Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

I was only able to hit the EZONE twice yesterday during my league. The first was a tee shot that traveled about 235 yards with a slight fade. Beautiful ball flight with a nice easy swing. The second shot was one I am not used to and have never hit before. Our course is extremely dry due to the high heat and little rain here for the past couple of weeks. I was about 35-40 yards from the green, which was downhill. The grass was completely brown and the ground was very hard. I wasn't confident in my pitching on this particular shot, so I decided to pull the EZONE out and 'putt' it. The ball got about 2 feet off the ground and traveled maybe 5-8 yards in the air, and rolled the rest of the way onto the green. I was left with about 5 feet for birdie. I couldn't believe I pulled the shot off. There are so many uses for this club in the many situations you can find yourself in on the course.

Quick update on the EZONE:

Played 9 holes last night but only used the hybrid on one hole.

Par 4, 395 yards. I tee'd off with the hybrid and put one straight as can be, just to the right of the 150 marker. This left me with about 175 to the hole. Unfortunately, I all the sudden decided to hit the ball into the water rather than the green but the hybrid worked great.

Danny P and I played again yesterday. And I used the Yonex twice. Once was on a bump and run shot that just nicked a little branch. Popped up in the air flew about 6 ft off the ground (I sort of got under it) nicked the branch and dropped just short of the fairway. I still had a clear shot to the flag but it wasn't my intended lie, stupid little branch. The second time was on a short par 4. I sort of muffed my tee shot and was about 190 out. Pulled the Yonex took a good swing at the ball and just pushed it right a little bit and landed pin high next to the green. All in all it wasn't too bad.

During leagues last night, I pulled the Yonex out hole 14. My tee shot went into the pond so I was hitting 3 from just before the pond. The fairway cuts over into the pond, so the pond comes into play twice on the same shot. At the beginning and just before the green. I was about 175 out with a back pin behind where the pond comes back in, so I had to fly it over the pond to the back left of the green. I swung out of my shoes almost, yanked my head and just pushed it way right! To the right of the green is cart path then a really big hill with tall rough. Sure enough I was on top of the hill in the tall stuff, look at the flag and I was pin high. If I would have caught this right, it would have been way too long. I was pin high, 20ft in the air on a hill. Man that ball would have been OB! I don't know why I swung so hard or what I was thinking... But it worked out okay since I chipped down to the green and one putted for bogey. I can't wait to get more range time with it.

TO BE CONTINUED...

It's a real handy shot to have in the bag, man. I love doing it

I'm glad to see the testers doing these type of shots during their testing, nice job!

I enjoyed reading that. Nice to see you can work the ball and with some practice, I see it being perfected.

I've never really found a use for chipping with the hybrid, but with everyone talking about it, I'm going to give it another go and see what I come up with.

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone! Keep it coming.

You never know until you try, right? I was at a range when I attempted most of these shots (I also did some on-course testing of these shots). A range up north has a huge oak tree in the middle of it. Thus, I was able to spend ample time and focus on these shots. That was a good thing, because it took some time working on that power draw shot.

awesome review!!! 90 % of my testing has been in actual play. I still have nothing but praise for this club. I have not hit my 3w since I started to play this Hybrid. I also forgot the name of the hybrid I just bought .It starts with Ma.... Lets just say this is it. I'm hitting longer straighter than any Hybrid I have ever owned. The ball flight is perfect for me. Practicing different shots with it. For me that is something. Having an 18 handicap Shot shapping hasnt been part of my game. But It is starting 2 be with this bad boy.. I cant wait to friday. so i can play this beauty again... I'm loving my Yonex Hybrid...

Put the EZONE back in play on Tuesday and was not disappointed at all. I now have a consitant goto shot with this club, a high draw. Not a Bubba Watson 'right turn' draw but a vere to the left draw. Off the deck or off a tee I have this shot shape. It's really nice to know that I don't have to think about anything once I am set and ready to hit the club. It's like Ron Poppel 'set it and forget it'.
If I need to manufacture a shot with it and can do that as well. I tried a few knock downs with it and was sucessful. It will take some consistant practice but it's a great club for just about any area of your game.
I hit twice on Tuesday and both times it did what I wanted and planned. I'm sure it will be used a few times this weekend at Grand Cypress, I'll be sure to post.

