Losing Golf Spikes - Epiphany Related To Balance

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
A few month ago, I bought a pair of Ecco's. The 2nd time I wore them during a round, I lost the back left spike. So, I replaced. The 3rd time, I lost the back left spike, again, along with the left/mid spike next to that one. Needless to say, my opinion of Ecco went way down.

On a somewhat related note, I swing 2* upright. And, I line the ball up on the hosel and then hit the ball on the sweet spot. I've done this for 10+ years and just accepted that was just the way I swung.

WELLLL, this week the above two situations finally worked themselves out in my brain and I think I've solved both issues. I figured out that, at address and thru impact, my weight was slightly on the heels of my feet. Thru impact, the imbalance would cause me to lean backwards about an inch. But, as I followed thru, my body would try to correct itself and I would end up mostly on balance on my follow thru. But, the weight on my heels at impact would cause me to spin on that left heel a little bit. The resulting torque was undoing my spikes.

I've never really thought about what my left foot does on the golf swing. I've only thought about the right foot, especially having it end up on the toe with the follow thru. So, after a round of golf or a range session, there's a nice mud spot on the right toe.

The last few range sessions, I have been working on a more balanced stance between the balls of my feet and my heels. I can now line the ball up on the sweet spot and still hit the sweet spot, instead of catching shots nearer the toe.

I think there was a balance and weight transfer article in one of the major golf mags that did some bio-metric studies showing how the weight moved from address all the way to follow thru, for different types of swings. But, I can't find it. That's what got me first thinking about the balance issue.

So, if you occasionally lose the same spike on your shoes, maybe you have a balance issue that should be worked on.

I think the article was on acceleration in last months Golf or Golf Digest. It had the word ACCELERATION on the cover whichever it was. I remember that one showing how weight typically moves through the feet for different types of hitters (ie. slicers, drawers, faders).

Funny how footwork plays a part in every sport. Even when they are planted!!!

It's amazing how something like this makes you figure out your swing. Golf is a very funny sport

Tap tap taparoo

Balance is something I really had to force myself to concentrate on as I was costing myself shots and making poor swings because I was simply not taking the time to make sure I was in proper balance every time.

Balance is almost the most important part of the golf swing. Without it, the good shots rarely come. The easiest way I can sum it up for myself is pretend like your a shortstop getting ready to field a ground ball. You're athletic, on the balls of your feet, ready to move in any direction. I try to feel that in my golf stance.

I can't imagine having the guts to line the ball up with the hosel! Wow! Glad you figured that one out.

If I remember correctly, Sam Snead said that sometimes he used to hit balls in his bare feet to get his balance back. I didn't have my first pair of golf shoes until I started to get more serious with my game at 35. Before that, I just used to wear sneakers. My swing was much, much smoother, in control and in balance. I just may go back to that to stop my over-swinging.

Back