jwalker497

Reaction score
Handicap
I have this very cool practice facility where you can hit off the grass. I was thinking that it would be cool if I could draw a divot line to check to see where my divots are and I am wondering if you had any ideas what I could use to draw that line. I was think maybe some white chalk or some white spray paint of some kind. Just a small white line, I thought about a white chalk line or some small can of spray paint - Any Ideas??

id check with your practice facility before you start spraying up their grass... as far as a divot line im not exactly sure what you are talking about. i can see my divots after i hit my shot. and i use alignment sticks to see if they are online or not.

Lay down two alignment sticks and take your divots between them. Don't hit the sticks, it's a good drill to help you become a better ball striker.

id check with your practice facility before you start spraying up their grass... as far as a divot line im not exactly sure what you are talking about. i can see my divots after i hit my shot. and i use alignment sticks to see if they are online or not.

Ditto. Just use an alignment rod to check the line and place a tee in the ground at the front of your ball a few inches to the side to see where the divot starts.

Put down alignment sticks for directional verification and put a tee (or tees) down just behind the ball. This should tell you what you want to know. Works great for me. Your divot should start in front of the tee to show that you made ball-first contact.

Lets says you use a tee. Where do you line the tee up with? Would you put the tee in-line with front. middle or back of the ball?

Lets says you use a tee. Where do you line the tee up with? Would you put the tee in-line with front. middle or back of the ball?

Front (closest to target) if you want to practice hitting ball first.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I would put a tee on both sides of the ball. It's a good drill since you want to swing through the gate without clipping either tee.

I don't think I am explaining myself. I am right handed if I look down at the ball do I place the tee in line with the middle of the ball or in line with the front of the ball (which if I was looking down from overhead would be the left side of the ball side my club is not on OR the back of the ball aka the right side (from obverhead) the side my club makes contact?

I don't think I am explaining myself. I am right handed if I look down at the ball do I place the tee in line with the middle of the ball or in line with the front of the ball (which if I was looking down from overhead would be the left side of the ball side my club is not on OR the back of the ball aka the right side (from obverhead) the side my club makes contact?

If you want to make sure you are taking a good divot versus hitting it fat, I would line the tee up with the front of the ball. You want your divot to start in front of where the ball was sitting.

Lay down two alignment sticks and take your divots between them. Don't hit the sticks, it's a good drill to help you become a better ball striker.

I've never thought of doing that. Great idea young Thainer!

The left as you first explained. Its a great drill for learning to make solid ball first contact and a small divot. The idea is to get to were the divot starts at or slightly beyond the tee. I was horrible with my irons until Andy, our past resident pro, gave me this tip last year. It helps create compression on the ball and better direction as you won't be sweeping everything left. Good luck and keep us posted.

edit: Thainers tip above works well with this to set your alignment and ingrain the feel of direction, great tip.

Back