League play last night and I played the EZONE twice, both times off the tee. On hole 1, there is a layup at about 260 (downhill) with water for the rest of the hole. I played the EZONE and hit a perfect shot straight down the middle that landed about 20 yards from the water. Proceed to duff my 8I into the water, but that's another story.

I also used it on the second tee but my old hooking friend came back. I hooked it horribly left and OB. Luckily our league doesn't penalize distance so I just dropped from where I went OB.

Though I am hitting the EZONE much better than when I started I can't help but notice a few things. First off, every 3 shots or so I will have a huge hook. This probably has something to do with me closing the face at address but I need to investigate that problem. Second, I notice that I'm not really getting considerable distance when hitting this club. I have a Mashie M4 (22*) and notice that I am hitting it just as far as the Yonex (18*). I also notice that my ball flight with the Yonex is still considerably lower than the Mashie. Again this could be coming from my address and I will have to investigate that. But I thought I would express some of my concerns.

More to come soon!

I went and played a quick 18 last night. I shot an 86. I hit the Yonex 3 different times with 3 different shots.... First time was my second shot on a par 5. I was trying to land it about 85 yards out over a sand pit right at a little dog leg right. My ball was laying on the side of a hill above my feet. Swung and hit a pretty nice shot left of were I was aiming. It put me about 115 out. Ball had a pretty nice flight and faded just a tad. I think it went left of where I was aiming cuz of the lie on the side of the hill, i never compensated for it. The second one was the next hole. I hit my tee shot under a tree and tried to bump and run back to the fair way. This worked out pretty well again. I'm really liking this club bumping instead of turning an iron in to punch shot. The third time I hit it was on hole 15. Goes out 235 with a 90* dog leg left. I hit my tee shot just to the turn, and left me 192 out (swing by swing gps on my phone) took the "DRAGON" out. I tried to keep it a little low this time cuz of a branch hanging over the fairway and it worked out awesome. The ball flew to about 5 feet in front of the green bounced once in the fairway then once on the green then a dead stop! Left me with a 15 ft putt but was a real nice shot under the branch. With keeping the ball a little lower this time, i'm surprized that it didn't roll out more.

On a side note, i did find 2 junk balls while I was out and decided to hit them with the "DRAGON". I figured I'd try to draw the ball like interlooper was trying at the range. Well needless to say the two shots didn't work out at all. I haven't really tried to work the ball before. But after reading his thoughts, it has me trying. I topped both of them and they were worm burners... I will definitely try this at the range soon! I really hope I can get start to work the ball just a little at least. That would be a start.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Thanks for all the good info, testers. I'm enjoying the feedback.

Thanks for all the good info, testers. I'm enjoying the feedback.

Agreed. Everyone is doing a nice job with the input and reviews.

nice update bullfrog!

I went and played a quick 18 last night. I shot an 86. I hit the Yonex 3 different times with 3 different shots.... First time was my second shot on a par 5. I was trying to land it about 85 yards out over a sand pit right at a little dog leg right. My ball was laying on the side of a hill above my feet. Swung and hit a pretty nice shot left of were I was aiming. It put me about 115 out. Ball had a pretty nice flight and faded just a tad. I think it went left of where I was aiming cuz of the lie on the side of the hill, i never compensated for it. The second one was the next hole. I hit my tee shot under a tree and tried to bump and run back to the fair way. This worked out pretty well again. I'm really liking this club bumping instead of turning an iron in to punch shot. The third time I hit it was on hole 15. Goes out 235 with a 90* dog leg left. I hit my tee shot just to the turn, and left me 192 out (swing by swing gps on my phone) took the "DRAGON" out. I tried to keep it a little low this time cuz of a branch hanging over the fairway and it worked out awesome. The ball flew to about 5 feet in front of the green bounced once in the fairway then once on the green then a dead stop! Left me with a 15 ft putt but was a real nice shot under the branch. With keeping the ball a little lower this time, i'm surprized that it didn't roll out more.

