just don't need the 61 degree. As with you, I'm also looking to possibly move down in lofts, I currently have a 60, 56 and 52. Thinking about going 58, 54 and 50. I just thought you may be sporting more than one SCOR wedge? Wrong?

Hit 3 wood or even 5 wood and get to just inside 100 yards but not too close or buy a 64 wedge and hit a full shot. It is hard to hit a 64 farther than about 60 yards or so.

No skimming, just don't need the 61 degree. As with you, I'm also looking to possibly move down in lofts, I currently have a 60, 56 and 52. Thinking about going 58, 54 and 50. I just thought you may be sporting more than one SCOR wedge? Wrong?

Just messing with ya buddy!! I am sporting more than one, that's why I said I would also have the 47, 52, and 57 there for you and Freddie to check out. :D

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Just messing with ya buddy!! I am sporting more than one, that's why I said I would also have the 47, 52, and 57 there for you and Freddie to check out. :D

Tappin' from CM's iPad!
Oh you did? Then your right......I missed that part!

Hey man - I have a 61 degree SCOR that I am not playing (actually up for sale here). It may just work great for you within 75 yards. If it does not sell this week I can bring it for our round next Monday for you to check out. Regardless, I will have the SCOR 47, 52, and 57 with me for you and Freddie to check out.

The Scor Wedges are very nice Nate. I hit one of Cookies the last time we played together, I think it was the 47*. They are like Wedge Hybrids.

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Cookie, bring the 61*. I might be interested in it.

Cookie, bring the 61*. I might be interested in it.

Yep, you got it. No interest from the sale ad yet so it should still be in my possession.

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Good lord Cookie. You are not much of a salesman. You should have said "OK I will tell the 5 guys that are trying to buy these that they will have to wait a week before the bidding war can start."

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Good lord Cookie. You are not much of a salesman. You should have said "OK I will tell the 5 guys that are trying to buy these that they will have to wait a week before the bidding war can start."

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I think I may have a bidding war between Nate and Texasgolfer in person if all goes well. :D

Nate, no offense but, if your handicap is a true 2.8, how can you not hit these kind of shots? whether they be off the tee or shorter wedges 110-in ? to get to a 2.8 you need a short game...are you just 'bored' or tired of hitting short wedges to greens? you mentioned trouble once you get 110 or so out...well, are you able to get on from inside that or would it be better to even be further back, say, 150 out where you could hit a full 7, 8, or 9 or whatever iron it may be....? being that we don't know the course, nor your abilities, it's kind of a shot in the dark as to which would work better for you. personally, i'd go to the practice range if you know you're going to be going off whites and hit everything BUT the driver. get acquainted with hitting your 3w or long irons off the tee and give yourself some reasonable yardage going in if you're truly unconfident about short wedges. if you feel like driving is your strength, instead of going to the driving range and hitting some long irons, hit only wedges to varying distances/trajectories so you are comfortable before you hit the course. just my .02, best of luck!

Nate, no offense but, if your handicap is a true 2.8, how can you not hit these kind of shots? whether they be off the tee or shorter wedges 110-in ? to get to a 2.8 you need a short game...are you just 'bored' or tired of hitting short wedges to greens? you mentioned trouble once you get 110 or so out...well, are you able to get on from inside that or would it be better to even be further back, say, 150 out where you could hit a full 7, 8, or 9 or whatever iron it may be....? being that we don't know the course, nor your abilities, it's kind of a shot in the dark as to which would work better for you. personally, i'd go to the practice range if you know you're going to be going off whites and hit everything BUT the driver. get acquainted with hitting your 3w or long irons off the tee and give yourself some reasonable yardage going in if you're truly unconfident about short wedges. if you feel like driving is your strength, instead of going to the driving range and hitting some long irons, hit only wedges to varying distances/trajectories so you are comfortable before you hit the course. just my .02, best of luck!
gioguy21.....I stated in my previous post that most of the issues are coming from the dormant winter grass being cut way too short and the over watering around the greens. It's 50/50 what your going to find under the ball (too much give or a tight dry bounce lie). I like to dig at the ball and take a good divot on my wedge shots. These conditions are really making that tough to do. Almost have to hit the ball first and pick it clean. I've also recently changed some things in my wedge game that are starting to come around.

I wish I could get out there and practice 5 days a week like I use to do, but a job, 3 kiddos and my lovely wife would probably be the first to put me out in the backyard with the dog if that happened. With my recent back to back 85's, my 2.8 is going to be slowely on the rise. I have a couple of rounds at the end of last summer where I shot 75/76 and the course rating was a 76.3 and the slope was 140ish. Those rounds were adjusted scores of a -3 and -2. A couple more rounds and those scores will be falling off the top 20.

You being a 4.4, I'm sure there are things that you are still working at. Why is it hard to believe that a 2.8 handicap is finding something difficult to do currently? It's the game of golf. I use to be a poor driver of the ball but now I'm longer and straighter. I use to have, what I thought, was a great short game, but now it's not where I want it. We are all working on parts of our game (when we can) to get better. If I could hit all the shots in the game of golf, I would not be a 2.8. :bashful:

But I hear what you and the rest are saying. I agree. Practice, practice and practice. I have already hit more 30-60 yard chips these last 2 weeks than probably the last 2 years. Kind of feel like this right now:

Time to stop thinking and start doing!

Depending on how often you play, I would switch things up from round to round or from hole to hole. That way you get to work on all areas of your game, from driver and fairways all the way down to the wedges.

Nice to know I am not the only one struggling out there right now! And you did not even mention the greens. The combination a dry summer and wet January creating some issues. For the most part lately when playing the white tees I only pull the driver out about 3-4 holes a round. Get into a bit of a issue on wedge bounce, and need to get one with more bounce. Use a 54.08 Vokey with the tight lies, but with the sand in those bunkers need a 54.14. Working on hitting 20-85 yd shots with different clubs and trajectories right now. I want to learn the low trajectory 120 yard shot skip and check shot one of the guys in the MGA tournameet had. He was money all day with that shot.

Nice to know I am not the only one struggling out there right now! And you did not even mention the greens. The combination a dry summer and wet January creating some issues. For the most part lately when playing the white tees I only pull the driver out about 3-4 holes a round. Get into a bit of a issue on wedge bounce, and need to get one with more bounce. Use a 54.08 Vokey with the tight lies, but with the sand in those bunkers need a 54.14. Working on hitting 20-85 yd shots with different clubs and trajectories right now. I want to learn the low trajectory 120 yard shot skip and check shot one of the guys in the MGA tournameet had. He was money all day with that shot.
I wish I was getting Tadashi and mcook77 out to eldorado but we're playing Monday so the club is closed. Would love to see what they thought of our greens. LOL!

I wish I was getting Tadashi and mcook77 out to eldorado but we're playing Monday so the club is closed. Would love to see what they thought of our greens. LOL!

Yeah, they may not be too happy when their first putt rolls off the green on 6. LOL Maybe the best bet is to take an old wedge and practice hitting some wedge shots trying to replicate some of those lies. Drop a ball on the cart path by 10 and 18 and pitch to the putting green. That would be similar to a couple of the lies I had last time out. LOL Could probably figure out something to create some spongy lies also. Come on spring!

i completely understand nate, (sorry just getting back to reply to your response) i read your original post again and can understand the issues with bone dry and soggy fairways. my suggestions were just to find other ways to build your confidence before a round. practice hitting off of thin lies, soaking wet lies...build that confidence up...take on each shot thinking, 'ok, i see my lie, what can i do to make it work the right way for me...' and commit to it.

Back