99srxman

@srxman STAY LEFT!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
24ish
So from not ever owning a wedge other than a sand and a pitching wedge how does one go about selecting one ????:confused2::confused2:

Usually pick a loft that is between your wedge and sw first.

Do you have any idea of what sort of wedge(s) you would like?

Do you want a traditional blade design or a cavity back etc?

The first question you have to ask yourself when adding anything to your bag is "Why am I doing it"
Once you figure out and have a good reason as to why you are adding or replacing anything, the decision process becomes easier.
If the answer is "because most have more wedges". I would wait until you have a need for them that is recognizable.
Just my opinion.

Thanks guys gives some things to think about the reason i ask is getting inside of 30yrds i tend to over shoot or come up short i was thinking of a lob wedge or something to pop it up more like a 60 deg??? not sure..

Sw 56 pw 46

Thats a pretty big gap there, I would be looking at a 50* or 51* GW.

Agreed.. What do you do if you are in between these two clubs 99srx? I feel like closing that gap is a heck of a lot more important than buying a lob wedge.. Heck, open the face on that 56 a bit and suddenly you're at 58 or 60 and lob it like that.

51* leaves a 5* gap between the 3 wedges

So maybe a 51 gw and 60 lw??? then do you just go out and start trying out different brands and see what works ???

So maybe a 51 gw and 60 lw??? then do you just go out and start trying out different brands and see what works ???

I would go with just a 51 to start with. As for brands thats all down to personal preference. Do you have an idea of what brand you would like?

Heck, open the face on that 56 a bit and suddenly you're at 58 or 60 and lob it like that. Maybe i will try that first????

Currently iam set up with TOUR EDGE EXOTICS and love em..

much like putters its all preference. I prefer to carry a 60 and hoping soon to bag a 64. Why? Because I want to take the variables out of opening up the face etc. But also like JB says, ask yourself why am I doing it? I know there are quite a few guys on this forum that bag only 2 or 3 wedges and others with 4.

Are you trying to fill a gap or the gap?

I have gone from 3 down to 2 due to not using the 60* much. I just open up the face of the 56 if I need a little extra height

Don't get caught up in degree gaps, go hit some wedges and get your distance gaps worked out.

So from not ever owning a wedge other than a sand and a pitching wedge how does one go about selecting one ????:confused2::confused2:

I currently bag 4 wedges, I have a 48, 50, 54, 58 degree. I have so many to cover my distances no other reason. I can open my 58 up if I need to hit the ball a little higher. Like said earlier, I wouldn't concern yourself so much with what degree wedge to purchase, but concern yourself with getting your distances covered.

Thats a pretty big gap there, I would be looking at a 50* or 51* GW.

I agree. Fill the gap. I'm also not a big fan of wedges over 56 or even 58 degrees.

My wedges fill in the gaps nicely PW 46* GW 50* SW 54* and LW 58* and I love my 58* LW

The first question you have to ask yourself when adding anything to your bag is "Why am I doing it"
Once you figure out and have a good reason as to why you are adding or replacing anything, the decision process becomes easier.
If the answer is "because most have more wedges". I would wait until you have a need for them that is recognizable.
Just my opinion.

BINGO!

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Back