On a side note, i did find 2 junk balls while I was out and decided to hit them with the "DRAGON". I figured I'd try to draw the ball like interlooper was trying at the range. Well needless to say the two shots didn't work out at all. I haven't really tried to work the ball before. But after reading his thoughts, it has me trying. I topped both of them and they were worm burners... I will definitely try this at the range soon! I really hope I can get start to work the ball just a little at least. That would be a start.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Played again yesterday with Danny P. Only got 1 chance to hit the Yonex. I sort of pushed my tee shot on a par 5 (hole11) and it landed into the waste bunker between holes 11 and 12. It runs pretty much the whole length of 11 and all of 12 (par 4). I took out my 3 wood (third swing ever with it) and topped it ball went screaming up the bunker and out to the fairway. Left me with 193 to pin (phone gps swing by swing). I looked at Danny P and said 193 sounds like, then we both said "YONEX" at the same time. So, I grabbed the Yonex and to a really nice tempo'd hard swing and the ball just flew! Right after I hit the ball Danny P. says "GOLF SHOT". And I started laughing. It was almost dead at the pin, but a little left. Ball drops about 5 feet in front of the green and rolls about 6 ft left and 2 ft past the hole! Missed the dang putt for birdie! Man my putting is killing me lately! I really need to practice it.

Needless to say I really still like "THE DRAGON"! Thanks again THP for giving me the opportunity to test this club. It is very forgiving and the shaft is just a BEAST!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Update!

Played the EZONE twice during my round on Saturday. First time was over a forced carry of 200 yards. I had roughly 230 yards to the center of the green with anything less than 200 ending up in the marsh. Pulled the Yonex and smacked it beautifully. Carried and landed on the front fringe of the green.

Second time was on a par 5. I had hooked my drive left into the rough. I pulled the Yonex and smashed one down the left of the fairway about 220 yards. The EZONE finally seems to be coming around for me after a couple weeks of a love/hate relationship. I agree with Bullfrog that the shaft in this club is wonderful.

More to come...

Ok so now I dont know what to do. Since playing with this Yonex. My 3w 5w are left in bag doing absolutely nothing. I think Saturdays round they will be out of bag & I will put my 3i & 4i. People might think oh they are testing they have to write good things. That is not the case this club has saved me from every where. I still have to learn how to shape the shot better,but it is a work in progress. I can Draw it I can hook it. My fade is like a baby, but I know it will grow with more time. Oh I also dont use My Other hybrid so I have room. If i can play my long irons it will be nice if not. Im trading the woods and hybrid for another Yonex hybrid...... Other Testers I love your reviews ......

Headed to the range a little early today with my dad to work on a few things. First if which was a fade with my hybrid.
I actually began the range time with the EZONE. Make some smooth even tempo swings to get the muscles warmed up. One after another the ball shot off the club face into the hot heavy air. The ball was easily picked up against the blue sky. Not really worried about distance, more involved with the flight if ball.
I've been fighting my swing back into a fade swing and it has given me fits but I feel I will be a better player once I groove the swing.
Moving the ball left to right used come easy to me but now it's a struggle. The EZONE really makes it easy to practice the fade. Set the face left if your target and hold it off through impact. 50% performed the way I wanted. The other half....not so much but I stayed the course and started launching these mid flight fades. I was able to pick out various areas and hit this shot. Getting to tucked pins may be a little easier. The EZONE gave me immediate feedback on all mis-hits. Easy to adjust for the next swing when you know what happen on the previous. The EZONE still continues to impress, swing after swing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had played a crappy course in KY and didn't get to use the Yonex. But when I got home, I decided to go play 9 at my home course. I was really tired from the drive, so I didn't play very well. I did use the yonex to bump and run about 5 different times. Everyone seemed to pop up just a bit then run thru the rough pretty good! I also bumped one up to the green on a par 5 and it went burning past the green. Put too much UMPHF on it! A putter swing works great from under trees! I still really like this club eventhough I haven't had much of a chance lately to take a full shot with it. I will get to the range this week and hit a full large bucket and only take "THE DRAGON" with me. Try to shape shots and what not. I really haven't been able to "WORK" the ball before and really haven't tried to. That is rapidily starting to change.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Going to play golf with MarcW and Brock this weekend at Hawthorne Hills and Colonial in Lima Ohio. I will let both of them take a peek and swing at the DRAGON! Maybe they can give their feedback also.

3 shots with the Yonex in league play last night. The first was a nice draw around a dogleg on a short par 4. Ballflight was mid to high with about 15 yards of right to left movement. The second was a straight shot down the middle on another short par 4. The third shot was a downhill par 4 that has about a 90* dogleg right. The end of the dogleg is about 250, so the Yonex should have put me right in the middle of the fairway. I did not account for the rock hard ground and pretty much all dead grass, so my tee shot ran through the fairway by about 20 yards. The club is still performing great and is my go to club when I need to hit a fairway with ease.

OK folks... Following this weekend I will be doing my third "general review" that will give my review of having the club for 1 month. Until that time, here is another mini-review piece for my "specialty shot" section. To refresh your memory, I have put this club through the ringer on several different shots that would only be used in those one-off type of circumstances. Though these shots are only needed once in a blue moon, they are important nonetheless. Thus far I have tested the club in the following circumstances: (i) the "hybrid-chip" up an short grass embankment to the green; (ii) a long fairway bunker; and (iii) the-bend-around-a-tree-shot (both super fade and super draw). This week's specialty shot was: the into the strong wind shot.

Update # 2(c) mini update

Specialty shots: B+ (Previous grade: A-). I was curious as to how this club would perform in the circumstances where there was a significant wind directly into my face. I have wanted to try this shot for some time now, but the weather just hadn't cooperated... until yesterday. We had a "severe" thunderstorm and wind advisory late afternoon. Forecasters had stated that there could be up to 70 mph gusts. So I grabbed my clubs and made my way to the nearest range with a covered hitting area. While the wind gusts were not as strong as predicted, there was a very stiff wind in the face.

After an appropriate warm up, I pulled out the Yonex EZONE and swung away. I wanted to attempt three shots into the wind: (i) the low straight bullet; (ii) the running draw; and (iii) the low fade.

I started with the low straight bullet. I placed the ball about 1-2 inches further back in my stance, slightly weakened my right-hand grip, took a 3/4 quarter swing with a shortened follow-through and, indeed, the first shot was exactly as imagined. There really wasn't any specific adjustments needed other than mentioned above. I hit several of these shots with the same result: a low flying, wind-cutting shot that was fairly straight. The distance was much shorter due to the wind, but it didn't get eaten up by the wind.

The next was the low flying draw. I did the same adjustments as above, except I kept my normal right-hand grip instead of weakening it. First shot was low-flying, but it was a significant hook. The next 5-10 shots ranged from the aforementioned hook to a wind-piercing straight shot. After that, I surmised that in this circumstance where a wind-fighting draw was needed, I would be most comfortable using this club to hit the low-hook that would run. So that is what I did for the next several shots. I purposefully intended on hitting low hooks that would scream through the wind and then run forever. It was actually quite effective. While I would have preferred to be able to hit a low, slight draw, I found that it/I was just too inconsistent to be able to predict the result. With the low hook, however, I was definitely able to see some consistency and could see myself using that shot if the circumstances ever dictated so.

The last shot attempt was the low fade into the wind. As I first imagined, I knew this was going to be a tough task. I just couldn't keep the ball low with the fade. Once in a while it would work perfectly, but for the most part the wind would grab it and it would just keep climbing and climbing. I think this is what should be expected considering the fade spin, the open face and the strong wind. I concluded that this would not be a shot I would attempt if the circumstances otherwise were ripe for such a shot.

Also, I have been enjoying the "specialty shot" section of my reviews with this Yonex EZONE hybrid. If you would like me to attempt any other specialty shots with this club, please let me know and I will see what I can do. Till next time...

Very interesting stuff, looper! One of my favorite shots with the Heavy (that I hate to have to take) is the very low bullet. It's a great way to get out of trouble and I can control distance by choking up.

Very interesting stuff, looper! One of my favorite shots with the Heavy (that I hate to have to take) is the very low bullet. It's a great way to get out of trouble and I can control distance by choking up.

Yeah; I also foung the low-drawing bullet to be effective out of the thick rough too (explained in my review #1). The testing of the Yonex has been a lot of fun thus far.

Update!

I played yesterday in my work league and hit the Yonex twice.

On the first hole, par 4, I hit it off the heel badly and put it into the woods. Luckily it bounced out somehow and ended up in the fairway. On the second hole, I again teed off with the Yonex. Again I hit it off the heel. It did manage to find the left rough but I wasn't aware of that. I took a mulligan (league rules) and topped it directly into the water. :banghead:

Can't blame these on the Yonex as I think my swing was just rubbish to start out with.

I had league play last night. Got to hit the Dragon twice. We played the back 9. The first shot I took with it was on hole 10. I sliced my tee shot then took out my R11 rescue. Took a good swing and topped the heck out of it. It rolled about 120 yds on the ground, you know what I call a worm burner. Put me right under a pine tree with no back swing per say about 125 yds out. So I decided to punch the "DRAGON". I turned the face in a little and then I took a nice putter stroke, like I've mentioned before. The ball popped up about a 1.5 feet in the air flew about 10 yds then started running fast thru the grass up to the green. It wound up stopping about 10 yards short but was the shot I intended to make. It seems that if I try something with it, short of working the ball, so far I seem to hit it the way I try.

The second shot I had was on hole 14 which is the #1 handicap hole. I sort of topped my drive with a little slice to it and I was about 190 out with just a little tad of wind to my back. I was in the rough on the right side of the fairway. The green has a pond that comes into it and the green wraps around it. The pin placement was at the back behind where the pond comes into play. I grabbed the "DRAGON" and :golf2: hit it as hard as I could! EVERYTHING THAT I HAD! Ball flew straight as can be, and hit about 8 yrds past the pin up a little hill on the green and then rolled back about 2 ft down the hill towards the pin. :golf3: Missed the putt for birdie but made par... DANG PUTTING! :angry::at-wits-end::pissed-off:

AGAIN I can't explain how much I think this shaft is a beast ! The harder I swing the club it seems the straighter it goes with a great mid to high flight!

Busy week for me in Atlanta but I did manage to practice. My father has built a hitting area on the side of my parents house. I talked him into an expensive mat to hit balls off. It has the traditional tight green lie and the fake grass lie as well. Going out an hitting balls with my dad is common placed. This visit was no different except I really worked on my plane the nights I got out there. The area is 50' long and 12' high at the opening and 30' at the bottom (slanted hitting area)
I was working on my plane, weight transfer and feel of the ball off the club face. I primarily worked with my tourstriker until I was good and warm (not hard to do in Atlanta since it reach 100+ this week)
I started hitting the EZONE in the fake grass area of the matt. The familiar click off the club face was music to my ears. Not worrying about ball flight or shape allowed me to really feel the ball off the face of the club. Shot after shot clicked off the face of my 19* Yonex. You know that feeling of the ball compressing for a fraction of a second before it rockets off into golf space!? I had a few of those and it felt oh so noice.
I adjusted my stance and starting swinging at what I thought was about 75% of my power to be sure I dropped into the slot. Better result to say the least (picked that up from THP radio the other day, listen to the show if you haven't already) I kept this up for the rest of my time and really became one with my swing and the various positions of the club through the swing. The Yonex is such an easy club to swing. It has become my favorite club, I wish every club felt as good.
My Dad joined in on the fun and started his own little groove with the Dragon aka Yonex EZONE. Click, click, click.....he turns and looks at me, eyes wide-open in amazement. He says I dont remember it feeling this good on the course. He hits a few more and hands it to me. He grabs his Sonartec from his bag. Thud, thud ....thud...the sound of him hitting behind the ball on a matt sitting on a cement slab. He gets in position to hit another...clack is the sound (not really but it is different than the EZONE) he looks deflated. He used to really enjoy the set of Sonartecs I got him. Now he is hooked on my new golf drug, yonexectasy
Christmas is a few months away but I'm sure Santa will be searching for these on my dad's list. This in my opinion is the best hybrid I have ever hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like this hybrid is a keeper. Big changes from the first posts when the shanks and the hooks were abound!!

Back